Ideas for elk appetizers/ finger foods?

BobDog

FNG
Hi there. We are spending thanksgiving at our friend's place and are tasked with bringing appetizers . I was lucky enough to shoot an elk this weekend and would love to incorporate it. I'm thinking about elk meatballs for one option. Any other ideas?

sram9102

WKR
How adventuresome would the guest be? I recently tried some heart ceviche that turned out excellent. Have also done venison tartare. Both make for easy finger foods and are fairly easy to make.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
Deep fried elk cubes with ranch dressing on the side. You throw in some mushrooms too.

OP
BobDog

BobDog

FNG
How adventuresome would the guest be? I recently tried some heart ceviche that turned out excellent. Have also done venison tartare. Both make for easy finger foods and are fairly easy to make.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
They are a mix of adventure levels. I already used the heart on day 1, but would be interested in how you prepared the tartare!

Lytro

WKR
Chislic is a pretty good app that takes little effort.

I've made rolled tacos with elk before. Cook and shred either neck roast or shanks, season with chili verde or whatever you want, mix in some shredded cheese, roll in a tortilla and use toothpicks to keep them closed, drop in a deep fryer until golden and crispy. Serve with different dipping options (guac, sour cream, nacho cheese, salsa, etc.).

Anything that uses ground meat would be good for a less adventurous crowd too. Some sort of puff pasty or wonton could be good use of it.

I like to make jalapeño poppers using elk sausage. Brown around of elk sausage and then mix in the cream cheese. Before you do this though you need to cut the top off the jalapeño’s and core them. Wrap in bacon and smoke on the pellet grill. Once they are done is when you do the filling. Put the filling in those little plastic things used for cake decorating and squeeze the filling into the jalapeño. One of my favorites. I also like to do the same thing with mushrooms.

mlchase

FNG
nevadafoodies.com - tons of options there - but some rolled flautas with ground meat easy to do, or a meatball dish.

Marshfly

WKR
If you aren't one of the people that gave up on RMEF, they had an amazing elk crostini recipe in Bugle a few months back. I'll see if I can locate it.
Here you go. This was insanely good. Used leftover smoked backstrap that had been cooked rare and sliced it super thin like carpaccio.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 8.10.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 8.10.10 AM.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 19

jja600

FNG
Elk sliders with bacon. Cook 1lb of bacon. I usually do 1lb of bacon to 4 lbs of ground elk. Dice it. Keep all the fat drippings. Chill. Dump everything into your defrosted ground elk meat and make sliders. Sauce- mix mayo and diced chilis in adobo sauce. MMMM