Illegal, unethical, or just frowned on

I think we have diverging discussions here. The OP asked if it was okay for two tag holders to shoot the same animal. That's discussion one. The diverging discussion is who tags it. The law may dictate who tags it, but in the absence of the law, the two huntin' buddies work out who tags it.

I noticed that as well and found it funny how the discussion somehow went that way.

tntrker

WKR
I noticed that as well and found it funny how the discussion somehow went that way.
I went south on the discussion because I felt the Guide would "enforce the law" and make me put my tag on it. Without the guide, I was/will be ready for a follow up if needed for a friend.

2rocky

WKR
Been there done that a number of times...always with the understanding that the guy with first shot would have the second shooter backing him up. I've finished off cripples knowing the first shooter had a poor but eventually fatal shot in the animal and I hastened the expiration.

One was another bowhunter in the area who we met and he had lost the blood trail.
When I found the bull, he was down but still breathing. After the Coup de Grace, we called the other bowhunter on his cell phone and flagged the trail to the bull. I killed my bull 2 days later so I think the Karma paid off.

One time my Dad and uncle were on a couple mule deer bucks. Uncle had first shot. He shot, then my dad shot, and my uncle saw the other buck rolling down the hill through his scope. He was peeved be cause dad was supposed to be backing HIM up!

Helps to be shooting different bullet diameters and designs when you have multiple hits. The CSI when you are breaking down a buck or bull can be pretty entertaining. Especially when you have a large animal vet as your hunting partner.

Couzklr

FNG
I hunt with buddy's we have agreements made before we go in field about if this situation happens

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
if you shoot a deer & it runs more than like 100 yards then i have went with i made a bad shot, thats his deer. BUT if someone is crowding you & that deer runs less than 100 yards & gets shot.....thats your deer. Not really a rule of thumb but common courtesy.

This happened to me once. I heard a gun shot close to me and then saw a bull 80 yards down the hill from me, limping around, and then he walked about 25 yards and laid down by some trees. I could've shot, but I waited about 1 minute and then I saw the hunter walking up to it and he finished it off.

A friend of mine shot at a mule deer and I believe he hit it, but it ran up over the hill and another shot went off. He walked about 200-300 yards and another hunter was already on it.

I guess the last shot that knocks it down owns it. It may depend on how many people are in your hunting party :)

Wtwallin

FNG
I think it is ethical to put the animal down quickly. Is Paper, Rock, Scissors, a good way to settle who tags it?

Jardo

WKR
With my hunting buddies we have a rule... especially with elk. If it’s on its feet or trying to get up, shoot the damn thing. First guy to plug it normally tags it.

Seen too many elk walk get away when someone thinks it’s hit and will eventually go down. Elk are tough... keep shooting til it’s in the ground even if your buddy shot it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had it happen in several dozen rifle kills, although, with as many deer hunters as we have in MO, it sure could. If it was me, and I shot poorly and the animal ran off and someone else finished it, I'd be glad that they ended it. As a bowhunter who has lost a couple of deer, I just hate that feeling. Now if they were trespassing or did something unsafe, I might say different.

cgasner1

WKR
Punched my Colorado tag couple days ago called bull in my buddy shot with his muzzle loader inside stepped bull was standing there so I shot he dropped in his track we got to looking and he had shot a tree branch he didn’t see turned out I got my elk personally for me and everyone we hunt with they can be very tough animal to put down we want as much insurance as possible we recover the animal and don’t lose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It will be best if anyone that got it hit one a deer could at least take a piece home.

Carl

FNG
With the guys I hunt with if I hit an animal and you have an opportunity at a follow up shot take it. Who ever hit the animal first puts their tag on it. If someone was ever tried to say the follow up arrow is the one that killed it so it is my bull, that would be someone I never set foot in the woods with again.
X2. I feel the same.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk