"I'll take it" then ask questions later?

I've had a few items sell while I've had PMs with follow up questions in to the seller. These are usually with items that come up with good prices. I watch the forums carefully for these deals, but as you all know it can be a frenzy when they come around.

I get the whole first one with "I'll take it" gets the item and that the seller can sell to whoever they want. But if a guy has follow up questions on the item, what is proper etiquette?

1). Express interest, ask your questions, and hope it doesn't sell in the interim?
2). "I'll take it pending your responses to the following questions"?
3). I'll take it. Then ask questions once the seller confirms you're first in line?
Other?

It feels weird to me to "claim" the item if you're unsure of condition, etc. When selling, I've always just sold to the first guy to PM on the item if he's offering asking. Just wondering what other guys prefer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
You want to be fair but I guess the money talks. I had a pair of Swarovski binos on eBay I was selling and a guy was msg me on there for two days, he was really wanting them. On the third day someone else hit the ...buy now...button and they were gone.

mlgc20

WKR
I think 1 is the way to go. IMO, you shouldn't say "I'll take it" if you are making an offer less than asking price or have outstanding questions. When I buy something here (or other forums) I always pay the asking price. If I don't think the price is fair, I just move on. Not that there's anything wrong with trying to get a better price. I just prefer not to try and beat up my fellow hunters over a few bucks.

I had messaged someone on a different forum about some Kuiu merino that was for sale at a great price. The pic of the shirt and the post from the Kuiu website contradicted each other, so my initial message was something like, "I'll take the top if it's the ultra merino." Turned out it wasn't and I didn't buy.

If they include their questions in the initial message with the caveat of, "if so, I'll buy" then I'd have no problem answering their questions. But if they are just trying to get in line first and then blast questions my way, the item is still for sale.

Rob5589

WKR
The first PM I receive stating the person will buy it, gets the item. Too often people will "take it" in the FS post but never follow up with a PM with information. Until you are committed, it is still available.

16Bore

WKR
I’ve had some “I’ll take it pending question” or “I’ll take it if......”

But usually “I’ll take it” means you’ll take it.

Davebuech

WKR
I agree with above comments. How long should one wait after an “I’ll take it “ is followed by a “Here’s my PP details” for their funds before relisting if no funds or follow up from the I’ll take it occurs?
Asking for a friend.

FURMAN

WKR
In the world I grew up in your word was as good as any contract. Stating "I'll take it" in any context is your word. I guess the question is how good is your word? In my recent experience many can't claim their word is worth anything. Mine is a good as gold. If I don't follow through something bad has likely happened to me.

Stating things like "I will take it pending..." is completely worthless to me because the first person to come along and say I will take it is getting it.

OP
westonadkins
You want to be fair but I guess the money talks. I had a pair of Swarovski binos on eBay I was selling and a guy was msg me on there for two days, he was really wanting them. On the third day someone else hit the ...buy now...button and they were gone.

Certainly understandable in an eBay situation where that happens. I've had that happen to me before when selling on the forums and I always defer to the guy who was first asking me questions on the item. Happened on the last item I sold actually, cost me a few bucks even.

OP
westonadkins
I agree with above comments. How long should one wait after an “I’ll take it “ is followed by a “Here’s my PP details” for their funds before relisting if no funds or follow up from the I’ll take it occurs?
Asking for a friend.

Happened to me on the last item I sold. I told the dude that if I didn't hear back from him by 5pm that day, I was going with the next guy in line. He responded and got money out quickly. Communication is key, or so my s/o tells me hah.

16Bore

WKR
If you’ve got time to type I’ll take it, you’ve got time to send a PM with details.

Wrench

WKR
There's a different crowd here vs say 24hr campfire. Lots of 20 somethings here and 50 somethings there. Here it's not as cut and dried....there, I'll take it means just that.

Generational differences.

16Bore

WKR
Play around at AR and you’ll see a totally different story. “I’ll take it” generally means Its in tomorrow’s mail, unless you’re a proven jackass.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that saying “I’ll take it” to buy some time to ask questions and then back out is not proper etiquette. If I say “I’ll take it” I immediately Pm for PayPal info and then send payment ASAP.

I jumped on some kuiu gaiters yesterday that were listed as never worn Yukon’s for $30. I didn’t take the time to look at them closely or ask questions and went ahead and paid for them. guess what... they were skee gaiters not Yukon’s. My mistake.. I’ll give the selling member the benifit of doubt and hope he too made an honest mistake. Just glad it was $30 gaiters and not $1200 UHD’s that ended up being just HD’s

The is the only forum I’ve seen where people think they can say “PM sent” and they think that gives them a right to buy the item ahead of someone else. Every other forum I’ve ever been on, you post IN THE AD “I’ll take it”. That seems to not be the norm here. All you ever see is “PM sent”........well that doesn’t mean shit. Every seller can manage his ad the way he chooses, but some of the stuff here would get you banned from selling in other forums. The first “I’ll take it” posted in the ad should trump any/all other PM’s.

Last edited:
There's a different crowd here vs say 24hr campfire. Lots of 20 somethings here and 50 somethings there. Here it's not as cut and dried....there, I'll take it means just that.

Generational differences.
Same way it has been for 10+ years on Snipershide. The only thing you send a PM for is payment details. You post I’ll take it in the damn ad and that’s just how it is.

Rich M

WKR
I've had a few sales on here and have made online purchases elsewhere. Most guys will jump on something they are looking for and pass on questionable stuff.

PM sent usually means, I have a question or offer or something other than just claiming it immediately.

Up to seller to decide if he wants to answer question and sell if things go well.