January in Arizona

El_fuego

FNG
Just a quick question that I can’t seem to find some info in other posts. Heading out first of the month for the first time in AZ, I’ll be targeting muleys. With this year’s lack of moisture am I safe to assume that it would be wise to hunt close to water even though there focused on the rut? I’m assuming the girls will still be visiting the water pretty regularly l. I don’t plan on sitting water but hunt the area around it.
Also I’ve been told that muleys like the flats and the cous are higher up in the landscape. This seems somewhat backwards to what I’m used to in other muley/white tail habitat. What kinda elevation difference are you seeing between the two of any? Am I on the right track or no? Thanks in advance for the help!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've spent the last 19 years hunting AZ as non-resident, still do.
since retired last 2 years, I have spent entire month December-Jan in AZ, scouting and hunting muleys & coues bucks.
this year has been the worst drought, from lack of summer-fall monsoon rains, that I have observed in my time.
that being said, yes, focus on areas near water. For muleys this year, near means within 2-3 miles!!

I tried hunting some water sources already this month since December 12 opener in my choice areas. Ran into several other archery hunters at some water holes a good hike distance in. Almost never happens but water near roads are mostly dried mud.
while scouting January muley units, very disturbing was seeing 5 or more game cams set upon each of these hike into water sources!

# of archery OTC deer hunters sure has changed in AZ from past years.

BBob

WKR
What part of the state are you planning to hunt?

If you are hunting below the rim then yes the desert mule deer will be at a lower elevation than the Coues (flats and base of the mountains) although in many areas they will overlap. You' ll find some Coues in the flats as well but generally higher.

OP
E

El_fuego

FNG
Hey thanks for info boys. I’ll be heading out northeast of Phoenix

AZmark

WKR
In some units you'll find the mule deer in just as high and rugged areas as the Coues. However I do see more mulies in lower country than I do Coues. Just got this guy last Sunday. Not gonna give exact locations though. He was in high rough country. BTW the MD rut has started.

Attachments

• FleshedOut1.jpg
    FleshedOut1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 63
Buddy has a tag for 20B which is NW of Phoenix. We put a ton of time in early scouting and trying to locate bucks but they didnt appear until the last couple of weeks. Even Muzzy season was tough with all the fires and dry landscape. You should be looking in the 4-6k elevation range and near water. When I say near water think within the same wash system or 1 over. Just a heads up...a majority of the water sources listed on any map are dry this year.

Good luck! It's on to Javi season for us.

Elkangle

WKR
We got our azz kicked in December...really don't know if I wana go back in January....all of our scouting from last year was worthless this year...alot of water was dried up..fires...deer moved...aka vanished

If I lived closer it would be manageable but being 1200 miles away its dang hard to keep tabs on deer with some of those conditions

Good luck everyone...definitely not an easy year

Trial153

WKR
We got our azz kicked in December...really don't know if I wana go back in January....all of our scouting from last year was worthless this year...alot of water was dried up..fires...deer moved...aka vanished

If I lived closer it would be manageable but being 1200 miles away its dang hard to keep tabs on deer with some of those conditions

Good luck everyone...definitely not an easy year
This is something we found year to year. We would go back to flats that held fair amounts of deer in them during our last hunt only to find them empty, and places that were devoid of deer the year before may have deer in it this jan.
Agree that its frustrating to find very little year to year correlation

OP
E

El_fuego

FNG
Very interesting observations. I wonder why such drastic findings. But definitely appreciate all the input. Sounds like being mobile may be the best tactic till I find a tank with water.

BBob

WKR
Very interesting observations. I wonder why such drastic findings. But definitely appreciate all the input. Sounds like being mobile may be the best tactic till I find a tank with water.
It's been a really abnormally dry year and many fires in various units. Some units have had a Covid camping boom with high numbers of people all over the place disrupting things. Water and yes keep moving until you find them. They are still there they just may have moved from last year.