Iron Will DB vs QAD Exodus vs Magnus Stinger

Getting back into bow hunting after 6 year hiatus, re-evaluating my arrow builds for elk, switching to a 100gr fixed blade, and based on my friends recommendations and some research it seems these three options rise to the top. Seemingly, all three of these are great heads and there is no wrong choice, any disagreement on that conclusion?

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I like all those but my favorite is the iron will single bevels. The QAD imo are the best for the money awesome head tuff as hell too the down side they destroy targets. I have killed deer with all 3 and all did the job. You can’t beat a qad for what the cost and you can 6 cheaper then 3 iron wills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ColoradoCarp
I like all those but my favorite is the iron will single bevels. The QAD imo are the best for the money awesome head tuff as hell too the down side they destroy targets. I have killed deer with all 3 and all did the job. You can’t beat a qad for what the cost and you can 6 cheaper then 3 iron wills

Do you have an opinion on the full or swept version of the QADs?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Magnus makes a great head that’s killed more than iron will and exodus combined, probably 10 times over.

My wife got a pass through on a big 6 point with a 125gr 2 blade stinger and 40lb draw. I’ve killed a couple of bulls with them and never had an issue with ribs, I’ve never hit a shoulder.

My buddy has a picture of the shoulder ball joint on an elk that was blown up by an exodus. Pretty impressive

Iron will makes a great product. If you hate money then go for it! It'll kill them just as dead as the others for triple the price.

The black hornet is solid too!

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    777.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I've used the Magnus and the IW.

My experience with the magnus 2 blade. Penetrates well until it hits bone. Then either the feral has broken or the blade broke. They are super sharp and fly well, but they were not very strong. My wife shot these at blacktails. Both of her hits struck a rib or a backbone. Both heads were ruined. Seemed like the rib just damaged the Blade, bending it over. She killed the buck though.

The only downfall I see of the IW is the price. I've killed one bull with an S125. It seemed as sharp as it started out.

The other option is a Kudu. Half the price of the IW or less. Very durable and sharp. Easy to sharpen. I've shot several animals with these, and unless I strike a rock I can reuse them.

The QAD is popular. I am not a fan of the blades that are similar to razor blades that just aren't real beefy.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
The blades on the qad might not seem tuff but they are super tuff I’ve hit bone trees roots 4x4 posts and they were fine. I have resharpened them but I’d rather just buy the replacement blades. My buddy is using the same 3 for the last 4 years and has killed many deer with those same 3 heads and they are still going strong. Same as mine we have resharpened a few times but now he just gets the new blades…

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve used the Magnus Stinger Black Hornet and the QAD exodus. Both awesome. I refuse to pay Iron Will money for something that will inevitably blow through an animal and hit a rock.

CMF

WKR
I've used magnus tinger killer bees and QAD and have IW to try this year. QAD didn't fly quite as good as the killer bee, both had good penetration on animals. Two shots on a bull broadside with QAD and they both blew through. Shots on deer and one frontal on elk with the killer bees and pass through on broadside and good pen on frontals. Haven't shot an animal with the IW yet, but they are shooting well.

dlee56

WKR
Sounds like you just need to decide how much money you can afford to spend. I think those 3 heads are some of the best heads for their price range.

It’s like asking if you should get a 90s Corolla, F350, or Lamborghini

TheTone

WKR
I’ve killed a bunch of critters with stingers and black hornets. I’ve broke one in an elks off side leg but the leg bone was also pretty darn broken. Bent a couple bleeder blades. They’ve always flown well for me, came sharp and been easy to resharpen. I’ve had a couple four blade ones where I had a little issue with getting the bleeder and bleeder block to really lock down when I took them a part and put them back together. I really think they are a great head, especially for the money

I did pick up some exodus last fall to try out mainly based on success a friend has had and wanting to see if they leave a bigger hole being a 3 blade. Having shot anything with them yet but they flew awesome

thayerp81

FNG
I've been using the QAD Exodus swept and I love it. I recently switched over from mechanicals, so I've only shot one deer with it but it was a complete pass through and the accuracy and durability is amazing.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both QAD and IW double and single bevels.

All where complete pass throughs, my only complaint is the blood trail on an IW isnt as great as a three blade.

What ever you go with just make sure to practice and build confidence that you can place your shot where it needs to go when it matters.

Magnus is good but the aluminum ferrule is the Achilles heel. The blades are a little thin too but sharpen up nicely when touched up with one of the roller guides everyone uses.

Day six is slightly more affordable than IW, but IW would be "best of the best" and I recommend having bleeder blades

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
The IronWill is the best BH that I've used in 30 years.
My tuned bow flies them out at 60 yards to the point that I won't shoot arrows at same dot.
Great penetration too, Avatar muley buck was a pass-through shot at 67-yards. PT's on bull elk at 35, 42 yards.

Originally purchased 3 vented IW blades. But 2nd year switched to 6 each of the DB Solid-S, both in 125gr.
One BH has taken 3 bucks. Another BH has dropped 2 bulls, 1 cow. Retired these 2 BH, using for target practice.
Maybe I'll use one of the 4 new blades this year :).

I resharpen with Innovative Outdoorsman system. Better sharpness than new.
The only drawback are the IW blades need maintenance. Lightly oil, then wiped clean during storage to prevent rust.

10ringer

WKR
QAD Exodus tuned great with field points for me out to 75 yards. Gave up on Magnus years ago because the blade is too soft and would roll at the tip on impact and restrict penetration. Also had weak blood trails. Hard to beat the blood trail of a 3 blade.

OP
ColoradoCarp
QAD Exodus tuned great with field points for me out to 75 yards. Gave up on Magnus years ago because the blade is too soft and would roll at the tip on impact and restrict penetration. Also had weak blood trails. Hard to beat the blood trail of a 3 blade.
After watching some studies by Lusk Archery, I've decided the Magnus is out, just what you are saying seems the tip can bend too easily. Thanks.

SDHNTR

WKR
Cracks me up when guys make blanket claims that broadhead XYZ is more accurate. Provided the broadhead is concentric and spins true, accuracy is simply a matter of the individual bow tune and shooter mechanics. All quality broadheads could be accurate or inaccurate based on the tune of the bow and shooter form. Accuracy has little to do with the broadhead.

dlee56

WKR
Cracks me up when guys make blanket claims that broadhead XYZ is more accurate. Provided the broadhead is concentric and spins true, accuracy is simply a matter of the individual bow tune and shooter mechanics. All quality broadheads could be accurate or inaccurate based on the tune of the bow and shooter form. Accuracy has little to do with the broadhead.
I totally agree with you, 90% of folks issues with archery tackle is purely due to their own LOFT.
That being said, I’d bet my life savings that way more Iron Will heads spin straight out of that box than any other cheaper head like the magnus.