Insert glue

What are you using for insert glue on carbons?
I have been using superglue gel for a few years and want to see what new or better.
Gold tip velocity and standard aluminum insert.

I use heat reversible glue ("hot melt"), either Bohning Cool Flex or Kimsha. I like having the ability to easily change out my inserts.

Most arrow manufacturers say don't use hot melt with carbon, but it can be done safely if done carefully...use glue with a lower melting temperature, don't apply heat directly to the carbon, don't get the insert hotter than necessary.

D S 319

WKR
Used hot melt last year worked great till it doesn’t. Blue stuff for sure sucks, the tan stuff worked a bit better. I’ll probably just epoxy mine for now on.

FLYBYU44

FNG
Best thing I have used is hot glue gun sticks that my wife buys from the Dollarstore. I steal a few here and there. Holds up in all temperatures and you don't need to slam the heat at it for it to melt. Have bought specialty archery glues and hot melt, complete garbage.

BBob

WKR
Loctite Black Max. It's a toughened super glue for impact applications. It works very well but is permanent. Been using it on arrows since the early 90's :)

After I square, use a bore brush on inside, then set in a jar of acetone a few minutes. Wipe out with q-tip. Usually easton hot melt, can use boiling water to pull them if need be. If I'm certain I want them to stay....

1470003_1000x.jpg

It's some sort of tire sealant/repair. Rubberized superglue. Doesn't seem to get brittle like other regular super glues over time.

BBob

WKR
After I square, use a bore brush on inside, then set in a jar of acetone a few minutes. Wipe out with q-tip. Usually easton hot melt, can use boiling water to pull them if need be. If I'm certain I want them to stay....

View attachment 667239

It's some sort of tire sealant/repair. Rubberized superglue. Doesn't seem to get brittle like other regular super glues over time.
It's a Loctite Black Max knock off :ROFLMAO:

BBob

WKR
Or is it an original that Loctite copied?
Loctite had it in the 80's (that's when I started using it). We used a bunch of Bob Smith cyano glue at that time for lapidary work and I wasn't aware of a rubberized cyano from them at that time but can't say they didn't have it.

Loctite had it in the 80's (that's when I started using it). We used a bunch of Bob Smith cyano glue at that time for lapidary work and I wasn't aware of a rubberized cyano from them at that time but can't say they didn't have it.

Does the Loctite setup instant?

The Bob Smith stuff gives you a little bit. Like 30 seconds, so it's nice for hits.

I mean, it will setup quick, but it will stay softer for a lot longer than any of the other cyanowhatever glues.

BBob

WKR
Does the Loctite setup instant?

The Bob Smith stuff gives you a little bit. Like 30 seconds, so it's nice for hits.

I mean, it will setup quick, but it will stay softer for a lot longer than any of the other cyanowhatever glues.
Not instant but I'm not sure how long you have. I have no issues with it gluing hits.

TheTone

WKR
Been doing 2 part epoxy for years and Always had great results until the last dozen arrows I built (black eagle Spartans) I’ve lost inserts out of a couple of them in targets. Someone had recommend a certain type of gorilla glue on a post a while ago and I’m going to try that with one of the inserts I need to put back in

Ehunter56

FNG
Been using Bob Smith Industries thick the last couple years. Before that, blue cap locktite superglue. With any of the CA glues, you can still remove an insert if needed. Screw in a field point, slowly heat it up with a torch, or over the burners on the stove, and just keep trying to pull the insert out gently until you can. Never found a CA glue that wasn't heat reversible.

Luked

WKR
For years I have used normal Hot melt glue you can buy at Wal Mart for just a heat gun like your wife or kids use for crafting stuff.
People will say its not strong enough but I have never once had an issue with it in the 15-20 years I have been using it.

WBrim

WKR
I’ve used a couple gorilla glue products and some super glue, but had problems. About 3 years now of using the Kimsha hot melt, and haven’t had an issue yet.