is a spot II really the best satellite gps option for sending messages?

BuckSnort

WKR
I will be going with the delorme inreach as well, 120$ a year, text messages, also doubles as a gps. Iridium, the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.

Same here... I plan on buying one in the next couple weeks to give family and friends piece of mind on my solo trips..

I have the Spot 2. It tracks, sends out messages and gets a beacon emergency signal sent out in case of emergency. It will do the job it was designed to do.

As others have stated on the thread, and I share their sediments, getting a message back "in" to you is what it lacks. One in case family members want to make emergency contact to you which is very important to me. Getting some better emergency communication options and for better non emergency back and forth communication and getting confirmation that the message was understood correctly. If the Spot 2 had that two way option it would be awesome.

DeLorme inReach looks cool. It has has some better communication and it pairs with my Apple iOS. Ten text messages a month on the safety plan is reasonable and most helpful for some better communication. I'm not sure I'll make the upgrade yet though from my Spot 2. I think my next upgrade will be the Satellite phone or a hybrid type form still. I just like the voice better than text or at least want some more options.

With technology innovation happening almost faster than I can type this message, I don't think it is very far off where the price will come down being one of the strong points in the decision. This tool of the future will have all the options of the, Satellite phone, DeLorme inReach and Spot 2 all in one unit.

I've been curious about these as well. Apparently my wife is forcing me to buy one of these for my wilderness elk hunt coming up this year. Looks like each has its pros and cons.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the heck out of my Spot 2, no issues. Piece of mind for my wife, and it keeps me in the field longer, not having to come out to check in. It does what they say it will, everytime so far for me.

I wish they would come up with something hat would allow sending and receiving texts. SATPHONE is so pricey...I just want to send a short text and receive in case something is going on at home that I need to know.

They have a new spot that turns a smart phone into a sat phone for texts. If you want to haul all that stuff in it could be a option for you

TXCO

WKR
I bought the inreach this week and plan to be trying it out all month here in CO. A couple things that sold me were that it appeared to have 4.2x the power of a SPOT device (but 5x less than the naval PLB which doesnt do messages), went off the iridium network, and two way texts plus mapping. I plan to leave it in my truck during the off season just in case I ever break down in a place with no cell service so that I can text a friend or family for assistance. The various plans and low annual rate (SPOT is $100) were pretty nice as well.

Here is a review I found on a backcountry ski website- http://www.wildsnow.com/7796/inreach-delorme-review-reach/

swat8888

WKR
I had one of the newer iridium phones, the 9555, for my 10 day hunt. Was pleasantly surprised that I could quickly and easily send and receive texts...and they were free...at least for me on the phone rental.

G Posik

WKR
I am using the InReach. The 2 way text is great, the wife and kids can send me messages and I can check in to let them know everything is good.

Glenn

swat8888

WKR
I think I would consider the inreach more of a viable option if it were a standalone device. Don't like the idea of having to buy a specific GPS to use it with and I am not one that is going to be hauling my cell phone around with me in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully someone comes out with a texting only satellite device in the near future. I would definately be in the market for one as I don't see the need for expensive voice communications when two way text with some sort of emergency button to provide search and rescue with my coordinates would be good enough for me.

BuckSnort

WKR
I think I would consider the inreach more of a viable option if it were a standalone device. Don't like the idea of having to buy a specific GPS to use it with and I am not one that is going to be hauling my cell phone around with me in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully someone comes out with a texting only satellite device in the near future. I would definately be in the market for one as I don't see the need for expensive voice communications when two way text with some sort of emergency button to provide search and rescue with my coordinates would be good enough for me.

The InReach is a stand alone device should you choose not to pair it with a smart phone... I got one a couple months ago, I will write a review of it soon..

swat8888

WKR
True, it looks like you can use it in the same capacity as a SPOT. But you can only send pre-formed messages and it isn't capable two way communication without a GPS/Smartphone. Or did I miss something when I was doing my research on it?

BuckSnort

WKR
True, it looks like you can use it in the same capacity as a SPOT. But you can only send pre-formed messages and it isn't capable two way communication without a GPS/Smartphone. Or did I miss something when I was doing my research on it?

No, you didn't miss anything..You are correct... I'll write a short review soon but the bottom line is it works as advertised and is a good option if you don't want to spend the cash on a Sat phone...

rjs34

FNG
I have used the Spot 2 for a couple years and have been nothing but pleased with it. I use the tracking feature and my wife loves that she can log onto the computer at any point during the day and see where I am. I do a checkin/OK message every night when I get back to camp and am done hunting for the day. My custom message is "Buck Down!" so they know when I get an animal. Well worth the $150 a year.

bbrown

WKR
Bucksnort - sent you a PM. Curious how the In-reach has worked without the smartphone or gps. With X-mas coming up and the wife worrying about me while I am in the hills -one of these 2 would make a great present for us both. Thanks

R

red

I have a gen 1 spot, my wife has a gen 2, my mum and dad both have gen 2 spots..... They are great and work 99.99999% of the time. The odd time in heavy fog/rain/snow a message might take longer to get sent out but it's very rare. For $100 a year, it is well worth knowing everyone is alright in the bush or on the road traveling. The road side plan is also pretty good for $30 a year. I have added it to my wife's plan for here road trip home to Alberta. 75% of the trip there is no cell service.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Just got out of the backcountry, and once again the SPOT 2 worked without fail. I sent one message in heavy, heavy cloud cover.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
yeah at everyones recommendation here i bought the spot2 this year, my wife absolutely loves the fact that she can see where i am with the tracking feature, and i can send her one way messages to let her know im ok. i dont understand how it got such horrible reviews on consumer websites, it works exactly like it's supposed to.

and on my day hunts, she knows when to have supper ready lol, last night she noticed i was still 2 miles in, and with 20 minutes to spare before dark she noticed i was dropping down into a steep valley quickly (i was trying to cut off some cows before dark) and she said what an idiot, he'll be home late tonight.....and she was right lol