Ideal weight for Western Hunting Rifle

Ehunter56

FNG
I was insane enough to carry around a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mmSTW, bull barrell, for several years. Might as well have packed the truck in with me. lol Now I can jog with my Tikka T3x's. I'm in the 8-9 lbs. max range. Heavy enough for a steady shot, light enough to pack around the mountains, or to fight through the local thickets here.

Like a lot of other folks have mentioned, anything under 10# is fine with me. My Remington 700 7mm08 weighs in at 8.5 w/ VX-3 3.5-10x40 and I have little issue huffing it around Colorado. My 7mm Rem Mag is more like 9.75 and similarly, the length presents more issues than the weight. Much heavier though and it would quickly get rough.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
7.5 lbs for 270 and 8.5 lbs 300WM non brake and non suppressed.

TheHammer

WKR
Most of my short actions are 7-8lbs suppressed, my long actions are 10-11lbs suppressed. My near 11lb rig is first choice.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think the ideal weight depends on what cartridge you are shooting honestly. I was totally in the make it as light as possible camp years ago, but the more I shoot and see how much I suck, the more weight I seem to tolerate. I think suppressed/unsuppressed plays into weight as well, given that adds 7-8oz min. The smaller/less recoil the lighter you can have. Harder the recoil the heavier I want it.