Iron will chipping

N2TRKYS

WKR
Dang, my Grim Reaper buried about 4” in the dirt after a pass through and it didn’t look that bad. They didn’t cost as much either.

Marble

WKR
If Bill chimes in I'm sure he'll explain. But I do recall him talking about edge angles and single bevels and how they are not what he found to be optimal for edge retention. He basically responded to the market demand from people who insist on having a single bevel.

I've shot a couple critters wi6h S125s and both arrows hit the dirt after. Both were fine, spun true and took just a few swipes to be ready to shoot again. They were actually still really sharp but since I knew how sharp they could be I sharpened them after.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
rvalleyp

rvalleyp

FNG
"Extremely hard steel" is prone to chipping. Soft steels roll over, hard steels chip...that's how it works.
I get that, but when researching different heads I don't remember reading anything about the single bevel broadheads being prone to chipping. I think it would be in everyone's best interest to list that as a con when deciding on broadheads

OP
rvalleyp

rvalleyp

FNG
Did you kill the deer? If so case closed the broadhead did what it was supposed to.
yes I did, and the smile on my daughters face makes it worth every penny, but you have to know that's a terrible argument
I would try the double bevels before you abandon ship.

I expect a lot out of a $30+ head but a fine edge is just going to take damage when smashing into bone at high speed.
absolutely I'm not bashing on Iron will broadheads, I will continue to use the wide unless I have the same problems.
If Bill chimes in I'm sure he'll explain. But I do recall him talking about edge angles and single bevels and how they are not what he found to be optimal for edge retention. He basically responded to the market demand from people who insist on having a single bevel.

I've shot a couple critters wi6h S125s and both arrows hit the dirt after. Both were fine, spun true and took just a few swipes to be ready to shoot again. They were actually still really sharp but since I knew how sharp they could be I sharpened them after.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This is the response I'm looking for, the single bevel is not optimal for edge retention. I will stick with the solids or wides.

bsnedeker

WKR
I get that, but when researching different heads I don't remember reading anything about the single bevel broadheads being prone to chipping. I think it would be in everyone's best interest to list that as a con when deciding on broadheads
It's not an issue with single bevels. I shoot Kudu single bevels and I've never had one chip on me and I've shot these things directly into rocky soil a number of times. The difference is they use a softer steel, which means they lose their edge faster, but they don't chip.

Iron Wills are made out of a very hard steel which means they will hold an edge extremely well, but are prone to chipping. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In my estimation I don't care if a broadhead can be used multiple times without sharpening. Every broadhead gets sharpened by hand before it goes in my quiver, and if it gets shot it gets resharpened. For that reason I went with the Kudu's. If I wanted to shoot the same arrow multiple times without sharpening I would go with IW's I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

If that’s your arguement why use a 40 dollar head. A 10 dollar magnus stinger will kill the hell out of an animal too and you can send it back for a replacement with no questions asked if you choose.

For many animals thus would be fine, however they don't hold up as well as the IW. They are good heads with a good warranty, but the aluminum ferrule and vented blades can be a weak point.
I wouldn't be concerned at all with deer, but similarly I have seen the Strickland helix fail on heavy bone of elk. It was poor shot placement, mangled the head. Would a more durable head have broken thru? Don't know, I think it increases chances, but it still doesn't make up for poor shot placement/selection.

Ucsdryder

WKR
For many animals thus would be fine, however they don't hold up as well as the IW. They are good heads with a good warranty, but the aluminum ferrule and vented blades can be a weak point.
I wouldn't be concerned at all with deer, but similarly I have seen the Strickland helix fail on heavy bone of elk. It was poor shot placement, mangled the head. Would a more durable head have broken thru? Don't know, I think it increases chances, but it still doesn't make up for poor shot placement/selection.
I can buy that. If I were going after Alaskan moose, grizzly bear, etc maybe. A qad exodus is a tough head and flies great and I’ve yet to see one fail personally. For elk and deer I just don’t see the value.

Whisky

WKR
I've also been less than impressed with the IW durability. I have a lot of money invested into their stuff, and keep an ample supply of spare blades on hand should I need to fix one up (which I do).

Overall, I guess my expectations were too high on the durability. And, now with the new warranty, I will likely go another (cheaper) direction as I burn through what I have. I like to practice with BHs and there was a time that if I missed the target or stuck one into the wrong spot on a target, it would be covered. Not anymore.

I can buy that. If I were going after Alaskan moose, grizzly bear, etc maybe. A qad exodus is a tough head and flies great and I’ve yet to see one fail personally. For elk and deer I just don’t see the value.

Only thing I have seen with an Exodus is on a swept blade it kinda crumpled at the ferrule and allowed the front catch of the blade to come out from behind the chisel point. It bent at the insert basically, blade still stayed in place. I think they are excellent heads.

Now on the value of IW, for an eastern hunter heading west it might as well be a moose hunt. The cost in time of work, travel, everything else, it's easy to talk yourself into spending a little more for what you feel like is very best.

I like IW, but I don't know if they are the absolute best all around head. I have a 5 arrow quiver on my bow and it currently has 5 different heads in it. Partly to experiment, but also for different scenarios.

Any single bevel head will be inherently more susceptible to edge damage than a double bevel head of comparable material and dimensions. I've heard @Bill V acknowledge this downside of single bevels in the podcast appearances he has made over the past couple years. A more fragile edge is the tradeoff you have to accept if you want to shoot a single bevel. Iron Wills were designed with a steeper bevel angle than most competitors (32° vs. the more common 25°) to improve edge strength, but they're still not going to hold up as well as a double bevel edge.

Last edited:
Only thing I have seen with an Exodus is on a swept blade it kinda crumpled at the ferrule and allowed the front catch of the blade to come out from behind the chisel point. It bent at the insert basically, blade still stayed in place. I think they are excellent heads.

Now on the value of IW, for an eastern hunter heading west it might as well be a moose hunt. The cost in time of work, travel, everything else, it's easy to talk yourself into spending a little more for what you feel like is very best.

I like IW, but I don't know if they are the absolute best all around head. I have a 5 arrow quiver on my bow and it currently has 5 different heads in it. Partly to experiment, but also for different scenarios.
I like IW. I’ve chipped a few shooting grouse, but they perform. Had all pass throughs including bison and moose. I’m in the camp where I rather have crazy sharp and edge retention vs a softer steel that won’t chip.

With the multiple heads in the quiver, I used to do the same. Then one day I had a fast opportunity on an elk quartering to, meant to grab the arrow with IW but in the moment grabbed one with a 2.1 sevr. Recovered the elk but if I hadn’t been shooting logs at 80lbs, don’t think I would of. Now I just stick to one 😂

hoff1ck

WKR
It's not an issue with single bevels. I shoot Kudu single bevels and I've never had one chip on me and I've shot these things directly into rocky soil a number of times. The difference is they use a softer steel, which means they lose their edge faster, but they don't chip.

Iron Wills are made out of a very hard steel which means they will hold an edge extremely well, but are prone to chipping. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

In my estimation I don't care if a broadhead can be used multiple times without sharpening. Every broadhead gets sharpened by hand before it goes in my quiver, and if it gets shot it gets resharpened. For that reason I went with the Kudu's. If I wanted to shoot the same arrow multiple times without sharpening I would go with IW's I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
No such thing as free lunch is the key here, and 100% correct. Have had IW SBs chip, an Annihilator this year too. Both also performed fine through multiple animals as well.

Same with fixed vs mechanicals, heavier arrows etc. You just have to decide what you’re ok with sacrificing and go with it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d rather have a blade chip than fall off completely. That’s why I shoot iron wills. I don’t shoot the single bevels and don’t really see the draw people have to them.

I put one through a doe and into the ground this year that chipped pretty badly. I don’t expect a foot of penetration into the dirt to fare well for anything. I do expect my broadheads to maintain their edge through an animal though.

Attachments

• 301BF21A-F71D-4304-BA2B-C0975F097A34.jpeg
    301BF21A-F71D-4304-BA2B-C0975F097A34.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 22
I like IW. I’ve chipped a few shooting grouse, but they perform. Had all pass throughs including bison and moose. I’m in the camp where I rather have crazy sharp and edge retention vs a softer steel that won’t chip.

With the multiple heads in the quiver, I used to do the same. Then one day I had a fast opportunity on an elk quartering to, meant to grab the arrow with IW but in the moment grabbed one with a 2.1 sevr. Recovered the elk but if I hadn’t been shooting logs at 80lbs, don’t think I would of. Now I just stick to one 😂

Yeah, elk I think I had 2 different heads. Currently just trying to talk myself into shooting a few whitetail, not so concerned with it.

Update. I have been frustrated with chipping on my single bevel Iron Wills after shooting a couple does this season as I mentioned above. After shooting my buck this week, I will never shoot anything but an Iron Will. Period. Long story, but I had a nice buck (and my first archery buck) come in to 14 yds. Had a very small window to take a shot before he hit my wind. I had to aim directly at his shoulder blade to avoid hitting a tree. I bought these broadheads to give me the confidence to take a shot like this and I probably would not with any other broadhead I have owned. The SB Iron will with snydercore shaft and collars did its job and is still serviceable to use again.

c77099e98850720efd979741bd004209.jpg

Onside shoulder entry, right on the “Y” of the shoulder.
212248fbbf89360908b2d160af087f59.jpg

Onside shoulder exit, completely shattered.
5aec8178603864786cb56a6f532a367f.jpg

Far side shoulder. Made it all the way through shoulder but did not exit the hide. Both lungs deflated and the deer made it about 100 yds. Im not sure if other broadheads would have held up through this, but I am sure that I probably would not have been confident enough to take this shot. I will deal with the chipping and sharpen or replace as necessary. I spend too much time and money chasing these critter to have a broadhead fail.

cc792b1c8ea3142c94bf62dc85d86c40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D S 319

WKR
Heck my double bevel chip all the time and was considering trying the single bevel but now I’m reconsidering that.

TheHammer

WKR
The out of box sharpness is a huge factor for me, the only issues I have is the rusting. I will continue to use IW as I believe it’s the best option for my setup. Good luck to everyone with what tags you have yet this year.

Sapcut

WKR
Any single bevel head will be inherently more susceptible to edge damage than a double bevel head of comparable material and dimensions. I've heard @Bill V acknowledge this downside of single bevels in the podcast appearances he has made over the past couple years. A more fragile edge is the tradeoff you have to accept if you want to shoot a single bevel. Iron Wills were designed with a steeper bevel angle than most competitors (32° vs. the more common 25°) to improve edge strength, but they're still not going to hold up as well as a double bevel edge.
The problem with broadheads chipping is not because of it being single bevel. It’s due to steel quality. TuffHeads are scary sharp 30* single bevels that I have killed a bunch of animals with. Never chipped ever. Its the steel not the bevel.

Just had my 1336 grainer pass thru into the dirt hillside. Just the latest example of never chipping.

Last edited: