Is 6.5 Creed phasing out? Is 6.5 PRC phasing in?

Che

FNG
I am helping a friend buy a new rifle. I shoot and kill elk with both a 6.5 Swede and .308. Both at 400 yds. or less.
My friend is choosing between a couple of options
Aside from the debate over efficacy of the round, I am hearing whispers that the PRC outperforms the creed and may eclipse the popularity of the round.
I am curious if anyone with their eye on the industry sees a tide of change or if the PRC is just another branch on the tree of precision shooting?

Last edited:

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 prc is basically the 383 stroker to the creedmoor. So, sure, it's got faster velocities and can use heavier bullets. The disadvantage I'll give it, whole 6 not a true disadvantage, is the prc is a short action with a magnum bolt face, while the creedmoor uses the same bolt as 308 winchester. The trend followers are jumping ship for the"newer, younger model" if you will, but I don't think the creedmoor is going away. It's coming on almost 15 years now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Che

FNG
nhyrum, thanks for your reply.
How does the short action combined with magnum face affect performance or longevity of the round/rifle?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
nhyrum, thanks for your reply.
How does the short action combined with magnum face affect performance or longevity of the round/rifle?
It doesn't. Just means the action isn't as common, which means they're more of a specialty build. Not totally specialty, but 308 actions are everywhere and dime a dozen.

Rodéo

WKR
.300 Win Mag.

The sixes will do the job if everything is perfect but the .300 WM gets it done a lot better.
Same question as OP but with the .300 win mag and .300 PRC. As a guy with no magnum cartridges those are probably the two most enticing from the outside looking in.

OP
C

Che

FNG
From experience, .30 and 6.5 all work great with tradeoffs on both sides. The main concern I have is advising a friend to purchase a lifetime rifle only to see ammunition get rare and costly. I hear the 7mm-08 is fading and it is a great round.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, the creedmoor would be my choice. Nothing wrong with the win mag. But I feel like the creedmoor will be more versatile, cheaper to shoot, and easier for less experienced people to shoot (wives and younger shooters) you can still take larger game with it, given optional shot permanent and range.

Both would respond well to hand loading too, but the belt on the 300 could be a little tricky at grasp for new reloaders.

Definitely hard to say "this is the only rifle you'll ever need"

Reactions: Che
No I don’t think so. I think people don’t really think about just how many people buy creeds. You can find almost every rifle chambered in it, and tons tons tons of factory ammo and brass. I highly highly doubt the prc is close to it, and doubt it ever will be, not that it’s bad, but imo almost all the occasions where the prc is better than the creed (longer range hunting, and heavier game hunting) something else is better than it.

I found mine to be an “anti-Goldilocks” it fits into this grey area of imperfect for almost everything other than I guess antelope hunting. It was more recoil than I wanted for targets, more than needed for whitetails over the creed, less bullet than I wanted for large game, and costed more to reload or buy Ammo for which was hard to find.

I sold it for an enormous loss and bought a ctr in 6.5 creed that shoots better than it did and is more fun to shoot and I have a 30 cal for elk/moose/bear.

FWIW it seems like a total flop on the tactical/competition market. I do think it will be moderately successful in the long range hunting Instagram niche

bmicek

WKR
I really hate to be the guy to do it, since I know you didn’t ask about other cartridges, but for shooting up to elk sized game I’d look hard at a 7mm Rem Mag.

I’ve shot 6.5 creed and 260 Rem and although you CAN use them for elk, I don’t feel like it’d be ideal. To me a 7mm Rem mag would be a good middle point to what your friend is looking at. Can be loaded heavier for elk, or lighter and faster for antelope and deer.

Although you didn’t say your friend would be using it for elk as well. If just target shooting and deer hunting, then the 6.5 creed would be a great choice.

OP
C

Che

FNG
I really hate to be the guy to do it, since I know you didn’t ask about other cartridges, but for shooting up to elk sized game I’d look hard at a 7mm Rem Mag.

I’ve shot 6.5 creed and 260 Rem and although you CAN use them for elk, I don’t feel like it’d be ideal. To me a 7mm Rem mag would be a good middle point to what your friend is looking at. Can be loaded heavier for elk, or lighter and faster for antelope and deer.

Although you didn’t say your friend would be using it for elk as well. If just target shooting and deer hunting, then the 6.5 creed would be a great choice.

I understand that sentiment. In my anecdotal experience, I have laid out 4 elk, one shot, the animal walking less than 30 yds after shot with my 6.5 x 55 Swede. In contrast I hunted with a friend two years ago who wounded and never found a buck and bull with his 300 win mag.

I argue that what is gained in knock down is lost in accuracy for most people, especially a new shooter. This debate will likely never have an end.

I'm really curious about forecasting the the popularity of the two 6.5 rounds.

Lawnboi

WKR
6.5 Swede, 264 win mag, 6.5x284, 260, 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc. All 6.5 in +/- a few hundred FPS

Though I believe the prc and creed are slightly more modern renditions, looks like the marketing of the prc and creed is getting to a lot of guys.

For that we can thank the internet

I understand that sentiment. In my anecdotal experience, I have laid out 4 elk, one shot, the animal walking less than 30 yds after shot with my 6.5 x 55 Swede. In contrast I hunted with a friend two years ago who wounded and never found a buck and bull with his 300 win mag.

I argue that what is gained in knock down is lost in accuracy for most people, especially a new shooter. This debate will likely never have an end.

I'm really curious about forecasting the the popularity of the two 6.5 rounds.

These comments are dead on.. and I do mean dead on. People don't realize that heavier recoil calibers cause reductions in accuracy. It is a proven fact. So many people are trying to compensate for poor rifle mechanics and a poor shot by inducing a larger caliber inaccuracy component. It is an ever sickening cycle. Best just to practice and learn proper shot placement and kill the animal quickly. Most hunters I know never practice and 100 rounds lasts them a decade.

Good on you for understanding this concept, most don't.

As for the popularity of the two rounds.. 6.5 Creedmoor hands down. You can find it almost anywhere now. Never have I seen 6.5 PRC in the shops. Another thing to consider is the larger bolt face will induce a larger action, thereby creating a heavier rifle. No big deal, but if you are a backcountry hunter, it is something to think about. My 6.5 Creedmoor with scope/sling weighs 8 pounds, 6 ounces.

Reactions: Che

Rob5589

WKR
These comments are dead on.. and I do mean dead on. People don't realize that heavier recoil calibers cause reductions in accuracy. It is a proven fact. So many people are trying to compensate for poor rifle mechanics and a poor shot by inducing a larger caliber inaccuracy component. It is an ever sickening cycle. Best just to practice and learn proper shot placement and kill the animal quickly. Most hunters I know never practice and 100 rounds lasts them a decade.

Good on you for understanding this concept, most don't.

As for the popularity of the two rounds.. 6.5 Creedmoor hands down. You can find it almost anywhere now. Never have I seen 6.5 PRC in the shops. Another thing to consider is the larger bolt face will induce a larger action, thereby creating a heavier rifle. No big deal, but if you are a backcountry hunter, it is something to think about. My 6.5 Creedmoor with scope/sling weighs 8 pounds, 6 ounces.
Very true. How many times do you read here, "300 wm, to make up for a not so great hit; not so great angle; having to shoot through xyz; small calibers are for experts," etc.

I am helping a friend buy a new rifle. I shoot and kill elk with both a 6.5 Swede and .308. Both at 400 yds. or less.
My friend is choosing between the 6.5 creed and 300 Win Mag.
Aside from the debate over efficacy of the round, I am hearing whispers that the PRC outperforms the creed and may eclipse the popularity of the round.
I am curious if anyone with their eye on the industry sees a tide of change or if the PRC is just another branch on the tree of precision shooting?

Neither the creedmoor or PRC are particularly popular in the higher levels of competition precision shooting. They are nicely designed cartridges that check a lot of boxes and aren’t going anywhere.

I’d suggest your friend figure out what he wants to do with the rifle because a 300 WM and a 6.5 creedmoor ain’t in the same ballpark.

mvrk28

WKR
Fair warning I skimmed through the replies so I'm not sure if this was already said.

With the current offerings I cannot wrap my head around 6.5 PRC.

You are hamstrung as far as factory ammo goes to Hornady, Federal and I think Nosler has something coming(not a bad option but you're going to pay handsomely).

As of right now for brass I think there is Hornady, ADG (good luck getting your hands on some), Nosler and I think I heard Norma has some coming too (probably where Nosler's is coming from).

So out of those options for brass you're hoping you can act swift enough to actually get some ADG, if not try to chase down Nosler/Norma otherwise you are stuck with Hornady or Federal. I don't know if I am alone in my opinion here but IMO Hornady and Federal are such poor options for brass that I will not use them. I've never seen cases lose primer pockets as fast as Federal brass, absolute junk.

And then if you actually analyze the velocity differences, you're not gaining very much by going to a PRC. I believe the difference in speed of factory Hornady Precision hunter is under 300 fps, closer to 250. Couple that with the loss in barrel life, Dave Emary himself estimates PRC barrel life to be in the 1400-1500 rd range. The Creed is widely considered to be a 2000-3000 rd barrel. I don't know if I want to sacrifice almost 50% barrel life to gain a couple hundred FPS.

You can open this argument up even more if you start comparing 6.5 creeds loaded with RL26, there are guys breaking 3000 FPS with 147 ELDs. I don't think the PRC is really pushing anything much faster than that and it's still taking more powder to do it.

This is all just my opinion but based on the multitude of factors, I think 6.5 Creed will outlive PRC.

mvrk28

WKR
And if you want to end the 6.5mm debate, just get a 6.5-300 Wby Mag. I'm loading for one right now and my goodness this is fun/scary. Putting over 80 grains of IMR 8133 in a case and pressing a 6.5 mm bullet on top of it makes me want to update my life insurance policy.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
And if you want to end the 6.5mm debate, just get a 6.5-300 Wby Mag. I'm loading for one right now and my goodness this is fun/scary. Putting over 80 grains of IMR 8133 in a case and pressing a 6.5 mm bullet on top of it makes me want to update my life insurance policy.
Not going to lie, I'd LOVE a 6.5 magnum, like the 6.5-300 or 6.5 Allen magnum. But currently, it would just be a toy, with no practical application for me.

WCB

WKR
In no way shape or form is the 6.5 Creed going to be phased out by the PRC.