Is the 6.5 PRC here to stay?

OutdoorAg

WKR
Is this the 6.5 that everyone really wanted when they fell in love with the 6.5 Creed?

I have a 6.5 barrel blank that I'm trying to decide what to do with.

PRC, or another Creed.

I already have all the loading stuff for the Creed - great dies, great process, etc.

And I've been down the velocity chasing road in the past.

Thoughts? PRC here to stay? Going to be more widely loved as components get easier (aka brass)?

The prc isn't going anywhere. It's a step up from the creed. Component availability is tough for everything right now. Just a matter of if you want to push thr same bullet faster with a slightly larger case

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

axeforce6

WKR
I strongly believe so. Look at all of the manufacturers chambering for it. More companies are creating factory ammo. They do extensive research before they tool for a new round. Hornady, federal, Remington, Norma, Winchester, Nosler all make factory ammo for it. I could be missing out on a few even.

huntnful

WKR
Yeah, it's not going anywhere. It's a sweet little cartridge and components already have pretty good support from premium brass and die manufacturers. I bought one just to test out the cartridge, and liked it so much I'm having a custom built now. The PRC's are everywhere and definitely taking over the creed for hunting from what I can tell.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lapua is making brass for it so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

I’d like one so I can do what a 24” creedmoor can do in an 18” suppressed package.

I won’t but though till components become more available

huntnful

WKR
Lapua is making brass for it so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

I’d like one so I can do what a 24” creedmoor can do in an 18” suppressed package.

I won’t but though till components become more available
Exactly. I built a 20" and it's still superior to a 26" creed. 124 Hammer Hunters at 3250fps.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess money will dictate if it stays or goes but if I had to guess, it will be staying. And I for one would be happy with that......its a great cartridge.

Randy

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Thanks. Will give me some things to think about. Mostly, if its worth chasing 200FPS for the increased cost of entry in the current and future markets. Brass availability may change, but prices wont go down...

Currently reload for the 7-08, 6.5Creed, and 22Creed. So the PRC would have a bit of a niche spot in my line-up.

I agree if Lapua is making brass- it is likely to remain. It is a great all around cartridge especially with the Berger 156 EOL as an elk bullet, and the smaller buillets for deer etc.

I am @3040 FPS with my 156 EOL. Load developement is done and need to verify dope and true up kestrel.

I found 100pcs of Lapua brass last year. I signed up for more at 2 different sites, and both shipped this week. So the brass is coming. I now have 300 pcs. No none for sale.

huntnful

WKR
Wow. I get sticky at 3100+ with a 127 LRX and 22” bbl
The hammer generally go faster than most bullets in their same weight class because only really half of the bearing surface touches the bore. Also it's something to do with that power and the 210M. I called them before load development and they said they just figured out that the 215M's were showing early pressure signs.
WOW- must be using a caldwell chrono
:)
Hahaha, it's a Labradar. I got it up to 3370 actually, but it was hard bolt lift and cost me a couple primer pockets. In general though, 15 grains of bullet adds or subtracts 100FPS. So it's no different that your 156's at 3040. It's an efficient cartridge for sure. So extra barrel length isn't adding a ton of velocity.

Thanks. Will give me some things to think about. Mostly, if its worth chasing 200FPS for the increased cost of entry in the current and future markets. Brass availability may change, but prices wont go down...

Currently reload for the 7-08, 6.5Creed, and 22Creed. So the PRC would have a bit of a niche spot in my line-up.

Depends on what you want.

My two 6.5 CMs hit 1800 fps at 800 yards and my 6.5 PRC hits 1800 fps at 1100 yards. Having an additional 300 yards of effective distance is nothing to shake a stick at.

SDHNTR

WKR
The hammer generally go faster than most bullets in their same weight class because only really half of the bearing surface touches the bore. Also it's something to do with that power and the 210M. I called them before load development and they said they just figured out that the 215M's were showing early pressure signs.

Hahaha, it's a Labradar. I got it up to 3370 actually, but it was hard bolt lift and cost me a couple primer pockets. In general though, 15 grains of bullet adds or subtracts 100FPS. So it's no different that your 156's at 3040. It's an efficient cartridge for sure. So extra barrel length isn't adding a ton of velocity.
Hammer said that about standard primers over magnum primers? Interesting. That seems to be a flip flop. I thought they recommended mag primers always.