In-Ear Hearing Protection

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I want to get in-ear hearing protection that is rechargeable, lasts at least 8 hours, and increases sound as needed.

What do you like?

Wvroach

WKR
I haven't found one I like yet, depends on what you are doing with it though. The walker in ear would be fine for occasional shooting but it is severely inadequate for any type of medium/high volume training.

Curious to see other's experience on this as well.

The axil GS extremes i tried a few months ago did not work what so ever. They amplified everything fine, but they also amplified loud noises instead of dampening them like they're supposed to. I returned them and haven't tried anything else yet, but i was considering the cheaper in ear walkers. My muffs from them work great

Mds2004

FNG
I just purchased this last week and tested it this last weekend at the range which worked great: https://www.otto-comm.com/NoizeBarrierMicro

I did change the ear tips to Comply tips though for added comfort as I run Complys on about any earbud I wear. They are the most natural-sounding ear protection I've used so far. On low mode, I would not say it is as loud as without ear protection, but maybe 80% volume so I ran them on high which felt about 120% volume.

Here is a review of these earbuds on this forum as well: https://www.rokslide.com/otto-noizebarrier-micro-ear-protection-review/

Last edited:
I have the same Axils mentioned above and I’m unimpressed. Very uncomfortable and there is a constant white noise when they’re on. I haven’t tried any others yet though

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged, In the same boat looking for hearing protection for hunting that will stand up to 300 WM. Prefer the earbud style but doesn't seem to be many with good reviews

WoodBow

WKR
I am interested as well. I looked into it about a year ago and the consensus was you can get cheap stuff that works like crap or spend 2k for good ones......so here i am still wearing muffs.

I have a set of the Tetras that I use for duck hunting. I have been happy with them so far. They are not rechargeable, they use hearing aid batteries that will last 2-3 days at a time and you can buy a big packet of the batteries at Costco. They are comfortable enough that I have worn them for 6-8 hrs at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second the tetras, however I’ve not used any of the others mentioned

I bought a pair of the walker ear bud styles a few years ago. I didn’t expect them to last as long as they have but they still work great. Used mainly for duck/pheasant hunting along with some trap shooting. The muff style protection interferes with my cheek weld a tad.

If you want to go custom, I think this is the only rechargeable option on the market. I have the non-rechargeable version and have largely been happy.

Edit: I see now that Tetra customs have a rechargeable option as well.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of the Tetras that I use for duck hunting. I have been happy with them so far. They are not rechargeable, they use hearing aid batteries that will last 2-3 days at a time and you can buy a big packet of the batteries at Costco. They are comfortable enough that I have worn them for 6-8 hrs at a time.

Their CustomShields have a rechargeable option, but it's a pricey addition so I went with the battery option. They are extremely comfortable, will need to experiment more to see how good the sound enhancement is though.

mi650

WKR
I haven't found one I like yet, depends on what you are doing with it though. The walker in ear would be fine for occasional shooting but it is severely inadequate for any type of medium/high volume training.

Curious to see other's experience on this as well.
Agreed on the Walker. They're fine in the woods for 1 shot at a deer.

Wife and I both have them and double up when on the range. Well triple if you count the cans. We rarely shoot unsuppressed. My tinnitus is bad enough as it is.

CoStick

WKR
I figure if I am going to spend over $500 I would just get a suppressor, which I am. That said the Otto are good, used them actually hunting elk in mountains and overall they were great. I use them at the range as well. Lots of options for ear pieces that work for you.