If you could hunt Kansas Iowa or Illinois. Which one and why?

baz77

WKR
I’ve hunted Kansas and Illinois already ..headed to Iowa this November. From what everyone tells me Iowa blows Kansas abd Illinois our If the water. Really looking forward to seeing what it’s all about.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ve hunted Kansas and Illinois already ..headed to Iowa this November. From what everyone tells me Iowa blows Kansas abd Illinois our If the water. Really looking forward to seeing what it’s all about.

are you gun hunting or drawing a tag with 100% odds?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm not mistaken, Illinois is an over the counter tag for non residents. Kansas is a draw. Kansas will probably wind up being like Iowa in the next decade where non residents have to wait 4 years to get drawn. Both are great states to whitetail hunt, but It depends on what your plans are. Hunting public land or outfitted hunt? What time of year? Bow or gun? I think either way it will be fun and both states have giants.

Kind of hard to compare without specifying what part of each state you're considering. Both vary pretty widely. I've done SE IL (archer rut) and SW KS (rifle a little post rut) and both were fantastic hunts, but very different.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I would choose Kansas because I have the lifetime hunting license. That means I get resident tags over the counter even though I don't live there anymore.
As a lifetime license holder, but a current resident of another state you can still legally purchase and hunt with a KS resident deer tag?

Trial153

WKR
I have hunted all three more then once. Kansas and iowa are coin flip for me, both are amazing states to bowhunt and have good season structures. I like iowa nonresident Cap’s way better then kansas‘ bullshit demand based system. that said ....tough choice between the two

As a lifetime license holder, but a current resident of another state you can still legally purchase and hunt with a KS resident deer tag?

From KDWP, and I almost didn't believe it myself: "The holders of lifetime hunting licenses are always considered Kansas residents when purchasing turkey and big game permits, regardless of where they live."

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
From KDWP, and I almost didn't believe it myself: "The holders of lifetime hunting licenses are always considered Kansas residents when purchasing turkey and big game permits, regardless of where they live."
WOW! I missed an excellent opportunity

nal5080

FNG
WOW! I missed an excellent opportunity

Yep that was the first thing I researched when I moved out there. I'm glad I did haha! I'm going back for the first time since moving away this fall. Just returned from a 5 day scouting trip. I'm bringing a buddy and we're both really excited for the hunt after finding some great sign.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Illinois and I would choose Iowa in a heartbeat. Hunted Iowa this past fall and had some of the best sits of my life

Kansas because of the option of being able to draw a tag every year.

Quality of mature deer might be better in Iowa and the number of deer as well but I prefer how the archery season dates in Kansas.

KHNC

WKR
What state would you pick and why?
Illinois would be last. The license fees are outrageous and the hunting has declined drastically over the years. Not to mention, Southern Illinois locals HATE non resident hunters. Our stands used to get Screwed with and cameras stolen on our lease in Gallatin county the few years we had it. Constant issues. That state just isnt worth it anymore. Kansas has been a great experience every time i have hunted it. Never put in for an Iowa tag.