If you could only apply for the draw in 2 states....

elkyinzer

WKR
If only two, New Mexico and Idaho for their random draws. I think point systems are BS (but I still play that game in a couple states). People my age and younger don't have a chance of ever hunting certain units.

NoWiser

WKR
It's not just NV, it's all states.. The odds will get progressively worse every year so you have to just pick your poison and stick with it.. If you don't apply anywhere you'll never win.. Even with the increasingly bad odds, NV is still better than most other states when you look at the numbers.. Only state with probably better odds overall is NM

I put in for one of the best muzzleloader units in NV (if not the best) this year and last year there were 3 NR tags for 15 apps, so even with bad odds you have opportunities.. Also, if you harvest an Elk in the state there's a 10 year wait which will knock alot of people out of the game yearly.. Other states don't do that for Elk

I think you are very mistaken about Nevada. That unit you are talking about likely had 15 FIRST choice applications. Since Nevada looks at all choices before moving to the next applicant you need to look at the number of 1st-5th choice applicants. Your odds are almost certainly much, much, MUCH lower than you think, and I think Nevada doesn't publish them for fear of everyone giving up and going elsewhere. PM me the unit and I will get back to you with the actual odds (don't worry, I won't be applying for the unit, or for any hunts in Nevada.)

Also, the odds don't just get worse for new applicants every year. They will get worse every year an individual applies. In Nevada, if you start applying now, your odds will likely be less in 10 years than they are right now, your very first year. If they didn't square points I might consider getting in the game, but given that little detail, I'm better off buying a lottery ticket and buying a NM landowner tag when I win. Nevada truly is about the worst state the original poster could choose if he only wanted to build points in two states.

Just an example, take a look at the muzzleloader hunt for units 104, 108, 121. It shows on Nevada's game and fish website that there were 5 applicants for the 1 tag. So, your chances should be about 20% or so? The actual odds for this tag with 0 points is .1% (1 in 1,000) if you have zero points, 4.1% with 6 points, and 13% with 11 points. But, if you are starting now, your odds will not be 13% with 11 points. They'll actually probably be closer to 1 or 2% due to the fact that the people with high points get their extra names in the hat at a much more rapid pace.

For example, if it's your first year you will have 1 name in the hat while the 10 point applicant has their name in the hat 101 times. That's 100 more chances than you have. In 10 years you will have your name in the hat 101 times while that 10 point applicant that still hasn't drawn will have his name in the hat 401 times. That is 300 more chances than you will have.

I hope this makes sense, and I'm not trying to stop anyone from applying to Nevada if they want to. No doubt a tag there is something dreams are made of. But, for someone (like myself) trying to decide where to invest a limited amount of money, it's not a good choice at all.

Last edited: