Is a mouth call enough?

Slugz

WKR
Precipitation, wind, temp and terrain i think really drives what calls I have with me. I usually hunt with an owl call, box turkey call, slate call and diaphram call.

Hunting single or with others seems to also factor in which one Im using.

Lastly the birds make a difference also. We hunt these very skittish mountain merriams out here. They are running for their life 24 hours a day. I go over to Nebraska and those birds make me look like a turkey expert.😃

hobbes

WKR
I carry a couple other calls but rarely use anything but a mouth call. I wouldn't be concerned if that's all I had. I wouldn't be happy if all I showed up with was a friction call, but it's because I have more confidence in mouth calls.

rclouse79

WKR
I am partial to my old box call I have had since college. I just picked up a diaphragm call yesterday for situations where I want to call but can't move. I need to put in some more practice time on the mouth call!

I suppose I’ll tack down a glass call. Any favorites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’ll join the Old Gobbler forum and take a look in the turkey call pot call classifieds section you’ll find all kinds of options. Most of your decent semi custom calls are going to be around $50 and up.

I mostly use a mouth call. I do have a semicustom glass call I use when it's windy. I should probably use it more when trying to strike birds up as the sharpness might set them off better?

I carry a couple mouth calls and my ceramic over glass pot call I put together. Sometimes they gobble at anything and sometimes only one vs the other. If I know he’s there I switch between mouth, glass, then ceramic to get him to respond.

I think versatility is the name of the game when it comes to gobblers. I prefer to carry a variety of calls in my arsenal: diaphragm, pot, and box calls. Some days birds prefer a different frequency, volume, and/or cadence. Using different calls simultaneously one can also mimic a flock of hens.

brerud2

FNG
Each year I find myself using a slate less and less. I have never owned a box call and never wished I had one with. There are times when I can't seem to get a response and maybe a box call would get one but I just keep moving and calling and eventually find birds to respond. I carry 3 mouth calls and 1 slate (sometimes).

OP
Whiskey_Fish
In my practice and prepnim finding I get much higher clearer notes on my pot call than on any of the diaphragms I have. Interested to see how they work side by side. I'll report back, leaving later today.

hikenhunt

WKR
Does anybody make mouth calls with a dome? I love the Phelps AMP calls but haven’t found anything quite similar yet, not sure why that is.

I have used the Primos sonic dome with great success. But like most, I also carry another type of call, usually a box call

Lots of good advice in the above posts.
You can kill turkeys consistently with mouth calls alone. Carry a few different types for versatility. Calling is important, yes, but it is only a part of the equation.
Good woodsmanship kills turkeys.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got slates, boxes, and mouth calls. I use them all. Responses to the different calls varies. If I had to pick one type only, it would be mouth calls. I have two mouth calls, cheaper hs strutt calls, that I use probably more than half the time.

My kids each took a bird over the weekend and I only used two mouth calls. I think I had three slates, three boxes, and a handful of mouth calls that never left the vest. Forgot, I also tried a gobble call for the first time over the weekend - more to entertain the kids than call a turkey.

OP
Whiskey_Fish
Well... I learned some things. One: don't leave a pot call in a sweaty pocket and not bring a conditioning method. Out of service after the first day.

Two: mouth call definitely suits me. Much easier to use while crawling after a turkey.

Three: spot and stalk is a lot of fun and more effective than calls when they're all flocked up. We went 1-2 on birds from.the same flock on our first day.

156ebaa60c975c866b8cd376affb38bd.jpg

along the same lines of this thread, i know one downside people consider with diaphragms is the lack of range vs other options, has anyone tried a bugle tube to get your calling to reach further? i was thinking my golden tone shorty would make a good turkey tube.... anyone try it? i have tried pot calls and box calls, and just like diaphragms best... i haven't found a good way to carry a box call without it being obnoxious.

OP
Whiskey_Fish
I was pretty bummed I hadn't thought about this and brought my mini Phelps tube with me. Would've been a cannon in the wind.