Javelin Bipod Flush Mount - Carbon Stock

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,
Recently got my hands on a weatherby backcountry ti 2.0 in 6.5CM. I want to install the flush mount for my javelin bipod into the stock. I am a fan of flush cups and nothing protruding from the stock--so the flush bipod mount is appealing. The flush cups are only like 3/8" deep--so not too concerned about them. The javelin flush mount though is about 1/2" thick--so a little more concerned. Have any of you installed this?

Also, any pros/cons you can see for installing the bipod mount forward of the sling flush cup or vice versa? I am considering mounting the bipod mount forward of the sling flush cup for the rare occasion that I have a sling installed and need to quickly install the bipod. Just seems like less chance of interference. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

Fitzwho

WKR
I have 2 of mine mounted forward of the swivel stud and one that I just removed the swivel stud and used the existing hole as the pilot for the flush mount. I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer to carry my rifles, so I rarely have a sling attached to any of them. With that one rifle I guess I don't even have the option. You can always relocate the sling stud. It definitely makes more sense to me to have the bipod mounted forward of the sling stud.

I have been thinking about adding a second flush mount to my stocks just in front of the bottom metal for use with my tripod/Davros head, seems excessive though.

I would take the action/barrel out of the stock and measure the location you plan to mount it. If your stock isn't thick enough to recess the cup fully, you'll have to decide if slightly protruding is okay or not. One of mine sticks out slightly, but less than the sling stud does.

hunterjmj

WKR
I 2 of there gunsmith adapters. Haven't installed them yet. I've never had a sling on my rifle either. I need to do a bit more research on my stock before I go drilling. I'm running a McMillan Game Scout.

Seeknelk

WKR
I installed one in my Alamo precision. Has AG composites alpine hunter. Just used a 3/4 hole saw and some epoxy. I relish the moment before plunging a bit into an fancy , expensive stock😁. Kinda the same before using the porta band to make my Tikka barrel 18". Worked great on both fronts. Yeah... just measure the depth you have to seat it in.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Well--I wish I would have done it myself. Instead left it up to a 'gunsmith'. See results below. Do you have a couple of photos of your install? I am actually going to be calling the gunsmith today to further express the displeasure of ruining my $850 stock.

2rjs

FNG
Well--I wish I would have done it myself. Instead left it up to a 'gunsmith'. See results below. Do you have a couple of photos of your install? I am actually going to be calling the gunsmith today to further express the displeasure of ruining my $850 stock.

Wow, I have been debating the purchase of a Javelin with the gunsmith adapter but this is my biggest fear. I'm normally a diy'er but the thoughts of drilling my stock make me cringe!

I've also considered the classic adapter but it seems a lot of guys have twisting issues.

sndmn11

WKR
Wow, I have been debating the purchase of a Javelin with the gunsmith adapter but this is my biggest fear. I'm normally a diy'er but the thoughts of drilling my stock make me cringe!

I've also considered the classic adapter but it seems a lot of guys have twisting issues.

I have done 7 and they are all fine. A Dremel is helpful. No special tools are needed, but a piloted counterbore would be it if you decided to get something special.

The only thing to watch out for is making sure you don't crowd the swivel stud with the bipod's handle, especially if it is the pull out ratchet one.

2rjs

FNG
Are you using the Dremel for demurring only? Most of the videos I've watched they use Forstner bits.

2rjs

FNG
Also, do you typically install them towards the buttstock or in front of the swivel stud?

I’ve got a gunsmith adaptor I’m not going to use if anyone is interested. Brand new never opened. Just going a different route on this rifle.
Edit: sold.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I’ve got one I’m not going to use if anyone is interested. Brand new never opened. Just going a different route on this rifle.

How much?

Also, do you typically install them towards the buttstock or in front of the swivel stud?

In front of there is room. I have the pull out ratchet lever things in mine and like the lever facing me it does not pan. So most have needed to be on the butt side.

Are you using the Dremel for demurring only? Most of the videos I've watched they use Forstner bits.

I have used undersized bits because I don't want to buy a special one. I then use the Dremel to enlarge the hole.

How much?

In front of there is room. I have the pull out ratchet lever things in mine and like the lever facing me it does not pan. So most have needed to be on the butt side.

I have used undersized bits because I don't want to buy a special one. I then use the Dremel to enlarge the hole.
should have specified, its the gunsmith adaptor only, not a full bipod set up.
Edit: sold.

Last edited: