Idaho Spring Bear

If the bear numbers were so much higher than the rest of the state it would probably be a 2 bear unit
I wouldn’t put much weight on certain units being 2 bear limit due to a higher density of bears. I think it’s more to encourage higher hunter participation in those units. If you look at the new NR caps on mule deer tags, many of the units that allow the second bear tag are the same units with historically low NR pressure for deer and the deer caps are not cut back to the 10-15% of past years like the majority of the state.

I wouldn’t put much weight on certain units being 2 bear limit due to a higher density of bears. I think it’s more to encourage higher hunter participation in those units. If you look at the new NR caps on mule deer tags, many of the units that allow the second bear tag are the same units with historically low NR pressure for deer and the deer caps are not cut back to the 10-15% of past years like the majority of the state.

That had nothing to do with low hunter participation and everything to do with the outfitters association wanting to ensure a client base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 has high bear harvest numbers because it’s in the backyard of 50+% of Idaho’s residents and it’s a big unit. I live in the valley and I’m starting to look elsewhere just because I can’t stand the crowds up there anymore. 33 is the next open unit up the highway from the valley. I’m like 99% convinced that the low(er) harvest numbers across much of the state has much more to do with lack of hunting effort than with lack of bears

Yeah and see thats what I dont know is the pressure and bear density out there. I am coming from MD where if you want to call our 5 day bear season a season the success rate hovers at 10%. The issue I see with trying 33,35,36 is you start stepping up in elevation which will play a big role in an early hunt.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on a couple units in the north/central Idaho area. Just some quick background, I'm a Montana resident and live/work fairly close to Idaho, and being that Idaho's season typically runs later than the bear units I hunt in Montana, I figured I'll have the opportunity to double dip this coming season.
My hunting partner and I are both extremely physically active, both because of our hobbies and work, and were hoping to stretch out legs out a bit hunting Spot and Stalk and backpacking in late May early June. I've looked into several units, and was hoping some info just about the feasibility of doing a successful Spot and Stalk, as I've read that a lot of those units can be very thick. As I mentioned we'd be doing all our trips in a backpacking style, and would try to be in the 3 day range for average trips but assuming there was a packout I'm sure our bosses would be lenient ;)
So, getting to the point, the units we've really focused in on are the following:
Unit 1
Unit 10
Unit 12
Unit 16
Unit 16A
Unit 17

I've done quite a bit of research just in forum searches, harvest stats, maps showing access, and digital imagery that gives me a good idea of where the best glassing can be done, but would love to hear from those who have hunted those areas. Thanks in advance.

SFN2821

FNG
I posted about this in a different thread a few days ago. Looking at the same early june time frame as you and your partner. The maps/glassing knobs don't seem to match up with the descriptions of the units. Interested to see what the forums have to say about some of these units.

bdg848

WKR
Okay, I'm purchasing my turkey tag for Iowa and choosing my season dates (3-7 day periods through April and first half of May.) I'm picking based off my Idaho bear hunt. I'd love a quick poll. What time should I do my bear hunt? Last week of April? First week of May? Does it matter between those or should I just pick one. Or am I way off on my dates? I'm gonna put in my time off slip in the next several days.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unit 1 is heavily timbered and would not look for many bears until 5/15 road access will be limited till at least this time in many of the drainages without tracks or quads....have wolf tag in hand as you will cut their tracks....be aware of grizz there is an expanding population in this unit....good luck it is very steep and will hold the snow very long🤙

Attachments

• 1B7C651B-1224-4A5E-BEA5-15B1C61FC507.jpeg
    1B7C651B-1224-4A5E-BEA5-15B1C61FC507.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 6CA2E05A-D10E-4F4D-AD5B-1F2A45C3D3EC.jpeg
    6CA2E05A-D10E-4F4D-AD5B-1F2A45C3D3EC.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 91
Okay, I'm purchasing my turkey tag for Iowa and choosing my season dates (3-7 day periods through April and first half of May.) I'm picking based off my Idaho bear hunt. I'd love a quick poll. What time should I do my bear hunt? Last week of April? First week of May? Does it matter between those or should I just pick one. Or am I way off on my dates? I'm gonna put in my time off slip in the next several days.

While I didn’t see anything about unit I would pick May 15 and schedule your hunt around it

Both

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I've wondered about that too. If you come across a bait station on public land, are you supposed to steer clear of the area? If that's the case, seems like a guide could tie up a lot of public.

I've wondered about that too. If you come across a bait station on public land, are you supposed to steer clear of the area? If that's the case, seems like a guide could tie up a lot of public.

I would say just use your best judgement. Don’t sit within shooting distance of the bait but don’t let it completely eliminate an entire drainage either.

14idaho

FNG
I would say just use your best judgement. Don’t sit within shooting distance of the bait but don’t let it completely eliminate an entire drainage either.

I don't think it's as popular as some think at least in the remote areas. I was in such an area from May to December and I never saw a bait station. I have friends in Calder Idaho that bait but in the more accessible areas(roads). We went about 75 percent on spring bear without bait. Once you figure out their pattern it's not difficult to kill one.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I wouldn't worry too much. There are guys that are serious, and others that just get on forums. Most don't have it in them to drive to explore new areas at the cost of "Too much time or too far". You see all these posts from guys who live within a days drive from a bear spot asking how it might be.......... A days drive!
What do you consider a days drive? 6hr window time to and from? More?

What do you consider a days drive? 6hr window time to and from? More?
12- hours is doable for what I would do. I have several plans this spring, and thinking ID is in my future. Looking at a 10 hour drive to set baits, come back up a week or so later.

14idaho

FNG
One thing I do know with baits is that they need to be continually kept baited or the bears will abandon them. Most states tell you what kind of containers you can use etc. Check the regulations. Good luck.

One thing I do know with baits is that they need to be continually kept baited or the bears will abandon them. Most states tell you what kind of containers you can use etc. Check the regulations. Good luck.

I agree 100% but there are ways to ensure you have bait always there for them. Half the bait barrels I see are made for guys who want to "Feed" bears.

I don't think it's as popular as some think at least in the remote areas. I was in such an area from May to December and I never saw a bait station. I have friends in Calder Idaho that bait but in the more accessible areas(roads). We went about 75 percent on spring bear without bait. Once you figure out their pattern it's not difficult to kill one.
thats good to know. I would imagine most bait sites arent super far from roads or trails. Bait is heavy and the amount of bait you would need to keep on a site to hold bears would be a fair amount, or at least i assume.

bangarang

FNG
I’ve been tracking the snow discussion. Can I assume that the bears won’t actually be in the snow, they will be about 1000’ below it?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve been tracking the snow discussion. Can I assume that the bears won’t actually be in the snow, they will be about 1000’ below it?
Bears can be anywhere. When they follow the snow line they are literally on the edge of the melting snow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk