Incorporating step ups

Teaman1

WKR
For those of you that use step ups, how do you work them into your program?

Do you use them on cardio days for active recovery, as a leg day finisher, or some other way?
Do you do them throughout the year or start using them a couple months before hunting season?
Do you have a rep goal or a time limit, and how do you progress time and weight?

My routine 3x per week is runs ranging from 3-5 miles/100 weighted lunges/100 weighted stepups . I will hit the local football stadium once per week with a 70lb pack until near exhaustion. I work a very physical job with a lot of stairs and heavy lifting, so no need for much upper body.

*zap*

WKR
I do not think a step up is active recovery, they can suck. Set a program that allows you to stick to it for months without burnout and is also incrementally challanging.

I think swimming/walking is good active recovery with swimming being the better of the two.

Poser

WKR
Step ups purpose are to to mimic or replace access to sustained uphill.

The training effect is muscular endurance, not “cardio” -the adaption results in increased capillary density that allows your muscles to perform a sub maximal task over and over again without excessive fatigue.

Treat this as a uphill training hike (because you lack access to sustained uphill, don’t have time to access sustained uphill or because your are insane and prefer this to hiking up a hill or mountain).

You should be performing these at a pace where you can maintain a conversation.

I personally find that muscular endurance sessions need to be a minimum of 40 minutes to provide an effective training dose.

Signed: a person who doesn’t do step ups.

I implement step-ups into strength endurance circuits when getting ready for the mountains.

You may start with a 3x20 circuit that only takes 30 minutes (with adequate warm-up) and work up to 3x50 that takes around an hour. If you're interested in complete circuit structure I can share. Typically 8 exercises.

I'll do asymmetric weighted step-ups holding a 50# kettlebell in one hand and a 35# kettlebell in the other. If you wanted a modification that is easier on your grip, just use your backpack. If you want to make it harder use a backpack and kettlebells.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I do them. I had a buddy build a box for me last year and I did them a bunch early this year in preparation for a mountain hunt in NZ in June. I think they helped. On the mountain I was feeling hip flexors burning going up, but I was steady and didn't lack the endurance the mountain required, but was a little gassed aerobically and wished I'd done more HIIT. I was doing them with a 30-45 lb. ruck and 25 kettlebell in my hand. I did 50 reps, 3x, after kb swings and squats. That was leg day I guess and I rucked the flats and on the trails. And yeah, they suck. That's why I do them. The things I hate the most are usually the things I need the most. That's how I see it at least.

I'll also work them into high intensity cardio workouts. Simply because they can add suck. One of my favorites I'm about to start doing prior to my archery hunt this year:

*Asymmetric kettlebell lunges: 1 minute
Run 400 meters
*Asymmetric kettlebell Step-Ups/Step-Downs: 1 minute
Run 800 meters
*Kettlebell Swings: 1 minute
Run 800 meters
*Asymmetric kettlebell lunges: 1 minute
Run 800 meters
*Asymmetric kettlebell Step-Ups/Step-Downs: 1 minute
Run 800 meters
*Kettlebell Swings: 1 minute
Run 400 meters

**Rest 2-3 minutes between each run.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
When I am in calls at work where I can mostly zone out I will do weighted step ups a few times a week.

Generally I just go til my legs feel heavy go back to my desk and then when I can breathe normally again I do it all over again.

Work from home has been the best thing for my fitness since being in college with the flexibility I have for working out during meetings these days.

When I am in calls at work where I can mostly zone out I will do weighted step ups a few times a week.

Generally I just go til my legs feel heavy go back to my desk and then when I can breathe normally again I do it all over again.

Work from home has been the best thing for my fitness since being in college with the flexibility I have for working out during meetings these days.
Agreed. My buddy and I will do push-ups and air squats at work during those monotonous calls.

I do my step ups on a short box while holding plates or kettlebells, sometimes of unequal weights.

I prefer the short box because it's not something I am doing for range of motion. Upper or mid shin is about the height I use. A normal to slightly higher step for typical hiking is what I'm going for. I step up on to my box and bring the other knee up like I am going for the next step. Both feet hit the platform briefly and I step down.

They're absolutely brutal when you are already fatigued. I also don't really count them. I think of it as "to infinity." I'll start counting out of habit or whatever but do not have an end number, often loose track and just restart.

dtrkyman

WKR
Step ups on leg day for me, often start with them as there is a nice place to do them where I warm up.

I set height so my quad is parallel to the ground to get up. Always weighted, kettle bells or dumbells and I do all reps with one leg before switching to the other. No break between, helps grip strength at the same time.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
if you are only doing step ups and step down and not including step over and step sideways, you are not truly getting maximum benefit......

Last edited:
Speaking of step up, I did two consecutive rounds of the Manitou Incline last weekend. That was a lot of steps! It was not as imposing of a challenge as it seems to be portrayed but a great workout anyway.

Josh Gray

FNG
I use them for max strength training 1-2x a week starting 4 months out from the season. Use a weight that I can do 6-7x and complete 5 sets of 4-5 reps coupled with an upper body lift. Rest 3-4 minutes between sets.

hammerco

FNG
I do them during a muscular endurance phase that I slot in between seasons. The workout usually has step ups, step downs, squat jumps, and split jump squats. All four are on time rather than reps. I'll start with some active stretching and follow the ME with a really short, easy run. I cut back on hill/intensity running workouts during that phase so I can still recover and do my distance workouts. I use a Rogue box and a plate vest from Kensui. Makes it easy to add 10% each week throughout the phase. It's all Training for the Uphill Athlete type planning.