IW Inserts w/ Easton RPS Point Issue

Whisky

WKR
Just got some 5mm Axis match 300 shafts.
IW h50 inserts, per their recommendation chart for my shaft size.
Easton 9/32 RPS points, per their recommendation chart for my shaft size.
The insert with a broad head screwed in slide into the shaft no problem.
The field point slides into the shaft no problem, without an insert.
The field point screwed into the IW insert does NOT slide into the shaft, gets hung up on the ferrule. I forced it in a little bit and had to use a pliers to remove.
I neglected to try the factory Easton HIT and will do that first thing tonight (although I don't want to use their HIT).
Anybody have any ideas, either way? I called Easton and since I was using IW inserts they were not much help.
Any other recommendations for points that are confirmed to work with my set up?

Thanks

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Good to know. Easton needs to change their site.
They also didn't work with the Easton HIT.

MattB

WKR
Should use the 17/64 for Axis.

Should that matter in terms of what fits into the shaft and what doesn't? My understanding is they should be made to AMO specs and if they are they should fit regardless of the width of the point outside the shaft.

OR Archer

WKR
Should that matter in terms of what fits into the shaft and what doesn't? My understanding is they should be made to AMO specs and if they are they should fit regardless of the width of the point outside the shaft.
No it shouldn’t matter however the 17/64 is the same diameter as the Axis providing a nice flush fit.

are the points bent? I’ve had Easton field points wobble like crazy new out of the package before. If the point goes in fine without an insert and gets stuck with one the threads have to be out of alignment with the ferrule. Try a few turns into the insert so there is still some play but threads still exposed to and see what happens.

OR Archer

WKR
Good to know. Easton needs to change their site.
They also didn't work with the Easton HIT.
What type of glue did you use? Sometimes you will need to clean any excess glue out before a field point will fit into the shaft. A wire brush for rifle barrels works well. Also apply a bit of string wax to the threads and ferrule of the field point. Makes it easier to get them in.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
What type of glue did you use? Sometimes you will need to clean any excess glue out before a field point will fit into the shaft. A wire brush for rifle barrels works well. Also apply a bit of string wax to the threads and ferrule of the field point. Makes it easier to get them in.

Have not glued anything in yet. It was a dry run to test fit.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
are the points bent? I’ve had Easton field points wobble like crazy new out of the package before. If the point goes in fine without an insert and gets stuck with one the threads have to be out of alignment with the ferrule. Try a few turns into the insert so there is still some play but threads still exposed to and see what happens.

Interesting. Tried 6 out of 12 points, and they go in with only a few turns into the insert, but not when all the way screwed in.

Interesting. Tried 6 out of 12 points, and they go in with only a few turns into the insert, but not when all the way screwed in.

So something is out of alignment, I would bet on the points. Now take the insert depth tool and figure out how deep that insert actually fits and how many turns the field points will go in when installed and see if you can still get them in. Either way I would build your arrows, its sounding like a field point problem.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Run your FPs into a 8-32 die. You may have burrs that are slightly expanding the inserts. They should screw in with no resistance.