Infrared Scope ve Red Light

Just getting into the game of night time predator hunting. I see two camps it seems to technique for hunting.
- One camp is an infrared scope on the gun.
- The other camp is an infrared monocular for finding and then using a high powered red light mounted to the gun with no infrared scope.

Can someone help me understand why there are two different modes of thought when it comes to predator hunting? And if one is “better” than the other? Again, I apologize for my ignorance and am genuinely curious.

PS My plan was to most likely be hunting with a suppressed bolt gun, but if people tell me that an AR style gun would be “better”, I wouldn’t be afraid to convert one of my ARs into a predator gun either. Feedback here would be appreciated as well. Thanks!!

Where legal most people now use thermal imaging scopes. The digital nightvision scopes that use infrared lights are a cheaper option. Using either will not spook game like lights do. Thermals can detect game at much further distances than either NV or a light.

OP
passinggas33
Where legal most people now use thermal imaging scopes. The digital nightvision scopes that use infrared lights are a cheaper option. Using either will not spook game like lights do. Thermals can detect game at much further distances than either NV or a light.
So I bought a AGM Taipan a while back for fun. But you’re recommending buying a gun mounted thermal as well? Aren’t they hard to judge distance through? I think that’s been one of my challenges with the thermal.

Thermals/NV are difficult to judge distance with when you first start out (it’s also hard to judge distance using a light). Some of the digital night vision scopes and thermal scopes now come with range finders.

I would say a majority of people use thermal scanners and scopes now. Digital nightvision is an option for your scope. They won’t be as nice as a thermal, but generally cost less.

Flat shooting cartridge with a thermal scope and buy the most expensive thermal LRF scanner you can afford and don't look back. As @Skerhunter said judging distance is difficult when you start out but the more time you spend behind the optics the easier it gets.

OP
passinggas33
Flat shooting cartridge with a thermal scope and buy the most expensive thermal LRF scanner you can afford and don't look back. As @Skerhunter said judging distance is difficult when you start out but the more time you spend behind the optics the easier it gets.
Any recommendations? Did I waste my money on the AGM?

Wrench

WKR
I have a atn thor 4 640 which has a rangefinder on it. My pard has a pulsar thermion that also has an rf.

Fun stuff for yotes.

Honestly the thermal market has changed so much the last few years it's hard to stay on top of it. What I'd recommend you do is Call Jason Robertson @ Outdoor Legacy Gear

Jason is great guy and will not do you wrong. Just explain to him what you're trying to accomplish and what your budget is. He will not up sell you on something just because he wants to make more money. If you don't want to call them and would rather watch YouTube videos or do the research yourself. Check out there YouTube channel as they give out great information on every aspect of thermals in all price ranges.

Any more direct questions feel free to PM me

OP
passinggas33
Thank you for these leads. I’ll give the gentleman a and see if I can get some guidance from him. Appreciate it!

yeahkkyle

FNG
What Taipan did you get? I ran a Taipan TM19-384 for almost 3 years and used a Bering Optics Super Hogster to shoot with. Not having the LRF can be difficult with thermal but if you know your areas with a flat shooting round you can make due. I upgraded to a 640 scanner with LRF earlier this year and now also have a 640 scope with LRF. Should be able to get a 384 thermal scope with LRF around the $3-3500 range depending on model. Iray has some great image scopes. As others mentioned, figure out your budget and go from there.

OP
passinggas33
What Taipan did you get? I ran a Taipan TM19-384 for almost 3 years and used a Bering Optics Super Hogster to shoot with. Not having the LRF can be difficult with thermal but if you know your areas with a flat shooting round you can make do. I upgraded to a 640 scanner with LRF earlier this year and now also have a 640 scope with LRF. Should be able to get a 384 thermal scope with LRF around the $3-3500 range depending on model. Iray has some great image scopes. As others mentioned, figure out your budget and go from there.
I bought the TM25-384.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I bought the TM25-384.
I don't see any need to upgrade your scanner unless you are looking for one with LRF. If it was me I'd buy a scope with LRF either 384 or 640, depending on your budget.

I've had great experience with Brad at East Coast Thermal and Kurt/Ronda at Midwest Thermal Optic.

OP
passinggas33
I don't see any need to upgrade your scanner unless you are looking for one with LRF. If it was me I'd buy a scope with LRF either 384 or 640, depending on your budget.

I've had great experience with Brad at East Coast Thermal and Kurt/Ronda at Midwest Thermal Optic.
Thanks for the info. I’ll reach out to them as well.

OP
passinggas33
Quick update on my searching…
I did some phone calls yesterday and it sounds like my scanner isn’t a bad set up. After talking with two different companies, for what I’m trying to accomplish, both recommended a scope with LRF built into it. As you all know, the sky is the limit when it comes to cost with those. But, it seems like the “pulsar thermion 2 xq50 pro lrf” seems to keep showing up as a reoccurring optic as a good value. If anybody has any good insight on that particular scope, I would love to hear about it. As it looks like I might be headed down that path.

Thanks again everybody for your input!

yeahkkyle

FNG
Looks like they are around the $4k mark. I don't personally have experience with a Pulsar. Take a look at the Iray Bolt TL35. They're around $2700 then the rangefinder is $800. If you like more compact look, Iray has the G series with LRF option. Bering Optics just released the Super Hogster with LRF not long ago. Not sure on your shooting distance but has a 3.5x base mag. I have zero complaints with my Bering SH, I just wanted to upgrade to a 640 with LRF. I was eyeing the Bering Super Yoter but glad I went with the Iray Hybrid. I think Iray has some of the best images right now.

OP
passinggas33
Looks like they are around the $4k mark. I don't personally have experience with a Pulsar. Take a look at the Iray Bolt TL35. They're around $2700 then the rangefinder is $800. If you like more compact look, Iray has the G series with LRF option. Bering Optics just released the Super Hogster with LRF not long ago. Not sure on your shooting distance but has a 3.5x base mag. I have zero complaints with my Bering SH, I just wanted to upgrade to a 640 with LRF. I was eyeing the Bering Super Yoter but glad I went with the Iray Hybrid. I think Iray has some of the best images right now.
They did recommend that Bolt scope but said if you were planning on going with a LRF from the get go, they recommended an all in one unit. They just seem to work better in their opinion. I’ll have to look at the other two scopes you’ve mentioned. Thanks!

I'm sure the dealers you spoke with mentioned this but getting the correct base mag scope for the terrain/shot distance is imperative. You don't want a low base mag if your're coyote hunting in open terrain because each zoom will cut your resolution in half, just like you wouldn't want a higher base mag scope if you were hog hunting over a feeder at sub 100 yards because of the loss of FOV.
One thing to consider when spending this amount of money on an optic is warranty.
Pulsar - 3 years
InfiRay - 5 years
Bering- 4 years
AGM- 5 years on 384-640 units & 3 years on 160x256 units
Iray USA- 5 years

Also FYI: Bering & IRAY use the same sensors

Whatever you end purchasing just make sure to buy from reputable dealer. You may be able to save some coin buying them online but in the event of a problem or questions it sure is nice to be able to call up your dealer and actually talk to a real life human.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I'm sure the dealers you spoke with mentioned this but getting the correct base mag scope for the terrain/shot distance is imperative. You don't want a low base mag if your're coyote hunting in open terrain because each zoom will cut your resolution in half, just like you wouldn't want a higher base mag scope if you were hog hunting over a feeder at sub 100 yards because of the loss of FOV.
One thing to consider when spending this amount of money on an optic is warranty.
Pulsar - 3 years
InfiRay - 5 years
Bering- 4 years
AGM- 5 years on 384-640 units & 3 years on 160x256 units
Iray USA- 5 years

Also FYI: Bering & IRAY use the same sensors

Whatever you end purchasing just make sure to buy from reputable dealer. You may be able to save some coin buying them online but in the event of a problem or questions it sure is nice to be able to call up your dealer and actually talk to a real life human.
Great info I didn't think to mention. Warranty and buying from a reputable dealer.

I just had a great example of this 4 weeks ago. I bought an Iray Hybrid from Midwest Thermal Optic and upon receiving the image was bad and I knew something wasn't right. Did a little digging and turns out the shutter was sticking(this has happened on other brands as well from my research). At this point I was pretty bummed to have a $6650 paper weight and the delay of the RMA process as I wanted to hunt that weekend with the new scope. Reached out to Midwest Thermal first thing in the AM and they handled the RMA and sent me a brand new scope so I didn't have to deal with return/wait on the repair.