Inexpensive warm weather gear

Forfarj

FNG
Hello!

I’m if Florida and getting prepped for bow season which seems like it’s right around the corner…what is the best lightweight pant/shirt for the warm months? And after that, what is the best cost is no object comparison?

Justin

TexAg09

FNG
Academy has their own brand of clothing. Their camo shirts are very light weight and extremely affordable. I can't speak to the Academy pants though. For pants I often use light weight Carhartt pants, but if I need camo then I have some very light ones from Kings Camo that were very reasonably priced. I hunt in Texas, so I understand hunting in the heat. I can't really speak to the high end stuff unfortunately.

The REI Sahara sun hoodie can be found cheap and I think they even have camo although I wear solids a lot too. There's no real substitute for kuiu Tiburon pants with the dot fabric and hip zips. Maybe some lightweight hiking pants from REI would be close. If it's 90 plus summer I usually wear camo or brown Columbia silver ridge cargo shorts but we don't have bugs or snakes or brush that is bad . Columbia probably has a pants or zip off version. If I'm wearing pants I will even pack a pair of those lightweight shorts in case I kill something because on a hard packout shorts breathe way better. That's for spot n stalk hunting if you arein a stand pants might be more tolerable

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Academy long sleeve performance camo t shirt
olive green nylon hiking shorts, longer
Rocky lace up snake boots
maybe an inch or two gap between the shorts and the boots, have suffered no injuries or consequences from the little bit of exposed skin and ventilate far better
if you want to spend more, Simms has some really lightweight camo clothing and Patagonia used to sell their flats fishing pants in olive. Cabelas had a made in the shade line that was oriented towards high temps, no longer sold. Game Guard in Tx sells some camo long sleeve shirts designed for heat.

Last edited:
Yeah I got an Academy camo hoody, basically a fishing shirt, and honestly besides having the face mask I like it just as much as my expense ass Sitka core lightweight hoody. Also the Academy synthetic pants are great for the price. The on,y thing I don’t like is the zip cargo pockets are pretty low on the legs

I have several pairs of the Wrangler hiking pants and wear them. Rogers has some inexpensive branded gear also and I like everything I’ve gotten from them. Them and academy are my go to.

Tiger260

FNG
Wrangler stretch cargo pants at Wal-mart is what I’ve been wearing in south texas the last few years. Roughest country anywhere and HOT, they still look brand new. Felt better about them when my buddy ripped his new Kuiu pants and mine were fine working on feeders last year crossing fences.

OP
F

Forfarj

FNG
Thanks for all the replies guys! This is great info. I’ll definitely take a look at the wrangler pants and the fishing hoodies. Come on bow season. Lol

Yea imo the wrangler outdoor pants are great for 45-75 imo but anything more than that you're going to want something lighter weight

alexnelon

FNG
Midway had a browning branded sun hoodie for like $18 recently that I like. I’m a sucker for duck camo.

Wrangler ATG (or whatever the Walmart version is called) pants for $28 are hard to beat. Not sure about the thigh pockets off the top of my head but the main pockets are mesh and fairly breathable.

I’ve been wearing the pants for years and the newer ones aren’t as durable but still easily get 2 seasons out of them, maybe more if you don’t just wear the same pair over and over like I do.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello!

I’m if Florida and getting prepped for bow season which seems like it’s right around the corner…what is the best lightweight pant/shirt for the warm months? And after that, what is the best cost is no object comparison?

Justin
In Florida..... FORLOH - Lightweight,

Insect Shield®​

all the way. 100% sourced and made in America gear!

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Bass Pro has a lightweight line of clothing call Grid Lite designed specifically for warm weather. It is very thin material that has tiny holes in it similar to football jerseys when I was a kid. I have these and they are pretty nice. I couldn't imagine anything being much cooler when it is hot. The price is very reasonable. I also have a pair of Kuiu Tiburon pants that are very nice as well. The Kuiu pants have a zip opening from mid thigh up to just below your hip that you can open and provides air flow to keep cool. I usually mix and match these items when it is warm.