Issues with hiring a plumber

Im going to say this and be done. Most have zero idea what it takes to be a tradesman. And, even fewer know what it’s like to run a business in the trades.

I’m not going to complain about the labor force. And, I don’t know each states laws. But, in my state, at the simplest it costs me .40 for ever dollar I would pay out in pay roll. Then, I’ve got my own taxes. Each little town wants a business license. That averages $300 per municipality. Then I have to pay for my tools. My vehicles. My insurance. Then I have to chase my money because people complain AFTER the work is done that I’m too high.

I love this kind of work. I just hate it when I hear the moaning and complaining. I didn’t get into this to make Walmart salaries. But, the average homeowner wants you to work for less than McDonald’s part time.

WoodBow

WKR
$800 will buy a lot of pipe and fittings. I feel like the majority of construction projects is people being taken advantage of. They are going to bill you for as much as they can get away with. I would imagine they are charging $150 an hour. Even if they are, that's almost seven hours of billed labor? To hook up a few vanities?

And we mark up parts? By how much? Double? Quadruple?

I'm all for people making money. I just think things need to be made clear up front. Itemized list of materials. If you mark up parts, ok, I don't expect you to go shopping for free, but the customer should be made aware up front.

The mess is just lack of professionalism.

WCB

WKR
I hear ya. I also got a quote for a carpet install in a ~1000 sq foot finished basement. $19,000 total installation and material for carpet that was about $3.50 a sq foot... I decided to install vinyl planks myself for a fraction of that cost. When did everything get so damn expensive
Sounds like rate was about right on the plumbing job...the mess is 100% uncalled for.

As far as the carpet installation cost. Let me know if you know anyone wanting to replace carpet in their house. Assuming stretch in install... I'll fly in from MN and install it for way less than that. Grew up in a family flooring business and ran crews, did commercial and residential. at roughly 111yds that is a 1 1/2 day job for two guys (maybe 1 day depending on seams layout, etc. $15500 of labor cost on that job is insane. I don't care about it having to pay for a work van and "equipment" absolutely insane.

Makes me re think my decision to go another route professionally.

WCB

WKR
$800 will buy a lot of pipe and fittings. I feel like the majority of construction projects is people being taken advantage of. They are going to bill you for as much as they can get away with. I would imagine they are charging $150 an hour. Even if they are, that's almost seven hours of billed labor? To hook up a few vanities?

And we mark up parts? By how much? Double? Quadruple?

I'm all for people making money. I just think things need to be made clear up front. Itemized list of materials. If you mark up parts, ok, I don't expect you to go shopping for free, but the customer should be made aware up front.

The mess is just lack of professionalism.
40% mark up is IMO insane. Also, guy probably bought them at discount price and marked them up from retail. But if people are willing to pay it and a guy keeps busy doing it....good for him.

OP
basket8

basket8

FNG
Sounds like rate was about right on the plumbing job...the mess is 100% uncalled for.

As far as the carpet installation cost. Let me know if you know anyone wanting to replace carpet in their house. Assuming stretch in install... I'll fly in from MN and install it for way less than that. Grew up in a family flooring business and ran crews, did commercial and residential. at roughly 111yds that is a 1 1/2 day job for two guys (maybe 1 day depending on seams layout, etc. $15500 of labor cost on that job is insane. I don't care about it having to pay for a work van and "equipment" absolutely insane.

Makes me re think my decision to go another route professionally.
When I started asking questions about the price break down he interrupted me to say "I can tell price is an important factor for you" yeah no shit sherlock. I walked out of the store shortly after that comment.

grfox92

WKR
When doing s job as a bid, we do not itemize material or labor. We will itemize phases of the job. Example, house framed, sheeted and dried in $XYZ, Siding, Facia, Exterior trim $XYZ.

When working time and material on a smaller job, there should be some type of breakdown of materials and labor so the customer knows what they are paying for.

If there was more than one guy and they were there for a full day, that labor price is pretty in line. Plumbers at $125 an hour and a helper at $75 adds up quick.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
basket8

basket8

FNG
When doing s job as a bid, we do not itemize material or labor. We will itemize phases of the job. Example, house framed, sheeted and dried in $XYZ, Siding, Facia, Exterior trim $XYZ.

When working time and material on a smaller job, there should be some type of breakdown of materials and labor so the customer knows what they are paying for.

If there was more than one guy and they were there for a full day, that labor price is pretty in line. Plumbers at $125 an hour and a helper at $75 adds up quick.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
yeah I dont have an issue with the labor costs. But if I paid $800 for materials I would at least like to know what I just purchased to put in my home and how it all added up. Some sort of evidence showing you didnt just pull a number out of your arse because you thought you could pull one over on me or that I didnt just buy fittings for your next 4 house visits.

Having too many people lined up willing to pay $125 an hour and a mark up on materials is not like friends bugging you to come volunteer your time and help out. the more you work the more you make. high demand comes with its benefits if youre willing to strike while the iron is hot.
Like I said...

And I've done the math. Over about 40-42 hours my profit margin goes way down. As well as my personal happiness going down and my stress level goes up.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If plumber piped all water lines and drains on three vanities, I think price was right on.

I lived in a rapidly developing area that was still recovering from a hurricane. The last time I needed a plumber we had a leak and I went with the first plumber to call me back and/or say they would fix it I a decent timeline. He came out, cut a bunch of holes in garage ceiling and master bedroom closet, attempted to fix the problem, and told me good luck on finding someone to do the drywall. He ended up not actually fixing the problem and I still had a leak when everything over. I feel like I should have learned a lesson, but I’m not sure what it is. At least he didn’t charge me too much.

My last electrician told me up front he was going to charge me extra for a same day weekend service call, came out and fixed the problem and I was glad to overpay to get my electricity back on.

i’m probably gonna generate some heat and draw some flack for the following comment, which is, of course meant to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek.
I respect everyone who works for a living. That being said.

Evolutionary ladder of the trades:

electrician (of course I would believe this… I am an electrician)
good plumber
finish carpenter / Cabinet maker
tile setter
framer
flooring installer

Often must bail the crew out of jail to do a job:
sheet rockers
roofers
Painters

bad plumber: Destroys all the work of the other trades just to put his pipes in. Leaves a mess everywhere leaves empty sardine cans under the sink. Has terrible farts. Charges too much on top of it all

I would also add the evolutionary ladder of construction...

Industrial
Commercial
Residential

Your already in the bottom 3rd of the barrel with it being Residential work...not hard for things to go sideways from there.

GSPHUNTER

WKR

Industrial
Commercial
Residential

Your already in the bottom 3rd of the barrel with it being Residential work...not hard for things to go sideways from there.
You forgot A/C mechanics, and by that, I mean good ones. And same goes for the A/C trade regarding the ladder, industrial/commercial, residential. Most of the help in residential are only good for running ductwork and line sets, then the technical part, evacuating refrigeration equipment, charging and start-up gets turned over to the skilled mechanics.

Industrial
Commercial
Residential

Not much detailed carpentry in commercial, and none in industrial.

Someone has to take money from the interior designers of the world.

I can't believe no one said anything about it taking 2 guys 8 hrs to hook up 3 vanities. that's 16 hours worth of work. that plumber would have been fired long before that. they spent too much time testing the toilet plumbing, did you check the fridge when you got home ?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Were the vanities already set? were the water and drain line already plumbed out of the wall with shutoff valves on water lines? Was the helper actually help or a gopher?

I'm not self employed or very tax savvy, care to explain?
You pay a state and federal fuel tax if you buy gas or fuel. You pay an accountant to keep your books to comply with tax laws. You pay half of an employees state employment rate. You pay tax on that income. Multiple times. This is just a start. But, you get the picture.