Is there still value left to be had in AK?

I was lucky enough to do a drop camp for caribou back in 2017 and at the time it was a stretch financially but incredible and well worth it, even though the caribou missed us and we come home empty. That being said I’ve been keen to get back and financially much more flexible then previously but I’m having heartburn on the % increase. So I thought I’d pivot to AK goats as I remember it had felt like a value, those days seem to have gone. Is there any value hunts left? I’d prefer DIY but options are limited in AK. I hunt a fair amount in the west and just looking to get back north. Am I missing anything, where are the Costco versions of hunting opportunities?!?
Thanks in advance and if folks want to pm with any suggestions or hints, it would be appreciated.
Cheers

OP
Sierra Hunter
Adak caribou, SE black bear, haul road caribou, POW Sitka blacktail/fishing.
Probably several others as well.
I remember seeing the last one and I think even some duck mixed in there a few years ago. I’ll take a peak

z987k

WKR
I remember seeing the last one and I think even some duck mixed in there a few years ago. I’ll take a peak
I think adak has waterfowl in there to.

PWS and Kodiak Blacktail/Brown bear/Fishing.

Or read the reg book well, figure out a unit and just use a 135 transporter to put you in there. Complete DIY, you're just paying for the plane to move you and nothing else.

The super high price stuff is for guys that need everything spoon fed to them.

Antares

WKR
I think adak has waterfowl in there to.

PWS and Kodiak Blacktail/Brown bear/Fishing.

Or read the reg book well, figure out a unit and just use a 135 transporter to put you in there. Complete DIY, you're just paying for the plane to move you and nothing else.

The super high price stuff is for guys that need everything spoon fed to them.

There’s nothing cheap about NR Kodiak brown bear.

z987k

WKR
There’s nothing cheap about NR Kodiak brown bear.
There's really nothing reasonable about NR hunting period. But ya, Brownies are expensive. Maybe leave that out. Still pretty good deal to boat hunt blacktail and fish. At least for a resident. Maybe with a locking tag for each blacktail it'd suck.

BLJ

WKR
Any idea what a NR blacktail/fishing trip would run? Ballpark? Thanks.

z987k

WKR
Any idea what a NR blacktail/fishing trip would run? Ballpark? Thanks.
Somewhere from 2500-5000 for the week depending on truly DIY or guided. Plus tags, tickets to ANC/ADQ, etc.

Probably cheaper out of whittier than kodiak. Black bear's on the table in PWS, I don't know how the fishing is that late.

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
Somewhere from 2500-5000 for the week depending on truly DIY or guided. Plus tags, tickets to ANC/ADQ, etc.

Probably cheaper out of whittier than kodiak. Black bear's on the table in PWS, I don't know how the fishing is that late.
Thanks. Always thought that would be a good trip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For a long time I’ve wanted to do SE black bear and fly fish for steelhead. Realize I’m in AK already but other than your tickets up here it wouldn’t be any more expensive for you than it is for me. A few flights, some supplies, withers a boat charter or a short flight and a night or 2 in hotels on each end.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
For a long time I’ve wanted to do SE black bear and fly fish for steelhead. Realize I’m in AK already but other than your tickets up here it wouldn’t be any more expensive for you than it is for me. A few flights, some supplies, withers a boat charter or a short flight and a night or 2 in hotels on each end.
Yeah, most people don’t realize the logistics and expense to hunt within the state. For me to come up by you and do a moose or caribou hunt is expensive, and same for you to come down here. (Pow here)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, most people don’t realize the logistics and expense to hunt within the state. For me to come up by you and do a moose or caribou hunt is expensive, and same for you to come down here. (Pow here)
I guess, I went on a trip down there last summer, used my AK air miles to fly down, hotels were ~400 bucks and the bush flight was 675.00 so really it wasn't too bad at all, very managable financially, time being the biggest challenge.

BLJ

WKR
What @Glory said where my exact thoughts after reading what @thinhorn_AK said. I never thought about it like that. Probably a lot of same issues logistically for the both of us.

slick

WKR
Split some of those costs between another person and it makes it much more palatable.

Fatcamp

WKR
We had a great time on a remote float, no hunting involved.
somethings in life take some work and some saving up for, but they are the ones that are worth if.

I think this is an excellent idea.

Even just renting a car and driving around fishing sounds like fun.

Movi

FNG
Yes. There are about a half dozen moose transporters and about 3 caribou transporters ever mentioned on this site. That’s a very good thing for people willing to put in the work. There are nearly 150 licensed big game transporters in AK.

This right here. Between air taxi and transporters there’s a lot of options