Insulated overboots

I generally hunt in uninsulated boots but am looking at options for western hunting when the temps drop really low. I know a lot of guys hunt in insulated hiking boots but I don’t love the lack of modularity if temps aren’t staying frigid the whole time. I tend to have cold hands/feet (I assume I have poor circulation) but also am a pretty heavy sweater.

ive been looking at neos insulated overboots and am wondering if they may be the answer for hunting in snow and very low temps. This way I could wear my uninsulated crispis and just add insulation and further weatherproofness when needed. Has anyone used the neos or something similar for hunting?

Wrench

WKR
Neos are killer. I've used them at -30 -50* f working outside. They are not as nimble as boots, but very warm and if it's truly cold they're hard to beat.

renagde

WKR
I think it depends on how you use them. I always run a uninsulated boot and I had great success with that out west. If my feet got cold I started walking. For eastern hunting I run the same boot and slip on the Arctic Shield boot covers when I get in my stand. I don't have problems with cold feet using this method.

Wrench

WKR
I can run my Meindl Perfekt boots to 10f if I can move. If I were stand hunting or it was colder, neos would be a reasonable choice. They are cordura so brush sneaking would be a challenge, but stomping snow or stand sitting.....they will buy you 30-50*.

OP
G
Yeah I run the arctic shield covers eastern whitetail hunting and have had good success with them. This past year though leading into the first couple days of elk season we were seeing daytime temps in the teens and had about 8 inches of snow on the ground. I don’t have great circulation so that definitely had me wishing for a bit of insulation on my feet even when walking (which you can’t do with the arctic shield obviously).

That’s what got me thinking about maybe picking up a pair of neos but they seem like they’d be a little clunky so I wasn’t sure if they’d really solve my problem. I don’t think I’d use them except in really cold weather, so I’m trying to avoid buying a pair of insulated hiking boots

renagde

WKR
Yeah I run the arctic shield covers eastern whitetail hunting and have had good success with them. This past year though leading into the first couple days of elk season we were seeing daytime temps in the teens and had about 8 inches of snow on the ground. I don’t have great circulation so that definitely had me wishing for a bit of insulation on my feet even when walking (which you can’t do with the arctic shield obviously).

That’s what got me thinking about maybe picking up a pair of neos but they seem like they’d be a little clunky so I wasn’t sure if they’d really solve my problem. I don’t think I’d use them except in really cold weather, so I’m trying to avoid buying a pair of insulated hiking boots

Gotcha, yeah you might be better off just going with insulated pac boots or something.