Is 55mm selling myself short??

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I am defintiely "that guy from back East" when it comes to western backcountry hunting. That being said I have very little time behind a spotting scope so trying to make a decision on such a large investment has been very stressful.

Budget: Comfortable spending around $2k or so to cry only once for this purchase but not going to spend $4k on an ATX.
Hunts: For the foreseeable future, I plan to continue to make my one hunting trip every fall to pack in and hunt elk or mule deer in the typical CO, WY, MT, etc states. (stating this for context since no unfortunately this will not be used for sheep or goat any time soon)

I cannot decide between a 55mm or 65mm spotting scope size. Part of me feels like i am selling myself short with a 55. But have heard great things on that little Kowa and it definitly saves a lot of weight. Then again, i know i will get more out of a 65mm that has good glass. I know a lot of guys have their own systems they like to use when it comes to glassing but any input would be appreciated!

I would not go smaller than 65mm. That said I don't use it for elk hunting other than summer scouting. For Mule deer pretty much only for trophy hunts.

I do like to film shots, and scouting pics are neat so digiscoping definitely benefits from a larger objective and HD glass

Depends. How you end up using the scope the most sorts out what size is best for your use. If you glass with binos first and use the scope to figure out how big spotted animals are then small and light are most important. If you like to glass and grid a mountain side with your spotter then field of view becomes more important. 65 is kind of the "jack of all trades"compromise. 50-55 scopes have a narrow field of view but are lighter and compact. 80 mm scopes really pull in the light and have wide fields of view,but the price is increased weight and bulk.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
After a couple of multi-day backpacking hunts last fall, I switched from a 65mm angled to the little 554 Kowa. For my needs I felt it was a good tradeoff. I scan with 10x binos and only pull out the spotter to get a closer look. Sounds like you have the budget for really good glass, so what's your main priority? Decent FOV for scanning or lightweight/compact? Also, I didn't see it mentioned, are you accounting for a good tripod/head combo?

Well said by several posters above. Are you looking for animals with spotter, or using to judge after you've located with your binos? I use binos primarily, and for my style of hunting and glassing, I am saving up for one of the 55mm Kowas.

ahlgringo

WKR
For 99% of my Western hunting, a small spotter isn’t going to do anything my stabilized 12x binos can’t. Unless I was realistically going to draw a sheep or goat tag- I leave the spotter at home. I would honestly suggest spending 2k elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah so my intent for the spotter would be to find the animals, not necessarily for judging after finding them with binos. Definitely would want to play more of the scanning the mountain game. I do plan on bringing 10 bys but nothing bigger than that. I already have a pair so why not bring them.

And no the 2k wouldn't account for tripod and head. I have saved up this money strictly to put toward glass. I am aware I need to get quality tripod and head too but wanted to figure out spotter size first

PHo

WKR
Based on what you said, a spotter might not actually be necessary at all. You can spot animals a mile out with a good set of quality binos on a tripod, and since you’re not field judging, that’ll be all you really need. If your binos are top tier then I would just buy a tripod for them. If they’re not top tier then it would be a better benefit to invest that money into a really good set of binos.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what you said, a spotter might not actually be necessary at all. You can spot animals a mile out with a good set of quality binos on a tripod, and since you’re not field judging, that’ll be all you really need. If your binos are top tier then I would just buy a tripod for them. If they’re not top tier then it would be a better benefit to invest that money into a really good set of binos.
Even with 10 bys?

Even with 10 bys?

I've spotted elk at 4 miles with mid-grade 10x42's.

I have the little Kowa 55 and a Meopta 80 and the light gathering is only a few minutes difference early and late. Outside of those gray light times the 55 gathers all the light just fine. As others have said the FOV is rather limited though, and I mostly use it to judge what I've found once I've found it with my 10's. I might poke out at farther distances with it in search mode sometimes too. The glass is incredible, and I have some very nice Phoneskope video through it.

PHo

WKR
Even with 10 bys?
10’s are perfect, I use 8’s myself. If you’re going to use your budget to upgrade your binos then 12’s are an excellent choice for hunting out west. Just make sure you also leave room in the budget for a decent tripod to mount them on.

Marshfly

WKR
Even with 10 bys?
Absolutely. A mile is nothing with decent 10x42s.
Go on google maps and mark a mile from a street sign or something. Go stand there and try to read it with 10s. Then brace it on a tripod or something and try again. Tripod mounted 10 or 12x binos are absolute money for finding game in most scenarios.

While it is true that a good pair of binos on a tripod are wonderful, you will still be able to catch more with a spotter if you have the time and willingness to look through one eye for long periods. A great spotter that is easy to get behind helps the latter immensely.

For sure though, the 55mm Kowa is not the tool for finding animals. Amazing at resolving detail for its size, yes, but you have to back it out all the way down to 15x to have a respectable field of view. The new Kowa 66 or if you can find a 77 still available would be my suggestions. You'll eventually want to get a spotter anyways and those will hold their value extremely well. If you have the means, I say go for it. Unless . . . your binos are in need of an upgrade; in which case those should get priority along with a tripod too.

Agreed; 55 mm is getting a bit marginal for a spotting scope. Even with 80 mm, I find myself wishing for more exit pupil size at high magnification.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Alpha 10 or 12s are a much better tool for what you describe. And a good tripod. Spotter is 99% for judging, not finding game.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah so my intent for the spotter would be to find the animals, not necessarily for judging after finding them with binos. Definitely would want to play more of the scanning the mountain game.
Then yes, 55mm is selling yourself short.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the info guys! Ill still sleep on it for a bit but def more to think about , which is good

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Very shitty Vortex Diamondbacks. Sounds like the “right” answer is to upgrade these first. But with only making one big optics purchase this year, I’d hate to head out west without a spotter again. I know I said im proabbly not judging animals but 2 years ago OTC Colorado I had a bull at 600 at first light I couldn’t quite make out if he was legal (so I guess I will need to judge). This is why im mentally all over the place with this as it’s still haunting me lol