Im Paralyzed: Seek Outside

Im knee deep in the “paralysis by analysis” on my new shelter.

Im currently using a $20 two person slumber jack tent in the early to mid season and either a springbar canvas tent or a tent trailer in the late season. The springbar tent is my fathers and the trailer my brother in laws when we hunt elk.

The tent trailer might be getting sold soon so I started to look at shelters. Im pretty locked in on a seekoutside shelter with a stove.

My current hunting is style is not a true pack in style yet. I mostly find a site I can get to by jeep or utv and do day trips out of that camp so weight isnt highest on my list of needs. Stove, space, good air flow during early season so it isnt to hot, and being able to find a spot to setup easily are what I currently value. I hunt mostly Nevada, Idaho, with a little time spent in Utah occasionally late October.

I keep going between the Redcliff, 6 man, and know the 8 man. I figure the redcliff will be a little easier to find a place to pitch it up where the tipi ones might be a little tougher. The 6 man will be slightly larger and will have more standing room. Then I figured if im not packing it in might as well go 8 man. If I do pack in I will probably get a different setup like the LBO. So might as well have a large 8 man to pair with the LBO.

I called in and asked the seek people why someone would want the Redcliff over a 6 man and they really couldnt come up with one. The best I got was some people dont like sleeping in a circular shelter.

I just dont know. Any help out there from seek outside users.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, you should have gotten a better answer than that, sorry. The advantage of the Redcliff over the 6 is weight and sleeping orientation. The Redcliff is rectangular based, so you can sleep 3 or even 4 into it. The 6 will sleep 3 comfortably and then have a lot of room for gear.

If you're not backpacking, standing height is what makes the most difference in terms of comfort. The 8 is noticeably more comfortable than the RC or even 6 due to the height, especially if you start throwing cots into the equation.

OP
Researcher
Ya the call wasnt that helpful. Thanks for the reply and the reminder on the weight difference. I guess I should also mention that 90% of the time it will be used for two people.

I picked up a Redcliff this year and it is a palace for 2 people. Used it in a couple nasty thunderstorms this year already and it was rock solid. I have mine with a nest in each of the elongated ends and a stove. Still plenty of room for gear/wood/weapons/stove with access to both doors in between.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya the call wasnt that helpful. Thanks for the reply and the reminder on the weight difference. I guess I should also mention that 90% of the time it will be used for two people.

I'm at 970-208-8108 Ext. 205 if you need anything.

Here's a podcast that Kevin, Lee, and I recorded on the differences in the Redcliff, 6, and 8 person. I think this will answer most of your questions, and probably cover one or two you haven't thought of yet :). (We get this question a lot.)