Igloo maxcold 165 vs Coleman 316 150

fishslap

WKR
I need to add another cooler for a moose hunt. It will be about 4 hours from home max so mainly needed during the packout and getting home. In my cooler stable I have a 120 coleman Xtreme and was going to add a 150 but no one has them. I can get the Coleman 316 series or Costco has an igloo 165 maxcold marine for cheap. Not a fan of the two entry hatches in the igloo lid but the Coleman 316 looks like it might be a step down from the Xtreme. Opinions on what to get? Thanks

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I used a 350 qt homemade mega cooler, an Igloo 165 marine and an Igloo STX 120 on my moose hunt, all 3 performed very well. Other than my homemade and 2 rotomolds, the STX is my best cooler. I have a lot of coolers.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
4 hours I wouldn’t even put it in a cooler.
Normally for elk I’ll put what I can in a 90 and 120 and put the rest on a tarp, throw some bags of ice on, and cover with a moving blanket. I want to be prepared on this hunt in case it takes a few days to get it out and I need to keep the meat already at the truck cool. Could be overthinking it…

NRA4LIFE

WKR
You are not overthinking. More cooler space is better, especially if it takes a couple days to get it out. More is always good in case it's warm and you need ice space. Killed mine when it was nearly 60 and the extra room for ice was key. Not to mention it took 4-5 days to butcher and vacuum seal it.

grfox92

WKR
I used a 350 qt homemade mega cooler, an Igloo 165 marine and an Igloo STX 120 on my moose hunt, all 3 performed very well. Other than my homemade and 2 rotomolds, the STX is my best cooler. I have a lot of coolers.
Do you have a link for an Igloo STX? I can't find anything searching for that model.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Any details on the mega cooler build?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NRA4LIFE

WKR

BrentH

WKR
We use the Costco igloo one for transporting fish home from Canada in the July heat. Keeps ice long enough for what we need.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
The dimensions are about 36X30X24 I think. Exterior walls are 1/2" plywood (2X2 framing) and the interior walls are aluminum flashing. In between is 1.5" of rigid foam insulation. The only thing I would do different is make the interior walls a heavier sheet metal as the flashing has got some holes punched in it. And put some sturdy handles on it.

DSCN0611_1.jpg

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
One thing I like about igloo coolers is parts are easy to find, latches, hinges, cables, etc. I am pretty hard on coolers and getting parts easily is a very nice feature.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
One thing I like about igloo coolers is parts are easy to find, latches, hinges, cables, etc. I am pretty hard on coolers and getting parts easily is a very nice feature.
I replaced all the hardware with stainless on my igloo 90 quart sportsman years ago. Good upgrade components available.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I bought this a couple weeks ago at Costco for $99 + tax for our elk hunts later this year. Regular price is $139, IIRC.

At that price and with Costco's warranty, it's an easy purchase decision and should work well for taking care of elk for a few days.

Eddie

Attachments

• igloo_cooler.jpg
    igloo_cooler.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 44
OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I bought this a couple weeks ago at Costco for $99 + tax for our elk hunts later this year. Regular price is $139, IIRC.

At that price and with Costco's warranty, it's an easy purchase decision and should work well for taking care of elk for a few days.

Eddie
That’s the one. Going to grab one tomorrow

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Cant go wrong with that cooler for that price. I have one of those too. You can put a lot of meat or ice in that cooler. That is my main ice cooler for extended hunting/fishing trips.