Insulated vs Non-Insulated. School me....

4ester

WKR
Looking at some new boots for the upcoming hunting season. Hunting the high county of Wyoming, where the weather can be unpredictable at best.

I see a bunch of guys running un-insulated boots for hunting. I'm sure they are great boots, but in the back of my mind I can see my feet freezing.

I want an all around boot that can be worn for Mule Deer and also for the later October elk season.

Explain to me the conditions the un-insulated boots can handle comfortably.

Help!

Thanks in advance.....

Un-insulated boots, especially those with an all leather upper, will take you down at least to 20* in great comfort. Having your feet sweat is a far bigger problem than being a bit cold, and still dry. In my experience, insulated boots have no place in my kit unless it's under 20*, and I'm primarily going to be sitting (IE ice fishing, in a duck blind, predator calling, etc). I wear my leather, uninsulated boots for all my fall hunts (into late November at least) and my feet really never get cold. The only time they really get cold is as described above; when it's well under 20* and I'm not moving around much. For a boot to take you through late October, I think uninsulated is the only way to go.

tttoadman

WKR
I have learned that my cold feet in my uninsulated Lowas is partially because they are a little too narrow. If you are set on a single pair, I would get the uninsulated. Just make sure they are truly big enough. In nice weather, put a felt footbed in the bottom to go along with thinner socks. When the cold comes along, thicken up the socks and lose the extra felt footbed.

I am still figuring it out myself, so take this for what its worth.

elkguide

WKR
Having hunted the high country in Wyoming I'm one for insulated boots. I rode out of the wilderness on a Tuesday in a t-shirt and back in on a Thursday in snow up to my arm pits. (actually walked most of the way breaking trail for the horses) I've got an older pair of Lacrosse Big Mouintains that are great. (similar to Schnees or Kennetrek) I take a second pair of liners with me to allow one pair to dry out if the first gets wet. I found that my feet would get cold after hiking in and then sitting and glassing for an hour or two with uninsulated boots and have been happy with these ever since. Just wish they still made these boots today.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few decades ago my feet froze so bad in the middle of October with insulated boots, that my feet are still cold sensitive to this day. I absolutely have to have good insulation when the temps dip or if I'm tromping through deep snow all day. For archery season, I can go either way with insulated or uninsulated.

I have insulated (400 G) and uninsulated of the same boot. I wear both on the hunt, wearing one on one day, then letting them dry out on the Peets dryer while I wear the other pair the second day. With quality socks, I can't tell the difference in the ability for either pair to keep my feet warm in cold (or snow), nor in warmer weather having my feet get too hot. All told, I actually prefer the uninsulated over the insulated boots.
As others have said, if your feet get wet (perspire) then they will get cold in just about anything below 40 degrees. Get a good pair of good fitting boots and a good pair of wicking wool socks, and either (insulated or uninsulated) will serve you well.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
I am specifically worried about glassing for most of the day. This is when my feet get cold. We hunted mid September last year and ran into about a foot of snow in places.

GKPrice

Banned
I am specifically worried about glassing for most of the day. This is when my feet get cold. We hunted mid September last year and ran into about a foot of snow in places.

I wear Lowa - Tibet noninsulated and "whatever" the next 2 or so years after they changed from the "Sheep Hunter" but 400 gm insulation - I wear them a 1/2 size large with green (for me) superfeet insoles - I've found that socks make one heck of a difference - I wore Smart Wool extra heavy hunting OTC socks this last December in Wyoming and my feet had never been so comfortable in a late season outing (the OTC socks provided some "compression" as well and I'm sold on THAT now too) It seems to me that everyone has a differing level of potential comfort for warmth where feet are concerned ..... MERINO WOOL for sure though (or batteries)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Where did you run into a foot of snow in Sept last year? In Colorado last year this was the first season ever for me where I didn't pull out the rain jacket, puffy, or even my heavier fleece the entire season.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
Where did you run into a foot of snow in Sept last year? In Colorado last year this was the first season ever for me where I didn't pull out the rain jacket, puffy, or even my heavier fleece the entire season.

Wyoming must have different weather. Our tents were setup in 3-4 inches, and the north facing slope where we glassed from had nearly a foot. I had every layer on.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
Anybody else have any input? After trying some boots on I have narrowed it down to either the Tibets, Tibet Hi or Bighorn. Anybody use these boots and can tell me how they perform in colder temps? Also unsure if I should go to the taller height? Or just stick with the lower to save a little weight?