Jeep Gladiator.....good investment?

Hey everyone I’m heavily considering pulling the plug on anymore Tacoma vehicles. Before anyone says “it’s way more reliable” I totally believe you and have confidence in that statement. Considering I have over a million miles between an ‘88 Toyota PU, ‘03 SR5 and a ‘11 TRDOR. However I have a ‘18 TRDPRO Overland Build but even after all the add ons, lift, etc.. it’s just lack luster and boring. Reliable yes!....fun, exciting to drive or entertaining? No.... I come from a motor head family. Old man builds custom muscle cars for a living and we love our vehicles, but we also love driving them and want to enjoy the “driving experience” of them.

I honestly don’t know squat about Jeeps, their performance or reliability’s. However after not even considering them over my Tacoma’s I’m honestly very intrigued in the Gladiator. I prefer mid size trucks, I would absolutely love to have one of the new Rams however I honestly don’t “need” a full size truck. Plus I love the maneuverability of a mid size on some of the tight logging and forestry roads I take for hunting.

Any advice on the new Jeep would be appreciated!

Thanks guys and girls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
H
Investment?
I'm mean your gonna loose money, so that would make it a terrible investment technically.
In no possible way do I see you making money on it.

I know I’m going to loose some money, I’ll sell the Tacoma privately since I have a second vehicle. I’ll get more for it privately with all the add ons on it. Just curious how people have been liking them so far. If anyone possibly has had one for 6 months or so and has some good feedback to how it’s initially holding up.

78 Levis

FNG
No, there isn’t a Jeep on the lot worth the asking price. And hasn’t been since being taken over by Fiat.
The only jeeps worth investing in that will rise in value are older pre Yj’s and the one really one the rise and will probably Be the holy grail some day are the Lj’s. Especially Rubicon Lj’s.

Trr15

WKR
Curious to see the replies here. I had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and loved it. Put about 40K on it before i traded it and never had any problems. With the rear locker and sway bar disconnect it was the most off-road capable stock vehicle I've ever owned. I'm probably going to own another one within the next few years. With that said, I want to like the Gladiator, but man, I just don't know. Stock, right off the lot, i think they're ugly as hell. Ive seen some lifted with 37-40" tires and some aftermarket add-ons and they look kind of cool. Just not sold on them though.

• Banned
OP
H
No, there isn’t a Jeep on the lot worth the asking price. And hasn’t been since being taken over by Fiat.
The only jeeps worth investing in that will rise in value are older pre Yj’s and the one really one the rise and will probably Be the holy grail some day are the Lj’s. Especially Rubicon Lj’s.

Good to know, wasn’t sure if I was going to be entertaining the thought on something as expensive as a Gladiator only to discover its unreliable or it’s value vanishes overnight.

• Banned
OP
H
Curious to see the replies here. I had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and loved it. Put about 40K on it before i traded it and never had any problems. With the rear locker and sway bar disconnect it was the most off-road capable stock vehicle I've ever owned. I'm probably going to own another one within the next few years. With that said, I want to like the Gladiator, but man, I just don't know. Stock, right off the lot, i think they're ugly as hell. Ive seen some lifted with 37-40" tires and some aftermarket add-ons and they look kind of cool. Just not sold on them though.

I agree the bone stock look hideous but man oh man do those lifted Gladiators look mean!! What I loved about them is first and foremost is the power! I test drove one and man did it have way more balls than my tuned down 3.5L Tacoma. I get the whole logic, “it’s a turd but it will be a turd for a million miles” but I’m honestly burnt on that. There is just nothing exciting about the truck when I hop in.

• Banned
OP
H
The lifted ones are so sexy!!!
1071a9296b09bf999d8e869eaf53c8c2.jpg

OP
H
I’d just super charge the Trd Pro and save that insane price tag of a Gladiator.

I have considered doing the OV Tune and 5.29 gears but just kind of sucks to have to pay all that extra when there are other vehicles with initially way more power.

78 Levis

FNG
This was the Holy Grail I spoke of. They will be the new Scrambler of this generation.

of course this is opinion based, but I don't think it's a good investment… any rig is an ok investment if you keep them long, if not, it's tough to go wrong with a Toyota (as everyone knows)

I may be bias because I think the gladiator is ugly, and the only 2 rigs I ever had that I hated were Jeeps. I recently drove a friend's Rubicon, it's a sweet looking rig, but I just don't like Jeep suspension for the road. I want no part of a Jeep.

I have a 2018 taco TRD OR right now, and I feel you on kinda boring... don't know why it feels that way, because it's the best Toyota small pickup in every way, and I have had every vintage of Tacoma TRD's, as well as a couple pre Tacoma PU's, and a 08' tundra, and a couple 4runners

the new pickup rides way smoother than my previous Tacoma's, much better power, relatively good MPG (compared to the 3.4L and 4L priors) and handles better, but I don't love it. i'm itching for a Colorado ZR2, that's probably what i'll end up with.

I too like small pickups, I loved my tundra, that thing was so comfortable, and had a lot of power, but it was just too dang big in the woods, and I spend a lot of time in the woods, so it had to go.

if I don't get a ZR2, I will probably get a tundra, and a 89-95' standard cab Toyota pickup with the 22re... those are great woods pickups, and I wish I had just held onto my last one. if I only have one rig, it's gotta be small.

I was excited about the Ranger Raptor, but I think they will be too wide for my taste when they finally show up in USA, and I think they will be crazy expensive too.

I think the Colorado ZR2 is a pretty sweet option if you like small pickups and don't want a Taco. I can't put my finger on what I don't like about my pickup, but I am right there with you.... been excellent, does well everywhere, it's just kinda boring, and how it shifts has me driving ticket speed everywhere I go.... really hard to drive slow (that could all be in my head and all me, haha, but it seems like i'm a worse than my previous self speeder in my current taco)

78 Levis

FNG
I have considered doing the OV Tune and 5.29 gears but just kind of sucks to have to pay all that extra when there are other vehicles with initially way more power.

I understand. That’s why when I bought my Limited 4Runner I got the V8. If you want a cool rig with power but enjoy the 4Runner I would look for an 09, V8. That was last year of the V8 and also a trail version. Kinda like a pre-Trd pro.

OP
H
of course this is opinion based, but I don't think it's a good investment… any rig is an ok investment if you keep them long, if not, it's tough to go wrong with a Toyota (as everyone knows)

I may be bias because I think the gladiator is ugly, and the only 2 rigs I ever had that I hated were Jeeps. I recently drove a friend's Rubicon, it's a sweet looking rig, but I just don't like Jeep suspension for the road. I want no part of a Jeep.

I have a 2018 taco TRD OR right now, and I feel you on kinda boring... don't know why it feels that way, because it's the best Toyota small pickup in every way, and I have had every vintage of Tacoma TRD's, as well as a couple pre Tacoma PU's, and a 08' tundra, and a couple 4runners

the new pickup rides way smoother than my previous Tacoma's, much better power, relatively good MPG (compared to the 3.4L and 4L priors) and handles better, but I don't love it. i'm itching for a Colorado ZR2, that's probably what i'll end up with.

I too like small pickups, I loved my tundra, that thing was so comfortable, and had a lot of power, but it was just too dang big in the woods, and I spend a lot of time in the woods, so it had to go.

if I don't get a ZR2, I will probably get a tundra, and a 89-95' standard cab Toyota pickup with the 22re... those are great woods pickups, and I wish I had just held onto my last one. if I only have one rig, it's gotta be small.

I was excited about the Ranger Raptor, but I think they will be too wide for my taste when they finally show up in USA, and I think they will be crazy expensive too.

I think the Colorado ZR2 is a pretty sweet option if you like small pickups and don't want a Taco. I can't put my finger on what I don't like about my pickup, but I am right there with you.... been excellent, does well everywhere, it's just kinda boring, and how it shifts has me driving ticket speed everywhere I go.... really hard to drive slow (that could all be in my head and all me, haha, but it seems like i'm a worse than my previous self speeder in my current taco)

I 100% agree with you on the “boring” aspect of the Tacoma. I honestly can’t say there is really anything wrong with the truck but it’s just “Egh”. Plus the shifting does drive me bonkers sometimes.

hodgeman

WKR
Look at the tanking sales and resale numbers of the Gladiator and make up your mind.

People who have bought them, seem to be disappointed and moving new ones is taking incentives for folks on the fence to pull the trigger.

Not really a good sign on a 2 year old model.

For what I’ve seen the Gladiators sell for I’d think you’d be better off going with one of the new Colorado ZR2’s.

Every review I’ve seen of the ZR2’s are very positive. Can’t say the same about the Jeep.

come2elmo

WKR
I am toying with getting one in a couple of years. Let them bake a little bit and show up on the used market for a while. IntriguEd about the eco diesel version But also a new thing. look at the sport s model with the max tow package. You get the same axles and gears as a rubicon but you have to put in your own lockers and better shocks. Most people say that is the way to go if you plan on some mods. Otherwise the rubicon is the easiest to mod out with bigger tires. It is a Jeep. Jeeps are spendy but when done right they are cool. Kinda like an AR.

tdhanses

WKR
Isn‘t the towing cpcity something like 4K, useless small bed, I see no reason it’s good at anything but I’m not a Jeep fan.