WTS Just a heads up about scammers

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
GabPay, and supposedly Zelle doesn't do it.

Yeah, no. Everybody understands you're not liable to pay taxes on the losses, the problem is you get the darn 1099 from PayPal/Venmo and have to account for it and prove that you don't owe taxes. I'd rather just skip the 1099 in the first place and leave me alone. Everything I sell is at a loss so I don't need one of the new 80k IRS agents looking through 1099's and my receipts from something I bought 10 years ago and decided to sell to determine if I owe taxes or not.

That's what it's really about to me. The "man" trying to force control on every aspect of our lives.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've seen sellers on here offer to have a short video call to verify they are real and the condition (or existence) of the item. That might become the most foolproof way!
I always offer a video call, and in over a dozen transactions no one has ever taken me up on it. a couple of guys have wanted phone calls, most just send the payment.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Scammers are the worst! Getting worse by the day also.
Just had a text saying I had to pay my utility bill or it would be shut off in the next hour. Call the number now. Funny because my bill is on autopay and not late!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted my phone number on a post in here earlier (Just because I've done it a bunch of times before and here and never had an issue) anyways, Just got a text from what I would consider to be the perfect model of how most every scammer operates right now. Obviously I'm not 100% positive but, I would definitely bet a paycheck on it. So I figured I'd post it here in hopes of either the guy proving he's not a scammer ...View attachment 553084or showing everybody here that he is...
I hope you removed your phone number from public view?

mdtennant

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for posting this.

I am very new to selling / buying on Rokslide and certainly have had moments of wondering if the item I just paid for is going to show up, especially if shipping is delayed or the seller is somewhat non-responsive. So far, everyone I have dealt with has been pretty awesome. That said, I do check their rating and confirm they are a legitimate contributor to the forum.

I have had people ask if they could call me before paying, which I think is good idea and I so encourage that.

Glad you caught it. I think if someone texted me directly I would also have them contact me through the forum so I could confirm rating / activity, as well as potentially setting up a call of some sort. Clearly you caught it with the information you obtained.

It is super aggravating That we need to deal with thieving scumbags. Gear is not cheap. As sellers we almost always take a loss on the sale and are merely trying to recover some of that so it doesn’t sting as much. As buyers we want a fair deal and don’t want to get scammed. It wouldn’t be that difficult if people were fair and respectful to one another, which aside from the scammers, most folks on here are, or at least have been to me.

Good catch here and thanks for sharing.

Jauwater

WKR
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I won’t accept Goods & Services payments anymore either for the items I resell because of the tax law.

I often purchase items with the thought that I’ll probably end up selling said item in the future. I’m a gear nut, and gotta at least give everything a try once. Then often the item is sold in like new condition, at a discounted price. I’ve done this hundreds of times. If I gotta start making face time calls, written notes, and keeping any information my accountant needed to prove to the IRS I’m not making a profit on the resales, and also whatever extra I may have to pay the accountant sure makes it seem not even worth trying to sell anything. Not to mention rising shipping costs.

I’ve make tons on sales on this forum, and I have been scammed once. It wasn’t even a WTB ad. I had all the red flags to stay away. I could have prevented that experience. Even today, with all the scammers on the site I’d still say 99.9% of your experiences will be positive, and most often if we stay diligent in our thinking we can prevent ourselves from being scammed. They’re out there, and they’re gonna keep doing their thing. I suggest to not let the bad guys ruin it for all of us. Easier said than done, I realize.

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I don't have any idea how to do a video call and I'm not gonna learn to buy and sell gear.

Imagine id have to download an app, give it permission to everything on my phone, create yet another login and password.

Yeah nah, ill just buy new and dump it in the garbage when I'm done.

And no I also do not have any form of a computer that really works ether.
I'm resisting the tech.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
^ with a 94 rating for buying/selling, I think you can probably skip the video thing :D

I'm not a fan of the 1099; I'm crappy about keeping receipts, so it's F&F for me now on. I've bought/sold thousands of dollars of gear on this and other forums, if someone is still not comfortable purchasing an item from me- it's OK :)