Is it worth it to go to a 0 degree SG Chilkoot bag?

Gotcha_

FNG
Had thought this same thing last year. got the 0 degree of a similar brand. I was out in 10 degrees before I knew it and happy as a clam, only problem was the sleeping pad which was not insulated enough. Going for the new Nemo Tensor extreme (8.3 R) and this will provide warmth combo at anything the mountain can throw. I'm looking fro the 5% situation that I'll be ok in and can hang out comfortably, not the 80% where 15 is prob ok.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I tend to only use my hunting down gear for hunting and try to be as gentle as possible with it, so hopefully the down longevity is not an issue with my SG

Most treated down sucks. SG’s does not. Rewarming drills can and are done in SG puffies and sleeping bags. It is the only down products that I do not worry at all about moisture- I treat it just like synthetics.

sneaky

"DADDY"
All treated down has a shelf life on the coating for the down. Sure, you can retreat it with aftermarket products but it'll never get back to what it was brand new. None of those water resistant down treatments last forever. The more you wash your bag, the shorter the effective span will be.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Most treated down sucks. SG’s does not. Rewarming drills can and are done in SG puffies and sleeping bags. It is the only down products that I do not worry at all about moisture- I treat it just like synthetics.

In a scenario like that rewarming drill, is it best to not have a base layer on at all so that it doesn't need to be dried out? If you do need a base layer because of ambient temps and want to be sure it dries out fastest if you get wet, what type is recommended? Straight synthetic super thin fleece? Thinnest possible synthetic merino blend? Those fishnet merino base layers?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
All treated down has a shelf life on the coating for the down. Sure, you can retreat it with aftermarket products but it'll never get back to what it was brand new. None of those water resistant down treatments last forever. The more you wash your bag, the shorter the effective span will be.

It has taken 6 years of 150-200 days a year of use, with zero attention given to dirt, mud, and water, and 7-8 washings for the original SG Grumman jacket I have to lose noticeable loft when soaked. In a down pour it will lose about 50% of loft now, but does dry out faster than untreated down still. It’s loft is still nearly identical to a brand new Grumman, with the only thing I can notice is that after being on n the stuff sack for several days the oldest one takes 5-10 minutes to fully loft up, and the brand new one takes 30sec to 1 minute to do so. This is primarily due to dirt and oil I suspect. The old one hasn’t been washed in 3-4 years.

Gold on left is brand new, grey on right is 6 years old and heavily used-

IMG_6446.jpeg

The base point I was trying to make is the SG treated down performs where others I have used is no better than high quality natural down.
I will start a new thread about synthetic versus SG down to not detail this further as I have gotten a lot of questions.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In a scenario like that rewarming drill, is it best to not have a base layer on at all so that it doesn't need to be dried out? If you do need a base layer because of ambient temps and want to be sure it dries out fastest if you get wet, what type is recommended? Straight synthetic super thin fleece? Thinnest possible synthetic merino blend? Those fishnet merino base layers?

Well, if you don’t wear a base layer or clothing, you don’t need to reward- strip, wipe water off and go. The rewarming drill is specifically to dry out your clothes. In that case in order of dry times quickest to slowest-

1). Synthetic fishnet

2 and 3). Wool fishnet and thin normal synthetic

4). Extremely thin merino/synthetic hybrid

5). Thin 100% wool

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It has taken 6 years of 150-200 days a year of use, with zero attention given to dirt, mud, and water, and 7-8 washings for the original SG Grumman jacket I have to lose noticeable loft when soaked. In a down pour it will lose about 50% of loft now, but does dry out faster than untreated down still. It’s loft is still nearly identical to a brand new Grumman, with the only thing I can notice is that after being on n the stuff sack for several days the oldest one takes 5-10 minutes to fully loft up, and the brand new one takes 30sec to 1 minute to do so. This is primarily due to dirt and oil I suspect. The old one hasn’t been washed in 3-4 years.

Gold on left is brand new, grey on right is 6 years old and heavily used-

View attachment 672533

The base point I was trying to make is the SG treated down performs where others I have used is no better than high quality natural down.
I will start a new thread about synthetic versus SG down to not detail this further as I have gotten a lot of questions.
I won’t sit here a pretend like I’m an expert and have tried every brand out there, but I own a SG Grumman and SG Bag and have asked a lot out of them and they have done nothing but exceed my expectations! I wear my Grumman while hunting and skiing in snow/rain/hail and I’ve yet to get cold.

Again I’m no expert, but I truly believe that SG has the best or at least equal to the best down products on the market. I love them.

Nothing but praise from me.

My SG Chilkoot 15 is far too warm most of the time, to the point I sweat and have to try and prop it up and flip over during the day so the bottom hopefully dries a bit while I’m away in the daylight.
One of the hidden benefits of SG down shell materials is the high wind resistance and how much heat that helps retain.
I can’t describe how cold 20 something degrees in a creek bottom is when there is a big down draft pushing air under the tipi sides. I never feel it but my friends freeze with all their clothes on in non SG but equivalent warmth rated bags.
The other big feature on SG bags is two fold on sizing. It’s luxuriously big, I’m a big broad shouldered guy, and the differential baffle cut means if I do push on a side I don’t compress the down because the inside is smaller than the outside.
Very impressed with my bag but I can’t think of too many scenarios needing a zero. If it’s that cold you will have clothes on anyway so it’s not such a shock to get dressed.

I find the SG ratings to be fairly accurate. I rock the 15 degree bag all rifle season in MT. I’m already packing puffy pants and a jacket during rifle season so I can throw those on if need be. Can always throw a hot Nalgene at the bottom of the bag or use a body heating pad. Will be getting the quilt as I find the bag too warm for most of archery.

If your smaller in height, I’d recommend looking at the Western Mountaineering bags as the cut on the SG accommodates up to 6’5. That’s a lot of dead space for a smaller person. A bag tailored to your height will help you stay warmer, less weight and better packability.

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
I just bought a 0 degree. Everyone praising these bags makes me happy with my choice. Hearing everyone's feedback makes me wish they would come out with a 30-35 degree bag to be a good in between. I'm just not a quilt guy but I'd buy that bag if one was available...