Jeep Gladiator - good hunting rig?

RunNGunSC

FNG
I’m looking into buying a hunting rig. My current truck is 14 years old and just isn’t cutting it. I also can’t trust it to make the long drive out west. I’m looking at either the rubicon or Mojave trims. The only upgrades I’m considering are 35” tires and a winch. Any thoughts or feedback from anyone? The other options I was considering were an F250 with FX package, trail boss, or Silverado 2500. I don’t pull anything currently and am focusing more on off road capability (likely taking a few solo trips). What type of road conditions do you typically run into trying to get to trailheads? Mainly focused on CO, WY, and NM.

Trr15

WKR
I think they’re nice rigs and would be awesome on the trail, but I don’t know that they have the cargo capacity I would need for long distance hunting trips. You may pack lighter than me, but I use every square inch of my Ram 2500 crew cab when traveling long distances to hunt.

I have a JL Rubicon and an F350. Without a doubt the Jeep is better for tight forest roads. A gladiator would push a little towards the F250 but still better overall on getting in/out.

Skip the Mojave as it doesn’t have a front locker. If you want to go fast, get a raptor. If you don’t want a front locker get a Superduty Tremor or even the F150 tremor.

I prefer solid axles off-road, but those F150’s would have better ride, payload and fuel range than a Jeep…

nphunter

WKR
You won't find a more capable truck than a Gladiator Rubicon for off-road use. I wish they had a long box option but if you get a canopy you will have plenty of space for hauling gear. I personally went to a Tacoma for a hunting vehicle coming from a Jeep Rubicon and the Tacoma can't touch the Rubicon off-road, the toyota is nicer driving down the interstate and has more room with the bed and topper but also gets worse mileage than my Rubicon with 5:13's and 37's did.
For a dedicated hunting vehicle, the Gladiator Rubicon with 35's and a topper would be hard to beat, the only downside is that they do not have a long enough box to sleep in the back but a pop up tent and cot solve that issue.

Weldor

WKR
Ram Megacab to get there, JKU on a trailer or my Can am pro xt. My jeep can go most places, the Can am pretty much goes anywhere. My neighbor has the Mohave, 12 mpg. My JKU 3 in. lift 33's tuned 18-20mpg both have auto trans. I think the Diesel Gladiator is the way to go if you could only have one.

xsn10s

WKR
Ram Megacab to get there, JKU on a trailer or my Can am pro xt. My jeep can go most places, the Can am pretty much goes anywhere. My neighbor has the Mohave, 12 mpg. My JKU 3 in. lift 33's tuned 18-20mpg both have auto trans. I think the Diesel Gladiator is the way to go if you could only have one.
I was looking at the Mahindra ROXOR turbo diesel yesterday. If a side by side or trailered rig is an option then it might be an option. Something like 34 mpg, going broke saving money lol.

True but I also like to get back home. That's why I went solid axle (Jeep) over IFS (Bronco) even though I'm more of a Ford/Bronco fanboy.

My old man used to use the family station wagon. I don't think he needed 4wd due to the high weight of that tank

xsn10s

WKR
I prefer solid axles but it is true IFS is more comfortable of some roads. I had a 93 F250 that was shortened to shortbox. Lifted 6" and 35's on it and it was really comfortable on washboard roads. It just couldn't go where my XJ can go on 33's.

Driving a rental Gladiator this week. It's definately shorter and narrower than the F150 at home.
The Jeep doesn't have enough room for my left arm, The running boards get in the way of entering the vehical, lots of the controls are in the "wrong" places, and the space under the back seat is filled with jeep parts. Won't be on the short list to replace the F150.

Weldor

WKR
It's a Jeep, just exchage every part. You get used to it after awhile. I've been driving them since I was 15 years old. They still ride rough usually get terrible gas mileage,need lots of repairs through the years. So after 43 years I still can't get away from them. They are great when you need them, not so much a commuter vehicle. Trucks obviously are a better ride for day to day.

yfarm

WKR
Guides vehicle on large ranches in south tx,boom winch on the rear bumper to load nilgai into the bed. Demo done on 23 Mojave, couldnt believe the difference in driveability compared with my 13 JKUR. On my short list for a replacement vehicle. Comments about fatigue factor on long road trips gives me pause, familiar with it from the ‘13 Jeep. Have a 23 Bronco WT Sas, great long distance vehicle, no wander or fatigue just wish it was 12-16”longer to sleep in the back.

Mosby

WKR
I switched from a Suburban to a Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with front and rear lockers for hunting. IMO, full size trucks are too big for narrow trails out west and can be really difficult to turn around when you get off road. Getting to big trailheads with large parking areas isn't a problem with most vehicles but that's one reason there are 50 trucks sitting in the parking lot. I prefer to get away from all that but if you are planning on staying on forest service roads and parking at larger trailheads, a larger truck would be a great option, especially for highway driving.

I've been in heavy snow, ice and thick mud out west depending on time of year and my Colorado has been about the perfect sized vehicle for what I do. I wouldn't buy anything without decent ground clearance and front and rear differentials. I don't like Wranglers for hunting because I do a lot of highway driving to get to where I'm going and the road noise is awful. Wranglers/Bronco's are nice but too small for me, tents, equipment. etc. For local stuff they are great. I also bird hunt a lot and need room for dog kennels. A small truck bed works great for me and a Jeep Gladiator in the right trim should work as well as anything.