If you could only apply for the draw in 2 states....

If you could only apply for a limited draw in 2 states due to up front cost which would you apply to? I'm willing to accumulate points in only 2 states based on my current cash flow. I want to build points for that "once in a lifetime" hunt as well as a pretty good hunt every few years without breaking the bank. I realize that most states will refund most of the fee after the draw, but I really don't like parting with my money for that long with close to $1000. FYI: I plan to use OTC tags in years I don't draw.

Any ideas?

jm1607

WKR
For Elk only?

Hmmm..

NV is my all-around favorite state

UT is a good cheap choice, but very long term

NM is cheap, only costs $14 in the end

CO takes too many points to win any good unit, but if you do some research you can get an "ok" unit with very few hunters for only a handful of points. I think of it more short term

WY Elk only costs about $65, so it's pretty cheap but very long term

If I could only pick 2 I'd go with NV & NM... UT being a close 3rd

Charina

FNG
Add UT as a third. One hunting license every two years, $10 app fee, no fronting tag cost.

OP
O
My only problem with Nevada is that so few non-resident tags are given out, it could take me realistically over 10 years to draw. I'd love to hunt there but buying a license every year in order to accumulate points means that over $1400 is spent just for licenses, not including application fees.

I do like the idea of Utah. Never been there and I would love to see the state.

New Mexico doesn't have a point system. Is it worth it to apply there. What are the odds of being drawn within 5-7 years.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
If you want to go right now, look at Colorado or Idaho OTC tags. Yes you will have more hunting pressure with OTC tags and in Idaho a lower population but you will be out there among them. I'm going to Idaho this year because I want to hunt this year.

jm1607

WKR
My only problem with Nevada is that so few non-resident tags are given out, it could take me realistically over 10 years to draw. I'd love to hunt there but buying a license every year in order to accumulate points means that over $1400 is spent just for licenses, not including application fees.

I do like the idea of Utah. Never been there and I would love to see the state.

New Mexico doesn't have a point system. Is it worth it to apply there. What are the odds of being drawn within 5-7 years.

NM is tough because they give out fewer tags to NR than most states (6%)

The trick with NM is to sign up for the "guide draw". Most outfitters will let you put your name in the hat in the special outfitter draw (15% of tags) and then you pay around a $500 fee for 2 days of guiding (state minimum) if you win. Your odds in harder units could go from 1-3% all the way to 8%+

What's nice about NV is that it has a fair system and you could win your first year. It also has huge critters! If you apply to all the species there it comes out to under $40 per species. If you only want Elk, then ya it is too expensive..

Although UT is way cheaper than NV, the odds are considerably worse..

OP
O
Colorado and Idaho OTC are exactly what I will do in the non draw years. I used to live in Colorado so I know some of the area already. I used to backpack through a few of the wilderness areas as a college student.

I'll take a closer look at Nevada as compared to Utah. Thanks for the advice.

NoWiser

WKR
Skip Nevada. Draw odds are ridiculously slim. I was thinking about getting in the game there and it would take me 10+ years before I'd even have a 1 in 20 shot at one of their lower end archery hunts. That 10 years adds up to a lot of nonrefundable hunting licenses thrown in the trash. For what Nevada alone costs each year you could build points in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and apply for New Mexico.

You should apply for NM every single year no matter what. It's a $13.00 lottery ticket and the payout is big if you get drawn! Apply for points in Arizona for a great hunt in the future. Build points in Wyoming for a good hunt every few years, and hunt OTC Colorado when you get the bug and don't have the points to burn.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hands down NM and WY for what you stated. You have the opportunity to draw either of those tags every year (albeit slim). Your way behind the top units in any state. Personally I wouldn't bother building points anywhere at this stage of the game unless you plan to burn them every couple years.

Bar

Banned
I hunt every year in Colorado with no points, and have above average success. I never hunt OTC units either.

LostArra

WKR
If you could only apply for a limited draw in 2 states due to up front cost which would you apply to? I'm willing to accumulate points in only 2 states based on my current cash flow. I want to build points for that "once in a lifetime" hunt as well as a pretty good hunt every few years without breaking the bank. I realize that most states will refund most of the fee after the draw, but I really don't like parting with my money for that long with close to $1000. FYI: I plan to use OTC tags in years I don't draw.

Any ideas?

How old are you?

OP
O
LostArra - I'm 47.

NoWiser - Good plan. That kinda refines what I was thinking. You are wiser than you give yourself credit for.

Les - Yes, I know I'm way behind

For $40 I apply to Kentucky's four seasons every year. Not sure what kind of hunt it would be in the end but for 40 bucks.

NoWiser

WKR
NoWiser - Good plan. That kinda refines what I was thinking. You are wiser than you give yourself credit for.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually not real bright. My screen name was dreamed up after a night of sipping on a bit too much Canadian whiskey.

I looked into Nevada a bit more, and your odds could actually go DOWN every year for over well over a decade in that state. Someone brought up the good point to me that the number of times your name goes in the hat is growing much, much slower than those with many points (because of the squared system), so your odds actually get worse every year. There are not nearly enough tags given out to get rid of these high point holders. It could easily be 20 years before your chances of drawing increase. Nevada is a horrible investment for someone just starting out. At 32 years old, it's definitely not worth it for me to start trying there. Of course, you could draw your first year. Good luck finding a unit with odds greater than 1% though! The published odds for Nevada are nowhere near the true odds.

My personal philosophy is to build points in any states that make sense, but to burn those points ASAP. Point systems are way too big of a scam to get too invested in them!

Good luck, you'll have some fun hunts in your future!

Washington state is the same way. Folks here thing the squared points idea is great but they don't understand math and exponential increase. Each year the odds get a little bit worse despite another bonus point. Pool grows faster than your individual participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
It's not just NV, it's all states.. The odds will get progressively worse every year so you have to just pick your poison and stick with it.. If you don't apply anywhere you'll never win.. Even with the increasingly bad odds, NV is still better than most other states when you look at the numbers.. Only state with probably better odds overall is NM

I put in for one of the best muzzleloader units in NV (if not the best) this year and last year there were 3 NR tags for 15 apps, so even with bad odds you have opportunities.. Also, if you harvest an Elk in the state there's a 10 year wait which will knock alot of people out of the game yearly.. Other states don't do that for Elk

Last edited:

HOT ROD

WKR
I would hunt Colorado OTC. And build points in Colorado. And build points in Wyoming. But I for sure would not get in the points race at this point.. Try to find a good OTC unit. And a good draw unit. That mite be 2 to 3 points. May be U could find the draw unit. Not to far from the OTC tag. And scout them both. And hunt Wyoming ever 3 or 4 years.