Idaho Unit 50 or 36 A Elk

OP
S
I think 50 gets more people than any zone in that unit because of its proximity to people i.e. Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot etc. That being said, you hunt anywhere in that zone you're going to have company. Be interesting to see what effect zone caps will do for pressure starting in 2021.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah that makes sense too. Maybe i should not totally eliminate 49 from my sites. Maybe East of Hailey but haven't really read much about it. Maybe that is a good thing for those who hunt it. Lol

bamagun

FNG
Ive only hunted two zones in Idaho and the pioneer zone has elk, but in order to put yourself in front of one, you have to put yourself in some pretty dang sketchy situations to get up to them. Im a young guy that does a lot of work to prepare, so Ill be back up there this year, but the folks that just "day hunt" from the tent or camper seem to all struggle. Hopefully you will draw a limited tag and wont have to make the decision, but from what I have learned about the pioneer zone, a lot of hands and knees crawling up (then sliding down) mountains are what you will have to do to have a "chance" at finding some. I went out last July to scout around for a week and never saw another person and thought I hit the jackpot. I went back out the first week of September and literally couldn't even find a place to park my truck/trailer in any of the spots I was at during the summer. Tons of campers being parked everywhere, tons of atvs riding around, tons of horses, and thousands of people. I enjoy backpacking for 7-10 days at a time, so I should be able to find some, but its going to be really dang tough. I know a lot of folks blow smoke at people because they don't want any extra pressure where they hunt, but one more person in that area wont matter at all. My novice advice would be to take a serious look at the hunter numbers from the previous years and make your decision off of that. Also, I didn't see anyone enforcing the motorized vehicle rule, so you can expect to see atv's/motos well beyond closed gates and down tiny trails..

Thank you for the info. I have put in for the 36a2 antlers rifle hunt for 10/1 so will wait on the draw before i make my calls to both the salmon and Upper Snake field offices. I want as much info on both in case i need to bounce between 36a and 50. So the elk are their i gather but also are the people. Looks like they will get one more person this year lol. If i can just get into them I'll shoot either sex with my bow. First one that comes close enough will hopefully get a G5 Striker through both lungs. Excited to see new country and have many waypoints marked on my ONX maps. Again, thanks for the info and best of luck to you this year.

OP
S
Ive only hunted two zones in Idaho and the pioneer zone has elk, but in order to put yourself in front of one, you have to put yourself in some pretty dang sketchy situations to get up to them. Im a young guy that does a lot of work to prepare, so Ill be back up there this year, but the folks that just "day hunt" from the tent or camper seem to all struggle. Hopefully you will draw a limited tag and wont have to make the decision, but from what I have learned about the pioneer zone, a lot of hands and knees crawling up (then sliding down) mountains are what you will have to do to have a "chance" at finding some. I went out last July to scout around for a week and never saw another person and thought I hit the jackpot. I went back out the first week of September and literally couldn't even find a place to park my truck/trailer in any of the spots I was at during the summer. Tons of campers being parked everywhere, tons of atvs riding around, tons of horses, and thousands of people. I enjoy backpacking for 7-10 days at a time, so I should be able to find some, but its going to be really dang tough. I know a lot of folks blow smoke at people because they don't want any extra pressure where they hunt, but one more person in that area wont matter at all. My novice advice would be to take a serious look at the hunter numbers from the previous years and make your decision off of that. Also, I didn't see anyone enforcing the motorized vehicle rule, so you can expect to see atv's/motos well beyond closed gates and down tiny trails..
About the ATV thing i have read that before on other sites also. Upset a lot of hunters because those rules are not being enforced. I won't be one of them cuz i don't have an atv. Just me, my baja jayco and my ol Wal-Mart mountain bike. Lol. Guess we will just see what the weather is like, try to find some watering holes, and hopefully be at the right spot at the right time. I don't mind climbing up the hills on my knees. I am no young buck anymore but know my limits now. May not be as fast as i once was but I'll get to where i have to get. Like you said, hopefully ill draw a tag and will go from there. If not well I will just have to go try some new country and learn the terrain.

bangarang

FNG
I plan to hunt 36A if I don’t draw 18, I live in 11a. Feel free to PM me if you want.
11A had good stats in 2019 based on Idaho Hunt Planner. I'm curious why you hunt elsewhere if that's where you live. I can't PM at this time.

TheTone

WKR
11A had good stats in 2019 based on Idaho Hunt Planner. I'm curious why you hunt elsewhere if that's where you live. I can't PM at this time.
It’s a unit with under 10% public land and a really low elk population on top of that. With the right access you can probably have a good hunt but getting that access is the really hard part

Last edited:

bangarang

FNG
It’s a unit with under 10% private land and a really low elk population on top of that. With the right access you can probably have a good hunt but getting that access is the really hard part
makes sense. on to the next magical unit

makes sense. on to the next magical unit

11A had good stats in 2019 based on Idaho Hunt Planner. I'm curious why you hunt elsewhere if that's where you live. I can't PM at
It’s a unit With the right access you can probably

Like has already been stated it's nearly all private land with elk in small pockets and for the most part aren't huntable without permission from multiple landowners. Allot of the elk are also on tribe ground. I have hunted other units in the zone however. Sometimes I just like a new challenge even if I could kill one in the farm fields around here I still would want to go to the mountains that's atleast half the reason I do it.

Anyone know a good place to setup camp for the August Unit 50 Idaho Cow Elk tag. I know it has to be within a mile of irrigation, I went up an scouted trail creek road, but it was packed.