Idaho Spring Bear, units 14, 15, 16, 16a, 17 or 19

Thanks to all who contributed to the other Idaho Spring Bear thread. Tons of great info there. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, or get on anyone's honey hole... but... I have several youngsters between 13 and 18, all first time Bear hunters but experienced deer hunters. They have decided that for their Spring Break this year, they want me to take them to North Idaho to look for a Bear or wolf. They only have Easter Weekend (April 15-18) before they have to head back to school, and I recognize that May or June would probably be more productive, but our summer is already booked up. We would like to be in unit 14, 15, 16, 16a, or 17, partly for nostalgic reasons... I lived in Kamiah until I was about 11 years old... about 30 years ago... and we thought it would be fun to see if I remember anything about the area. I'm sure it's changed a lot.

Anyway, I've heard that that area has gotten a lot of snow this year, so that is going to limit our options. Does anyone have any general recommendations? At this point we are thinking about unit 16, maybe heading up the Selway a few miles from Lowell and hiking Glover or Boyd creek or one of the half dozen other trails going north from the river road/camp ground each day to find places to sit and glass, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any better suggestions. These kids would probably be thrilled just to see a bear on this trip if that helps. We will have a couple atvs at our disposal, but probably prefer to hike.

M77tyler

FNG
I grew up in riggins and live in orofino now. I spot and stalk hunted 18 and 14 for spring bears quite a bit. To me 18 had a lot more bears and but then again I hunted the open rim rock area and brushy draws. 14 I used to use predator calls a lot. The south side of the unit, honestly I never ventured further north than the free use road, just didn’t have the need. Hope this helps. I do know unit 12 and around the lochsa has a ton of bears but it’s very brushy! Atleast looking up the ridges whiles fishing.

Thanks to all who contributed to the other Idaho Spring Bear thread. Tons of great info there. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, or get on anyone's honey hole... but... I have several youngsters between 13 and 18, all first time Bear hunters but experienced deer hunters. They have decided that for their Spring Break this year, they want me to take them to North Idaho to look for a Bear or wolf. They only have Easter Weekend (April 15-18) before they have to head back to school, and I recognize that May or June would probably be more productive, but our summer is already booked up. We would like to be in unit 14, 15, 16, 16a, or 17, partly for nostalgic reasons... I lived in Kamiah until I was about 11 years old... about 30 years ago... and we thought it would be fun to see if I remember anything about the area. I'm sure it's changed a lot.

Anyway, I've heard that that area has gotten a lot of snow this year, so that is going to limit our options. Does anyone have any general recommendations? At this point we are thinking about unit 16, maybe heading up the Selway a few miles from Lowell and hiking Glover or Boyd creek or one of the half dozen other trails going north from the river road/camp ground each day to find places to sit and glass, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any better suggestions. These kids would probably be thrilled just to see a bear on this trip if that helps. We will have a couple atvs at our disposal, but probably prefer to hike.
What units did you end up hunting last year. And did you have any luck?