Increasing target acquisition

I know you can acquire better target acquisition by increasing rifle weight, muzzle brake and smaller loads. Im shooting a 300 win mag with weatherbys muzzle brake and the rifle is already 11 pounds loaded. I still seems impossible to shoot and stay on target after the shot. I normally shoot with a cheap amazon bipod with rubber feet on a bench. Would a better bipod help? Im i the only one? I would think the rifle would be heavy enough to make the recoil not so bad. I would almost rather increase weight even though I am lugging it in the mountains. Any pointers?

Someone is going to have way better answers than me, but I would think that if you have proper body position behind the gun that it should settle back on target after recoil. Stock shape/fit can play into it as well, but getting squared up straight behind the gun and being at a natural point of aim would help.

Have to reduce recoil to keep it on target. Options include but are not limited to heavier rifle, lighter bullet, slower velocity, smaller caliber, muzzle brake, suppressor, Limbsaver, etc.

Can shoot on lower magnification. Doesn’t help with seeing shot placement but does make it easier to track the animal and re-acquire.

It is one major drawback to hunting solo with a high(er) recoiling rifle.

Best solution is to have a friend spot. This way you (shooter) can know where the bullet impacted and where the animal went.

Get a great aftermarket buttpad and take the Appleseed Project two day shooting course. The way you set up for the shot and use the sling makes all the difference. This is my AFTER shot when being tested at the end of the course.

Appleseed Project Target.jpg

OP
Forkieslayer
Thanks for the help so far. I do think my form has a part in it. I have thought about going the suppressor route and a after market butt pad. Any suggestions on butt pads?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s your body position, rifle/scope set up, and stock style and fitment.

Google “bipods don’t hop” and watch the Snipers Hide video. Pay for a membership for Sniper’s Hide for a month and watch all the training videos.

Google “recoil management” and pay special attention to videos from Snipers Hide, Phillip Velayo, or Modern Day Sniper.

Unless someone has studied and been trained, they really don’t know the answers to your question. It took me a long time to pull it all together mostly from videos and podcasts. I got a little training.

There isn’t just one thing. And, the best form behind a poorly fit rifle makes it increasingly hard the worse it fits. With friends who finally give in, I cut their stock and adjust their scope and that is when they finally get improving and begin to get the feel.

In summary, Body straight behind the rifle, buttstock on collarbone under your cheek, pressure rearward with your trigger hand into your shoulder, well fit rifle that is a natural extension of your body, and shoot a lot.

robtattoo

WKR
It’s your body position, rifle/scope set up, and stock style and fitment.

Google “bipods don’t hop” and watch the Snipers Hide video. Pay for a membership for Sniper’s Hide for a month and watch all the training videos.

Google “recoil management” and pay special attention to videos from Snipers Hide, Phillip Velayo, or Modern Day Sniper.

Unless someone has studied and been trained, they really don’t know the answers to your question. It took me a long time to pull it all together mostly from videos and podcasts. I got a little training.

There isn’t just one thing. And, the best form behind a poorly fit rifle makes it increasingly hard the worse it fits. With friends who finally give in, I cut their stock and adjust their scope and that is when they finally get improving and begin to get the feel.

In summary, Body straight behind the rifle, buttstock on collarbone under your cheek, pressure rearward with your trigger hand into your shoulder, well fit rifle that is a natural extension of your body, and shoot a lot.

I can't agree with every part of this enough.

It also really, really helps your game to have a much lighter recoiling rifle to practice with. It doesn't matter who you are, recoil IS an issue. You may be able to tolerate the pain of it all day long, but it tires you out, wears you down & your last shot is never going to be a good as your first. Get a cheap, small caliber bolt gun. Doesn't matter what. Shoot the rifling out of the thing.

OP
Forkieslayer
Sounds like instead of investing in more toys i need to invest in my knowledge. Thanks for the help guys.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spending $$$ on quality training is worth it. It’s got to be more than people slinging lead long range. There are lots of those courses, but you gotta focus on the fundamentals. The Modern Day Sniper video course is worth more than a bad in person course.

If you like podcasts, listen to Every Day Sniper and Modern Day Sniper.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't agree with every part of this enough.

It also really, really helps your game to have a much lighter recoiling rifle to practice with. It doesn't matter who you are, recoil IS an issue. You may be able to tolerate the pain of it all day long, but it tires you out, wears you down & your last shot is never going to be a good as your first. Get a cheap, small caliber bolt gun. Doesn't matter what. Shoot the rifling out of the thing.
Amen, reps on the rifle.

I trained for thousands of rounds with my .22 just growing and training through the pattern. I spent months dry firing at home for 15 minutes practically every day, just to pay attention to every muscle and seeing how to relax them. Training without recoil does teach you control and form.

Of all the practice at the range, the “build and break” is the best, IMO, to really train. Build your position and fire one shot. Then get up and do a stretch and then get back down on the rifle to build your position again and fire one shot. It is a waste shooting groups when you could learn every shot.

You learn real fast how well you shoot when you have two inch groups and no fliers… most fliers are really the shots where you do something wrong but you are not aware of it out of ignorance.

Learn how to use the sling as a stabilizing device.
I learned it in CMP Bullseye when I was in grade school.
It involves wrapping the sling around your left (support) forearm and slouching to use your ribcage as the foundation for your support arm.
It doesn't look athletic but it works.
I'll see if I can find a link.

Last edited: