is there still demand for SLC 10x42? are they still relevant?

OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with Swarovski USA Customer Service - they will continue servicing SLCs.

Was also able to confirm that the rumor about SLCs being re=badged under the Kahles Brand is still just a rumor. There is industry and internet chatter about an SLC replacement but that is all, nothing confirmed.

Kahles repair - also confirmed directly with Swarovski USA = they do not service Kahles, and that Kahles products sent to them are forwarded to Europe (not Japan) for warranty or other repair work.
Sorry sir you are mistaken. Check Europe kahles website. They have Posted the new binocular models already. And regarding the rangefinder products I spoke to Customer Service and I was told all of the rangefinder products not the binoculars just a handheld rangefinders are made in Japan.

Vossman5

FNG
I just picked up a set of slc 8x30 and debate keeping them. For what I use them for, and how often my old leupold Yosemite 10x30 work fine. I've done a little comparison but not very detailed yet.

Last edited:
Sorry sir you are mistaken. Check Europe kahles website. They have Posted the new binocular models already. And regarding the rangefinder products I spoke to Customer Service and I was told all of the rangefinder products not the binoculars just a handheld rangefinders are made in Japan.
Wasn’t participating in the conversation about where anything is made, but it is clear from both Kahles published information and further confirmed by Swarovski USA that Kahles products are serviced / repaired in Europe. Believe Doug from Cameraland also mentioned this in a previous post somewhere.

Rep also explained that until a new product actually comes to market, they are still a rumor. However, I will agree with you that if Kahles produces the planned new Helia S and it adheres to the proposed specifications listed on the website, then it will pretty much be a re-branded SLC. In any case, even if you could buy one, being that it is a Kahles product, Swarovski USA would still forward it to Europe for service/repair while an existing SLC would be serviced by Swarovski USA.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
So it's on Kahles website ( which everyone already knew who was following the SLC's) BUT it's still a rumor.......got it (SMH).

So it's on Kahles website ( which everyone already knew who was following the SLC's) BUT it's still a rumor.......got it (SMH).
Yes, there is a pre-production binocular listed on the Kahles website that appears to match the physical form of the SLC. The new Helia S is rumored to be a re-branded SLC. Whether it will actually be the exact same binocular when it goes to market (same components, glass, coatings, etc) with only cosmetic changes and truly an SLC just rebadged from Swarovski to Kahles is yet to be seen and still unconfirmed.

JGRaider

WKR
When you're that hard headed and short sighted, it's not even worth discussing with you. It was confirmed by european dealers on birdforum over a month ago. Accept the fact you have no idea what you're talking about on this subject and deal with it. The only question remaining is whether the Kahles model will be available in the US.

When you're that hard headed and short sighted, it's not even worth discussing with you. It was confirmed by european dealers on birdforum over a month ago. Accept the fact you have no idea what you're talking about on this subject and deal with it. The only question remaining is whether the Kahles model will be available in the US.
If you are attempting to suggest I was unaware of Kahles preparing to bring the Helia S to market, that’s just plain absurd. My earlier 20 May 7:03pm post in this thread clearly shows that’s not true. Have been following the SLC and Kahles discussions and other optics news here and across multiple sources fairly closely and broadly (including birding forums). There is a lot of chatter and speculation about the new Kahles. But never saw an answer to the most fundamental question - will the new Kahles be the exact same SLC binocular with only cosmetic and no component changes (while that has been widely assumed I’ve yet to see that verified anywhere)? It isn’t at all rare for pre-production specs to not exactly match the production model, or for rebranding to involve additional changes. So, instead of just re-reading internet threads and speculative marketing articles (or just taking some poster’s word for it) I did some research and also asked Swarovski reps some questions directly.

Some unsubstantiated claims posted in Kahles Helia S or SLC Threads:
  1. Claim: Kahles Products sold in USA are serviced by Swarovski USA. According to Swarovski USA Customer Service — customers ship Kahles products to Swarovski USA, who then forward them to Europe for Service.
  2. Claim: Swarovski SLC 42mm uses Abbe-Koenig Prisms. The 42mm SLC uses a standard Schmidt-Pechan Roof Prism.
  3. Claim: New Kahles Helia S will be available in USA or available for import into the USA. Information available so far indicates this product is targeted specifically for the European Market. Further, there are licensing agreements and Swaro/Kahles Polices defining where a product is sold and where it can be delivered/shipped. Any USA dealer or Swarovski/Kahles rep would caution about buying “grey market” products. Finally, the new Helia S is not currently being marketed, advertised, or pre-orders offered by any big USA Kahles dealers such as CameralandNY, B&H, Eurooptic, etc.
  4. The biggest question almost never asked: Is the new Kahles Helia S actually a rebadged Swarovski SLC with only cosmetic and no component changes? According to the Swarovski rep = although that is widely assumed and lots of web chatter declaring it, that currently remains unconfirmed...and will remain so until the binocular actually comes to market.
If any of the above is incorrect (don’t believe it is), sure, my bad - I’ll own that. But by professional habit I’m inclined to look under the hood. Will the new Helia be a true SLC clone? Maybe, or will it be an SLC look-alike glass with some Kahles changed components/coatings? We won’t know for certain until it comes to market and is professionally reviewed. Off the top of my head there are a few cross-brand inconsistencies and questions I would like to ask of someone with actual Insider Knowledge of the Helia S production or a professional reviewer when the time comes:
  • Does the Kahles use the exact same HD high-fluoride glass as the SLC?
  • Are there any other optics component, manufacturing or QA changes?
  • SWAROBRIGHT dielectric prism coatings are specifically Trademarked to the Swarovski brand - what is Kahles using? How does that impact the image? Same question for all other Swarovski TM coatings used in the SLC:
    • SWARODUR TM internal lens coatings
    • SWAROTOP TM external lens coatings
    • SWAROCLEAN TM protective lens coatings

Coming all the way back to the initial point of this entire thread - Are the SLCs (or their new Kahles body-double) still relevant? Not really as a new purchase option for USA customers. Personally, I’m far and away more interested in what will be coming to the USA market over the next few years to fill the void left by the newly discontinued SLCs. The door is wide open

Last edited:

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Usually Kahles binoculars and range finders are made in Japan.

The New Kahles S 42 are the Swaro SLC just made by Kahles now. I heard you cannot get them in the US but i spoke to Optics Trade who has them on their website and said they would have no issues shipping it to us consumers in the US. They are made in Austria.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
In the spirit of this discussion, I DISAGREE!!

There is also the question of how much they will cost.

They are around the same price as the SLC's were. $1400-$1500. Spoke to optics trade and said they could ship them to the US. I also work in international trade and was worried about the duty price. I checked and they are duty free. Scopes on the other hand are not duty free so my S&B i have on order with them will have to pay Duty on that when it arrives.

Sled

WKR
They are around the same price as the SLC's were. $1400-$1500. Spoke to optics trade and said they could ship them to the US. I also work in international trade and was worried about the duty price. I checked and they are duty free. Scopes on the other hand are not duty free so my S&B i have on order with them will have to pay Duty on that when it arrives.

Good to hear. I'd be excited to get a set in the near future if I don't pick up some used SLC's in the meantime.

Sled

WKR
I have some for sale in the classifieds right now, 2018 pair of 10x42.
Thanks, I saw those but am looking for a little bit less. I've watched some killer deals come through the classifieds but have always been just a couple minutes behind.

rm06

WKR
Love my SLCs. I'm not going to let myself look at another pair of binos for many, many more years.

I'm here. Of course I say that...

My hunting partner has 12x56 ELs, they're great but I just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze, especially off a tripod. I use my SLCs for everything, he switches back and forth between a set of 8x42s so he's into bino glass at far more than double my investment.

dkime

WKR
I've been chewing on this for awhile, I've done product releases for a few companies in the past and this SLC move seems confusing to me. I love my SLCs, what I see happening is the NLs cannibalizing's more EL sales than anything. At this point in history I am wondering what is going to happen to the EL market rather than the SLC's. For the money, the SLC's are damn hard to beat and for the money of the EL's you may as well own the NL's?

Sled

WKR
I've been chewing on this for awhile, I've done product releases for a few companies in the past and this SLC move seems confusing to me. I love my SLCs, what I see happening is the NLs cannibalizing's more EL sales than anything. At this point in history I am wondering what is going to happen to the EL market rather than the SLC's. For the money, the SLC's are damn hard to beat and for the money of the EL's you may as well own the NL's?

I agree. Should have kept the slc and ditched the EL. That is if they had to lose one. The NLs are nice but to my eye it's not enough of a bump from the EL to warrant selling and upgrading. Now, the ergonomics are great and appreciable compated to a bulky EL. Once they hit the used market at good value then I might pick up a set. Until then, there sure are a lot of nice binos for a lot less.

i agree, but maybe their figures in current sales dictated the decision.... things aren't always as they seem... moving them to kahles may have not been a feasible option for the EL either.... whatever led to the decision was a decision made on what would be most beneficial to the company, and i'm sure it wasn't a random guess.

i do agree though, it seems like losing the SLC is losing a pretty big customer base.... but again, maybe i'm completely wrong, i'm sure their sales figures tell the story.

archp625

WKR
i agree, but maybe their figures in current sales dictated the decision.... things aren't always as they seem... moving them to kahles may have not been a feasible option for the EL either.... whatever led to the decision was a decision made on what would be most beneficial to the company, and i'm sure it wasn't a random guess.

i do agree though, it seems like losing the SLC is losing a pretty big customer base.... but again, maybe i'm completely wrong, i'm sure their sales figures tell the story.
Makes you wonder if they will come out with 10 x 42's in the CL line. The EL slides into the SLC line then they have the NL at the top of the line.