Is 6.5 Creed phasing out? Is 6.5 PRC phasing in?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
It’s probably closest to the 270 in terms of recoil, both are much sharper than the CM. However, the round was specifically designed by GA Precision (i believe in cooperation with Hornady) to generate somewhere ~3000-3050fps with a 140ish bullet. The shooting sports experts thought that was the ultimate “sweet-spot” for repeatable inherent accuracy, ballistics, shootability, and barrel life in a 6.5 round. Having owned one for a while now I think they might be right. It just shoots very differently than a CM.

Yep, the 6.5 PRC is what George Gardner "wanted" to introduce but Hornady wasn't ready. So he went with the 6.5 SAUM (6.5GAP4S in GAP speak) to meet his requirements of a 6.5 140 at an easy 3000-3050 and 130 at 3,200 to stay within the upper 3,200 fps velocity limit, plus the 140 with 61 grains of H1000 kept the pressures down around 58k which is what he was shooting for.

CorbLand

WKR
Man based on the threads, people are hammering the prc koolaid.

If I wanted a faster 6.5, I think I’d still go 6.5x284. For lapua brass, and not having to mess with inbetweener actions.

Not to say it’s a bad cartridge. I think it will take off but man the popularity when there’s a whopping handful of brass manufacturers and even fewer factory loads. I’d still buy one.

Now we just have to come up with a smart ass name for prc shooters like was done with the manbun.

The creed isn’t going anywhere because of the target market.

The PRC rounds would lend themselves to a play on “purse”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
You do know that a lot of Sierra's ammo is loaded by the other major manufacturers and just branded Sierra.

Now if you are just talking bullet options I agree the PRC lacks bullet options but that is changing rapidly.
Actually I believe it is Black Hills that is loading Sierra ammo.

I was only naming Sierra as an example of ammunition that it’s of better quality than the likes of Federal and Hornady. I’m personally not a fan of the ELDX or their brass so that’s not a great offering IMO.

if I had a PRC I’d be buying every ounce of ADG I could when available.

Could you use a short action such as a 6.5 creed or .308 to rebarrel as a 6.5 prc? Or does it have to be a magnum caliber? I don't like many of the current rifle offerings and wanted to use a rem 700 mountain rifle or tikka.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

BadDogPSD

WKR
A short action would limit your bullet choices. Had mine built on a long action, some build on what's considered a medium length action.

Could you use a short action such as a 6.5 creed or .308 to rebarrel as a 6.5 prc? Or does it have to be a magnum caliber? I don't like many of the current rifle offerings and wanted to use a rem 700 mountain rifle or tikka.
Not really appropriate for a short action - OAL a bit too long and the wrong bolt face. Most not built on a standard length action are customs, like Borden Ridgeline, etc - which are a true tweener action - bigger than a short but smaller than a standard.

Last edited:
The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

@Shooter71 can take a Tikka T3X and open up the bolt face for a 6.5 PRC easy peasey...

Man based on the threads, people are hammering the prc koolaid.

If I wanted a faster 6.5, I think I’d still go 6.5x284. For lapua brass, and not having to mess with inbetweener actions.

Not to say it’s a bad cartridge. I think it will take off but man the popularity when there’s a whopping handful of brass manufacturers and even fewer factory loads. I’d still buy one.

Now we just have to come up with a smart ass name for prc shooters like was done with the manbun.

The creed isn’t going anywhere because of the target market.
I am on record in this thread as not a prc lover, but I find it funny that one of your main reasons of going -284 over it is the action length... when that’s the exact same critique I’ve heard about the 6.5-284 for years.