Josh Smith from Montana Knife Company

SWOHTR

WKR
Tough crowd…. Small town blue collar guy, started his own business after decades of perfecting his craft, became successful, seems to do a lot for his community and an overall plus for hunting. If we can’t root for him who are we ok with?
I think a lot of it is the social media marketing and influencer types that grind people’s gears, not so much the product.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
People are gonna b!tch if they did random drops too. In the grand scheme of some knifemaker drops, MKC knives do not sell out fast, at all...

Thats very cool of him to do. The drop thing is frustrating for me as well and it just creates a secondary market of resellers charging more than MSRP. Wish they would just take orders with a lead time like winkler and others.. I am almost never quick enough on the drops but I did snag a magnacut speedgoat last year and it's really nice

Those are cool looking knives. I had never heard of them.

Unfortunately, I won't be buying any knives that I can't purchase without participating in some hyped up "drop." The "create a shortage" business model is incredibly off-putting for me.

Marble

WKR
My dad likes unique types of knives and other gadgets and enjoys the random gift. At 74, he would enjoy getting something we can use to clean and quarter one of our animals this next fall.

Additionally, being that it comes from a small business, he (we) would be more inclined to support this guy and get something that most don't have. Kicking the idea around....I've got an employee that just hit 30 years with us. He and I are hunting partners. He's a world champion archer and very successful. He's one of those guys (like me and much of you) that hard to shop for. He would appreciate something unique and "small batch".

I'll kick the idea around. Need to get him something...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
Thanks for posting- will look at ordering a hatchet from them. I have a couple benchmades that I love but I would like to order something more special and small business going forward.
You could do a Ruana hand made in Bonner Montana since 1938!

View attachment 699962

hoff1ck

WKR
I'd love to give him mine as well. He seems like a good dude who makes a very good product.
I'm just simply not prepared to dick around in a stupid online race to do it
I think the drop aspect gets a bit overblown, but maybe I’ve just been lucky.

There’s been 3 models I’ve wanted that were all the initial release for that particular knife. I was on 5 minutes early with my info saved to my account and had 0 issues getting any of them. Took an extra 5-6 minutes out of my night. You do need to be online on time, but it’s not like it’s a race to check out either. There’s ample time to check out and buy a knife prior to them selling out.

I do really like Josh and MKC because of how he handles his business and what he stands for, so I’ll continue to support them.

Cheesy

FNG
A grown man bitched at somebody over the internet because he didn't get to buy a product he wanted to buy because 100s (1000s?) of others also wanted to buy it and he felt he was cheated out of the opportunity in an effort to guilt him into selling one if it became available?

You win some. You lose some. Nothing was lost. You go on.

The customer service is good, but like others have have said the influencer stuff and the "drops" are annoying and I'm over it.

I fell into the hype early and bought a couple knives. They are nice, and light but was very disappointed with edge retention. Style, blade shape and weight were very nice.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting- will look at ordering a hatchet from them. I have a couple benchmades that I love but I would like to order something more special and small business going forward.
I have two of their knives, the Steelhead and the 5AD. Love them both. Each of my son's also has a Steelhead knife. I don't need another Ruana but their hatchet sure is nice. Good people out there also. Mike & Mark Hangus.

I don't own a MKC knife yet, but I have looked at a couple of them and they seem to be a really nice well made knife. I've tried to get one for our Montana Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife Banquet coming up on April 20th in Missoula but no luck so far. I think it would be a great auction or raffle item and would raise money to help us continue our fight. I went in with Ruana and I paid half for one of their knives and they dontated the other half so we have one of those at our banquet. It would have been nice to have two Made in Montana knives. I tried but no luck. Maybe next year.

I do have one that I use for quartering mostly. And yes, it requires some good cleaning.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
It quicker to just replace the paracord...I just rewrap at the end of season, if I haven't already used to for something else by the end of season. I use paracord with the reflective strip in it so I can find it on the ground in the dark with head lamp.

I use my mini speedgoat the most.

Marble

WKR
It quicker to just replace the paracord...I just rewrap at the end of season, if I haven't already used to for something else by the end of season. I use paracord with the reflective strip in it so I can find it on the ground in the dark with head lamp.

I use my mini speedgoat the most.
That's actually a great idea.

I typically just scrub mine thoroughly with a brush and soap. I get the big stuff but then just put it back into the sheath and wait for the next kill.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
A grown man bitched at somebody over the internet because he didn't get to buy a product he wanted to buy because 100s (1000s?) of others also wanted to buy it and he felt he was cheated out of the opportunity in an effort to guilt him into selling one if it became available?

You win some. You lose some. Nothing was lost. You go on.
All I’m thinking is this guy has turned a business into success and gets a second to spend some hard earned time and money to hit up UFC 300 !! And he is getting texts about the internet not being fair and working perfectly.