Is Rawlins WY the 'nicest' place to stay in Red Desert, WY?

Jimss

WKR
I would definitely keep your eye on the weather and also the historic drought, winterkill, disease, etc that is currently affecting antelope in Wyo. There is reason tag quotas are being cut in so many units across Wyo.

As Laramie mentioned in his post just because units take high pts to draw doesn’t mean squat. I know it is sometimes tough to apply for units that take fewer pts but I know some middle tier units where quality bucks are currently way, way better than units that take close to max pts to draw.

Obviously it’s nice hunting premium units that offer few tags with gobs of public land but disappointing if you draw a premier tag and quality of bucks is lacking the particular year you draw. Local intell and knowledge is often extremely helpful! If you are super lucky you draw a premium unit in a year where all the stars align…which in recent years is few and far between.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
For area 57… If by “nicest” you mean “only” then… Yes! I hate even looking at Rawlins on the drive by. Conjures memories of living in my spring bar tent one winter. -30° before wind chill 🤮. Anyway, you are there to hunt and I presume so is your wife so who cares if it’s not Jackson Hole.
Area 58 either Rock Springs (also has a Sportsman’s Warehouse) or Rawlins.
Area 114 I don’t know if you’d be near Thermopolis but that would be a decent option. Worland isn’t bad either.
Area 67 definitely Lander

Haha love the comments man. We stayed in Riverton when we hunted 67 and it was decent enough for a group of guys. Had a guy walk into our hotel room and crawl into bed with a buddy in the middle of the night. Guy was probably 6'6 and 300lbs of drunken dude. That made for an interesting encounter at 2am.

Agreed though. It's a hunting trip first. Terrain and country to hunt is always a consideration, and regardless down that way should be a fun adventure looking at hundreds and hundreds of bucks to find the right one!

I love the I-80 corridor. For one thing I like messing around out in the desert hunting dogs and just exploring. Probably my favorite thing is how desolate and unappealing it is to many people. The bulk of folks drive through on I-80 and assume that’s what Wyoming is. Tell your friends, Wyoming sucks. Nothing to see here folks.
😉

Max points I would be going Special License and put in for 60

Not 100% even with max points though

This right here. I drew that unit 60 tag two years ago. Only thing I would change about it is I wouldn’t of took my rifle out the first day. Filled my tag 5-6 hours into the the hunt, wish I could go back and just spend a few days looking around.

I drew the 1 tag in the special random that year.

Hey All,

Looking at burning a buttload of points this year for my wife's antelope hunt. After border closures delayed our planning the past couple, we finally figured it was time to draw this year.

Looking at 61, 57, 58, 67, and up into 114.

Kinda looking at options to draw a 'high point' unit but also stay in a place thats half decent and can allow for an enjoyable hunt/getaway. We have 2 kids and going to leave them in Canada while we hunt hard for a week. Still, nice to have a comfortable place to stay, decent scenery, maybe even some fishing nearby.

Rawlins seems to be the biggest, but just thought I'd see what the comments were on the options. I do like the idea of 114 given the low tag numbers, and realize regardless of where we draw it will be a hard search finding the 'right' buck, but the secondary part of the hunt planning is just as important. For me, I'd stay on a two-track in the box of my truck, but nice to find somewhere thats enjoyable to get away for a bit with my wife so thought I'd ask comments. I've stayed in Riverton WY when we hunted 67 on a guys trip in the past, but looking at best options or spots that a guy may have overlooked or didnt cross my mind.

Any comments welcome as we roll into 2022 and the planning that goes with it!
What unit did you draw?

JLW66

FNG
This thread is cracking me up. I had a guy from work ask me where to stay in Rawlins. I said the same thing you guys said, well, if you were a guy.........then this will work. But your wife isnt going to like it. They have the Holiday Inn Express and a couple of choices just off the Interstate exit. I hunted antelope two years ago up by Bairoil and Jeffrey City, Unit #68. Now this fall I will be in Unit 20, I must have made a typo, but hell, I am going to be in Wyoming this fall and thats a good thing. Good Luck this fall to you guys.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
Ironically we ended up drawing in 58 and going to camp for the most part. If we need a place to stay, we'll stay in Rock Springs for a night before heading back out. Hopefully weather is decent and we can camp in the unit for the most part though!

I laugh at people who live anywhere along I-80 in Wyoming call another town anywhere in Wyoming a dump. The entire route from east to west around I-80 in Wyoming is basically a dump. The ladies aren’t going to like any of it I’m afraid? The hunting is a lot of fun though

BigDog00

WKR
I laugh at people who live anywhere along I-80 in Wyoming call another town anywhere in Wyoming a dump. The entire route from east to west around I-80 in Wyoming is basically a dump. The ladies aren’t going to like any of it I’m afraid? The hunting is a lot of fun though
Thankfully you don't live here!

I appreciate this comment. Wyoming doesn’t actually exist! The people who have only traveled through WY on I-80 are only driving across northern Colorado 😂 . There is nowhere else worthwhile for anyone else to ever come see in WY. Stop pretending there is anything cool north of I-80. Stay away not worth it. Haha

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
Hey, went really well. I'll write up a bit of a short story as I posted it on a couple sites already.

Wife killed a really heavy buck on day 2. We passed a handful of bucks that were some real tempting ones on day 1.

Attachments

• 20220930_134435(0).jpg
    20220930_134435(0).jpg
    284 KB · Views: 72