Ideal weight for Western Hunting Rifle

Riplip

WKR
What is everyone's ideal weight for a Western Hunting Rifle? I personally don't want to carry a 10 or 11 lb rifle up and down the mountains here in Colorado, but also understand that lighter rifles can be less accurate. What is the magic number. How light is too light?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in the light as possible camp; my current rifle is under 6 lbs with scope/mounts. I don’t feel like I’m giving up anything with that weight for a hunting rifle- not going to be doing any competitive shooting anytime soon.

What caliber? Suppressor or no? How far do you want to kill to and feel very sure you aren’t going to make a bad shot?

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a odd one, but all my mountain rifles are 10-12lbs. It could be because I haven't been introduced to a good light weight rifle I like, but currently I'd rather do more heavy squats and carry a heavy rig.

I do know some guys that run great setups in the 8-9lb range, but every time I lay behind them I can't get comfortable or shoot near as well at extended ranges.

TaperPin

WKR
I hand carry a lot, so under 8 lbs is a start, and 7-1/4 lbs with scope seems to be the sweet spot for me. With a light stock that weight allows a #2 26” barrel, and it will shoot as accurately as you are. 1/2 moa isn’t difficult if your rifle is up for it.

t_carlson

WKR
7.5 lbs. 8 at the most.

I think that strikes the best balance of a gun that is light enough to keep in hand when necessary (still hunting, etc.) but heavy enough to settle down for a longer shot.

I'd say 10-11# or so, scoped/suppressed with bipod and an ARCA rail for me. But I also don't plan to hunt sheep so there's that.

Matt5266

WKR
I'd like to be under 10 lbs. However I have several that are over. Kinda is what it is. I just suck it up and pack it. I look at it as a workout lol. I packed a 14lb rifle last deer season

collbenn

FNG
My setup for the past three years was been just under 9.5 pounds (Tikka 7 rem mag). Shooting the rifle felt fine at that weight, but I wouldn't have minded a little less weight while carrying it. I always carried it in a gun bearer. I love the gun bearer, but over the course of a week I think it makes the weight of a rifle more noticeable than if it were strapped to your pack.

I'm selling that rifle and building something new that will be in the low 8 pound range.

Macintosh

WKR
Theres a reason hunting rifles have weighed in the neighborhood of 8.5-9lb all-in for close to a century. If you have particular needs different from most hunters, adjust from there.