Mouth Call Building

dylaneh

FNG
I want to get into building my own calls. I do not really want to do this to sell them, but I just want to build them for myself. I have become rather good at calling with a mouth call and I have started to research all of the different ways the turkey mouth call can be made. The different stretches, reed material, reed thickness, number of reeds and cuts. I am going to attach a link to a starter pack i am thinking about getting. Do any of y’all have any experience with this or can you suggest something better to start with? I also am unsure of how you cut the reeds other than with scissors. I want to experiment with the ghost cut and not sure how I would do that with scissors. Any information would be appreciated.

OP
D

dylaneh

FNG
I want to get into building my own calls. I do not really want to do this to sell them, but I just want to build them for myself. I have become rather good at calling with a mouth call and I have started to research all of the different ways the turkey mouth call can be made. The different stretches, reed material, reed thickness, number of reeds and cuts. I am going to attach a link to a starter pack i am thinking about getting. Do any of y’all have any experience with this or can you suggest something better to start with? I also am unsure of how you cut the reeds other than with scissors. I want to experiment with the ghost cut and not sure how I would do that with scissors. Any information would be appreciated.

I know you can build them without a press, but I really want to have uniformity so I would like a press as well. So what do y’all use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
When I was a kid, I wanted to run a diaphragm but I couldn’t. Taught myself to yelp with my natural voice and never quit honing that skill. I can run a diaphragm better than your average bear, but my natural voice is all turkey. Keekee’s, purrs, whines, and soft yelps are way easier and more realistic with your natural voice than a diaphragm in my honest opinion.

It’s the subtle stuff that kills most birds. Excited yelping and cutting sells calls.

You’d be surprised how easy it is to master your natural voice. Would probably take you less time than learning to build your own diaphragms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
There’s a fellow on old gobbler by the handle daddyrat that makes the best diaphragm I’ve ever run.

If you’re serious about building your own, I’d talk to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
A good friend of mine builds calls for several companies, he has a press of course and an air powered cutter.

The cut's are pretty simple, good sharp scissors like a fly tying type scissor.

Wish I had more tips, I have watched him a lot but have no clue technically, he makes me a bunch every year.