Insulated boots in September?

mbv3

FNG
Does anyone wear insulated boots in the early fall? Considering it because I love my Schnee's Beartooths, but worried I'll end up with squishy sweaty feet.

Someone tell me you've done this and tell me I'm dumb to consider it!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got a 200g pair of those - have worn all day in September to break them in a bit, but it was decently cool for that trip. 60-70’s this week here so I will not be using them: much prefer a pair of uninsulated boots when it’s 50+ out.

Poser

WKR
From my perspective, wearing insulated boots in September, barring unusually cool conditions, is absurd. When it’s in the 80s and sunny, my non insulated boots are cooking hot, literally can’t get them off soon enough any chance I get.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never done this and your dumb to consider it.
I’ve elk hunted 1st rifle which is mid October and had 2’ of snow on the ground, but 50 degree air temps in the day and I still ended up with sweaty macerated feet. However, my hands and feet sweat a lot with minimal to no exertion, so that’s a bit unique to me.

Regardless, even if I didn’t have sweaty hands and feet, my feet still get quite hot in mild to cool temps when I’m active. Add in a waterproof membrane and you just drive the internal boot heat and discomfort up that much more.

Don’t they make a non-insulated version built on the same last that should fit you pretty close to what you have? I know it’s more cost but like my daddy always said - ‘right tool for the right job’.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
insulated boots when it's in the teens or lower; a decent sock and goretex goes a long ways in keep your feet warm w/o any insulation