Interval training with weighted pack

Wingnutty

FNG
Anyone do any interval training with a weighted pack? Just did a 3 mile uphill training session with a 35lb weighted pack; 1 minute jog, 4 minute hike. Felt good but am I missing anything that could cause short or long term injury concerns?

I’m short on time (family man with 4 kids) and just don’t have time for longer 3-5 mile hikes and I feel like some interval training over 2-3 mile distance can help me build some of the cardio and endurance I’m missing from longer hikes.

I also hit the gym 4x/week and swim 1-2miles worth of sprints 2x/week. Looking to mix 2 interval pack hikes each week to the routine.

Thanks for any input/discussion!

Hoodie

WKR
I think if you build up slowly to it, running with a ruck can be okay. It wouldn't be my first choice. When it was a major part of my job I would ruck on rolling hills, jog the uphill parts and walk the downhills/flats. I think uphill is somewhat easier on the joints.

That said, I think steady state hiking is probably a safer option for developing pack tolerance/specific fitness. If I were going to program intervals I'd do them on a stationary bike. Swimming would work as well though, provided technique isn't a limiting factor.

Most people don't actually have the aerobic base to get the most out of intervals. Highly recommend looking at this stuff and doing a heart rate drift test (determines aerobic threshold) and an anaerobic threshold test. If your aerobic threshold isn't within 10% of your anaerobic threshold you are much better off doing all steady state work at a lower intensity.

Time constraints suck, but you really can't replace volume for building endurance. Ideally anyway. Real world you're already doing a lot more than plenty of people who kill elk every year.

P Carter

WKR
^ Agreed. I dunno that jogging adds anything, and it would increase impact forces and the chance of injury. If you have a sufficient aerobic base, get that pack loaded up, find the steepest hill you can and head straight up at your lactate threshold (roughly stated, to the point your muscles are feeling the burn but won’t quit on you for the duration of the workout) for as much time as you have. If that is 30 minutes, so be it. If it’s a short hill you may have to do repeats.

I think you can get in plenty good shape with 2-3 miles of heavy uphill pack carries, so long as you are putting the other work in (consistent low-intensity hikes/running and strength work).

Not my idea; but I’ve done blocks of this type workout and it seems really effective:

Last edited: