Issues with hiring a plumber

basket8

FNG
Im not sure if im just naive to the plumbing industry or if im getting screwed by a plumber I just hired. I hired a plumber to hook up 3 new vanities in a house im remodeling. I probably could have done this myself but time is running out and there were some unusual things I wanted a professional to handle ( replaced a single sink vanity with double sink, and a couple other things).

Anyway, the total bill ended up being $1800. $1000 in labor, and nearly $800 in materials. I went in the house to check the work and 3 lights were left on, piss was left in the toilet along with a dip. mud and dirt all over my brand new floors... All that aside my invoice only read "materials" with none of the parts listed out. I asked the plumber for an itemized list of parts or receipts and he replied they dont do that and that parts are marked up.

Am I out of line for asking for at least an itemized list or receipts or is that just how the plumbing business operates? Overall I was not expecting what I thought would be a relatively simple job to cost so much.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Sounds like you need a different plumber. How long did it take him to do the job, $$$$/hour can get real pricey depending where you live. When I retired from the A/C industry 15 years ago. we were At $125/hour, and that was for customers we had on monthly contract. The mess they left behind is something I would have taken pictures of and made complaint to company higher ups, unless this was some jackleg plumber. At this point there may not be anything you can do aside from bad mouthing the guy. I see you are in Wyoming, so a good bad nothing could hurt is future work.

svivian

WKR
I usually do work myself but was in a similar situation. Called 4 different outfits and got quotes from $250 to almost $1000. No rhyme or reason it seems in that industry at least to me.

fwafwow

WKR
7syj97.jpg

I think when you tell people to get to work without getting a quote it's sort of like writing a blank check. Unscrupulous contractors will take advantage.

At this point you could still demand an itemized list of materials. The work is done and you haven't paid anything, so he has some incentive to oblige you.

woods89

WKR
I don't think the bill is as far out of line as you think. I do get itemized lists from my plumber. I would, however, question just what you are going to do with an itemized list if the work had been completed and billed?

The mess he left behind is an issue. I'm a remodeling contractor who is probably known as being on the expensive side, and I will say, if you are going to charge good money for your services, you need to provide good value to your customers. For us, that means good communication and documentation, and keeping sites really clean, among other things.

Honestly, the trades are a mess right now, and until people quit telling every kid to go to college, and that the trades are a second tier option, it's not going to change.

Drenalin

WKR
Did he give you a price up front, or do the work on a time and materials basis? If the former, he's not obligated to show you anything - the price is the price. If the latter, you can and should ask for receipts - but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are unobtanium. Did he purchase the new fixtures, or is that $800 supposed to be for pipe and fittings?

It's not just the plumbing business; all trades are covered up and can pretty much do and charge what they want right now, based on what I see on the commercial side. Don't like it? Good luck finding someone else. That seems to be the attitude.

R.a8c54d4977522624a50988bebf7453cc

This of course isn't apples to apples but from someone who used to be in a trade business I always find it comical when these threads pop up on here. Did you get a quote or estimate for the job prior? if not that is on you, you're paying for a service that you didn't have the knowledge or time to do yourself so said contractor can charge whatever they want. The mess left behind is unacceptable & should be addressed but most good contractors will leave the job site as clean as they found it, if not cleaner but like anything there always a few slobs out there.
Like others have stated the trade industry is having a hard time filling positions, so good, dependent hard-working people are fetching top dollar, which in return falls on you the customers bill. Majority of the small shops at least in my area are closing their doors because the old timer is now in his late 60s-early 70s and has had enough. So now you're left with bigger shops who have more work than they know what do with so they can literally charge whatever the h$ll they want.

WCB

WKR
Define what "hook up" the vanity means. Was everything there and for permit purposes you literally needed the plumber to "hook up" or did he need to actually run and install fittings etc.

I know my FIL did 99% of the wiring plumbing in his new cabin build etc but due to code he needed a licensed electrician and plumber to "connect" the utilities. cost a couple hundred bucks per and he bought them lunch. If you bought the vanities and know the situation before he came to :hook up" you should have a pretty good idea how much material is needed.

Define what "hook up" the vanity means. Was everything there and for permit purposes you literally needed the plumber to "hook up" or did he need to actually run and install fittings etc.

That was my first question as well.

i’m probably gonna generate some heat and draw some flack for the following comment, which is, of course meant to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek.
I respect everyone who works for a living. That being said.

Evolutionary ladder of the trades:

electrician (of course I would believe this… I am an electrician)
good plumber
finish carpenter / Cabinet maker
tile setter
framer
flooring installer

Often must bail the crew out of jail to do a job:
sheet rockers
roofers
Painters

bad plumber: Destroys all the work of the other trades just to put his pipes in. Leaves a mess everywhere leaves empty sardine cans under the sink. Has terrible farts. Charges too much on top of it all

OP
basket8

basket8

FNG

I know my FIL did 99% of the wiring plumbing in his new cabin build etc but due to code he needed a licensed electrician and plumber to "connect" the utilities. cost a couple hundred bucks per and he bought them lunch. If you bought the vanities and know the situation before he came to :hook up" you should have a pretty good idea how much material is needed.
I tore out old vanities, put in new floors and bought new vanities. I placed the vanities in the bathrooms (2 of the 3 did not "match up" with previous fittings and one of them was a double sink going in where there had previously been a single sink). I had the new faucets sitting on top of the vanities and also had bought a P trap for one of the sinks. since making the original post the plumber has sent me an updated invoice which included a 40% mark up for the materials he had to purchase. I guess I was just naive to the fact that it requires ~$600 in materials (plus 40% mark up) to run the fittings to match new set ups.

OP
basket8

basket8

FNG
Sounds like you need a different plumber. How long did it take him to do the job, $$$$/hour can get real pricey depending where you live. When I retired from the A/C industry 15 years ago. we were At $125/hour, and that was for customers we had on monthly contract. The mess they left behind is something I would have taken pictures of and made complaint to company higher ups, unless this was some jackleg plumber. At this point there may not be anything you can do aside from bad mouthing the guy. I see you are in Wyoming, so a good bad nothing could hurt is future work.
It took him (plus helper) 8 hours.

Sounds like someone has "ACRACKNOPHOBIA" - defined as unwarranted fear of excessive Butt Cleavage

roymunson

WKR
you can ask for an itemized bill. I get frustrated when I see a huge job invoice that says "labor- - $2500"

No rate or number of hours. Show your work and how you got to that number.

$1000 for a full 8 hour day with a helper isn't terrible. but sometimes, you paying him to train his helper is BS as well

$125/hr for a plumber and helper is reasonable, if not low.

The mess is a problem, but sadly not uncommon.

If you wanted materials line itemed with receipts, you should have stated that beforehand. That said, I and everyone else I know in the construction industry would have told you no. When I do time and materials invoices I make a rough outline of what materials I purchased and a total. Never had a complaint about it.