Wyoming Spring Bear

Npike4040

FNG
Looking to do a shed hunt/bear hunt in southern Wyoming this spring. Trying to find info of when the bear season usually gets closed due to harvest goals/female quotas. Is that info available or does anyone know approximately how long the season lasts? Will probably go regardless but hate to prepare for a hunt only to have it closed before i make the trip! Thanks all!

cnelk

WKR
Here is the 2023 quota sheet

cnelk

WKR
^^^^ More on that

The WGF will keep that Google doc 'live' during the season. You'll need to check it daily to see if quota has been met in the area you're hunting.

I must be retarded because I looked all over and couldn't quite ascertain that the bear tags were (generally) over the counter. I assume that to be the case, I just can't find it in writing on the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website.

I must be retarded because I looked all over and couldn't quite ascertain that the bear tags were (generally) over the counter. I assume that to be the case, I just can't find it in writing on the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website.

Maybe this is the verbiage that indicates it's OTC?

"Black bear licenses are available at the Cheyenne Headquarters, DepartmentRegional Offices, most license selling agents throughout the state and on theDepartment Website. https://wgfd.wyo.gov"

I check daily via the phone number when I have a bait site or have plans to head to the mountain. I may be overly cautious but I call right before I lose service and make sure the quota hasn’t been met. Then I take a screen shot of the time I called. My last bear I killed, quota closed when I was in the mountain out of service. Thankfully I had the picture. Otherwise, back to your area question, you can pm me for more area specifics but yes, those areas close quick. Archery and baiters get to go in a lot earlier so they get to see the bears coming to the baits and know they will get one.

Wyco307

FNG
Looking to do a shed hunt/bear hunt in southern Wyoming this spring. Trying to find info of when the bear season usually gets closed due to harvest goals/female quotas. Is that info available or does anyone know approximately how long the season lasts? Will probably go regardless but hate to prepare for a hunt only to have it closed before i make the trip! Thanks all!
The season generally closes the last few days of May through the first week of June. A lot of this correlates with snowpack and when guys are able to get on the mountain to bait. However, it is very unit specific with some units never meeting the quota.