Is this orange vest legal?

Just bought one of these because at the clearance price, I figure I couldn't go wrong for a real down vest. Was hoping it would be orange enough to be legal, but I am not sure after seeing it in person. I think it's still "orange" but not sure if the GW will see it that way or not. What do you think?

The picture below is pretty accurate, color-wise.

most "orange" specified in state to state regs has a moniker like "sunlight" or generic like Fluorescent - that shown is neither nor anything like I've ever seen worn in CO, WY, OR ...etc I'd say NO
I'd think at 200+ yards it would look like BROWN

It doesn’t look bright enough to me.

My experience is that unless it is a truly bright orange, it actually looks more brown in low light, almost the same color as a deer, and therefore is more dangerous than if you were wearing camo.

I have a hoodie that is significantly brighter than that but still less bright that the real orange, and I stopped wearing it for this reason.

I carry a couple cheap orange vests from amazon, and an orange hat. For just a few $ you could buy one, or even look at one in a local Cabela's etc. to compare directly with what you have.

I'd lean on the side of caution and say no. But if a game warden is giving you grief over your shade of orange, you've already messed up something else really bad.....

OP
Newtosavage
I'd lean on the side of caution and say no. But if a game warden is giving you grief over your shade of orange, you've already messed up something else really bad.....
That's kinda what I think.

I have plenty of orange to compare it to. Some is pretty close to this, some is brighter. Honestly, of the 10 or so "hunter orange" hats, vests and shirts I have, this isn't that far off from about half of them.

I get what some say about looking brown though. I'll hang it up at a distance as the light fades and see how it looks before I decide. I do like the construction. It's going to be a good buy no matter whether I wear it hunting or not.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Legal, not sure. But regardless, the concept is to have yourself highly visible so you don't get shot by some idiot. Burnt orange blends with fall foliage, whereas fluorescent orange pops out.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
nice vest. Think I would want clarification from the state. But for me it is not bright enough.

Jbehredt

WKR

Funny you’d say that. In my decades of hunting and multiple basic license/empty chamber checks the biggest issue we’ve had with a warden has been my buddy being asked if he had a brighter vest to replace his burnt orange fleece. He knew it wasn’t bright enough and was carrying a cheap blaze orange alternative just in case. We’ve also been reminded to sign licenses a couple times.

not necessarily so - couple years ago in CO had a warden talk to me, explain the "law" and tell me if he saw me wearing the fluorescent orange CAMO coat again he'd write me …. in CO every ridge top as far as you can see looks like a PUMPKIN PATCH