Inreach plans

Pgohil

WKR
Strongly considering buying my own inreach see instead of renting. I spent $230 last September for inreach rental that was unlimited everything. 10min tracking.

Looking at the freedom plans, it will cost me $25/year and $65 for the month of September. I would probably keep plans turned off the rest of the year.

Are there better options?
Any was to save any money?

Thanks
PGohil, WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I keep mine on all year and use it about every month. I just pay the cheap $12 plan and try to keep the texts to a minimum. I do go over the limit during scouting and hunting season but it’s only $.50 a message. I might upgrade my plan this year depending on where I’m at then lower it after the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
So you can do that on the regular subscription plan? That may work well.

cmahoney

WKR
Yep, I used it two weeks ago when I was camping with my boy. This time of year we take it trout fishing where there is little coverage. Here is my monthly total for the 10 message plan

52bfb8b90de0918ec86e76f41773d71a.jpg

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
With the subscription plan, you pay $20 once to activate. Then $12/month. For the month of heavy usage, $50, and then you gotta pay $25 to down grade again. So that is $207/year. (Not counting the initial $20)

If I got the freedom plan I pay $25/year and $65 for the month of heavy use. $90 total. But I don't get to use it 11 months out of the year. Or if I do decide to use it, it's $15 minimum.

I think the freedom plan would work best for me.

cmahoney

WKR
I haven’t changed my plan yet, just pay for the extra messages. Heavy use for me is just checking in every night. A lot of the places I go will have cell service if you hike to the top so I try to do that and call once and a while. Now that I have the inReach I would hate to not be able to use it when I want. 10 messages is plenty for most of the year.

87TT

WKR
I'm not sure I ever went over the 10 messages what with cell service like it is. Stays on all year. Any time I'm out in the woods alone, it's on. Keeps the wife happy. You get unlimited pre set messages. Too hard to text on it just for fun.

muddydogs

WKR
I think if you do the math you will find that the cheapest plan works out the best unless your using the unit a lot. At $.50 a message over the 10 allowed with the plan thats 50 messages for $25. So if you switch plans for a high use month then spend the $25 to switch back you might as well just leave the unit on the cheap plan and pay overages for a month or two.

I run 2 units on the professional plan, I keep both units on the cheapest plan when in use, suspend both units in the winter when I know I won't be needing them and suspend one unit here and there when its not needed.

I also have the cheap $12 a month plan. You get 10 typed messages and any more than that costs $0.50 each. which means that you could send 26 additional messages (36 total) before it costs as much as the next plan which allows 40 messages and costs $13 more.

You also have 3 preset messages that are unlimited and 99% of the time that is all I need. A nightly "In camp for night" is usually all that I send.

I also don't use the tracking feature very often, maybe once or twice a year so the $0.10 per tracking point is cheaper than a more expensive plan.

P Carter

WKR
Dumb question on the cheapest plan. Do "location tracking" and "location pings" mean only the tracking feature and pings from the website? Or do those include dropping a waypoint and sending a message (like a preset message) that also sends your location? If it's the former, that seems like the plan for me. If it's the latter then I have some thinking to do. Thank you!

Sending a preset message also sends your location and I have used that to my advantage to mark locations.

I have a Delorme model without GPS. So the way I use mine may be different than others because I can't use mine as a GPS in the field. I only use the tracking feature or preset messages to create locations if I plan to review where I've been or mark locations on the map in my account.

Location pings are used by others to ping your location. You set who can view your account and have access to your locations. So if your wife wanted to know where you are she could Ping your location and with the cheap "Safety Plan" that would cost you $0.10. I have never used this feature.

Location tracking is different. You set the interval at which you want the device to log your position. With most plans the interval can be 10 minutes or more. Only the most expensive plan allows you to reduce the interval down to every 2 minutes. This leaves a trail of waypoints showing your location over time.

87TT

WKR
If I understand your question, You can send as many of the three preset messages as you want and no charge. Tracking and pinging there is a charge for. I don't know about dropping a waypoint as I don't use it. Only my GPS that is separate.

I have the safety plan and use it year round. I mainly use the preset messages to let the wife know I'm ok. I have gone over the limit a couple times but its only .50 a message so still cheaper. You can also use the preset messages to mark a location. I haven't ever used the tracking function. I have the older in reach hooked up to my phone with the earthmate app which is pretty handy. Be carful with that map on earthmate it shows trails that never existed. Not sure if they were proposed trails or what but all I know is they aren't there lol.

P Carter

WKR
Got it, thanks all. I think I have my head wrapped around this.

Not sure how I'll eventually actually use the device, but for now I use my GPS watch for tracking and waypoint marking. I'll probably use the inreach solely for emergencies, check-ins, and back-up "navigate back" functions (i.e., mark camp and the truck and use if I get turned around and GPS watch isn't getting it done).

muddydogs

WKR
In case you don't know, if your using Earthmate app on your phone and want to track then disconnect your phone to InReach Bluetooth and just use your phone GPS to track. Once the Bluetooth is turned off and you turn on tracking from your phone you will get a message saying that your InReach is disconnected and do you want to use your phones GPS to track. The phone tracking lays down a way better track line then the InReach at 10 minute intervals.