A quick heads up abut onX Backcountry

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNG
Even though my issues are with OnX backcountry, the problems I cover in this topic pretty much applies to all OnX software.

First and foremost, I have the most up to date version of this on my phone. Now I'm the most illiterate person when it comes to general use of a phone. This app explicitly requires basic common use of a phone which I don't have but that doesn't change anything I'm going to cover.

Second thing is this is to make people who may not know, all of the issues that matter when it comes to this App so you don't get screwed over.

The final aspect I want to mention before getting into this topic, is that, on Monday, I am going to call OnX customer service number, and explain everything I list in this topic so they are aware of it. I did try calling them Saturday, however they weren't open.

Ok that being said, now onto the topic:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Onx backcountry is useless for planning anything and never should have been released in it's unfinished condition Even though this video is 2 years old, Look at the date of my comment here because the problems I list below are from the current download of it.

This app has no glossary and no legend/key (Here is an example of what I'm talking about):
The map shows undefined red, black, blue, and green lines (The legend/key is specifically designed to define things that are on a map)
Aside from the many colored lines not being defined, there are multiple clusters of them on the map, no one would ever know what cluster to go to.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In it's current state, There is no way to plan a thru-hike using this because it doesn't have any premapped routes for things such as the Appalachian Trail. Regardless of what version the app is (Free or paid), Typing in Appalachian Trail, should automatically show me the entire trail line from Georgia/Maine. What's even more ridiculous, is how there is no suggestion that denotes the starting/end points within Georgia/Maine.

The reality for someone planning a thru-Hike of the AT with this is that a person would be able to finish the entire hike of the AT before they would ever be able to finish a thru-hike plan route for the AT.

Since a person is required to their own research in order to do any type of planning, that means the individual planning would be someone who would not only have to know the entire layout of the AT and everything on it and in between which would include all towns, names, camping spots, parks, hostels..etc..which is not only not feasible but it's outright unacceptable.

OnX should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this unfinished app in the condition. The 7 day trial is literally a free 7 day use of what they claim is the premium version (So you are being shown what you get before you shell out money) the problem is that the 7 day free trial can barely do anything listed in what it shows the premium version is supposed to have/do. 3/4 of the features listed in the premium version either don't work or aren't in the 7 day trial which they should be. But right now $30 for an unfinished app that you cannot even check out the premium options, is silly. No one is going to fork over $30 when an individual cannot even test the premium options that are supposed to be in the trial in order to make a decision to invest $30

This is absolutely idiotic and Onx backcountry should be ashamed of themselves never should have been released in it's unfinished condition

• Banned
OP

FNG
Maybe you should have talked to them BEFORE you join a forum to complain about them in your first post. Makes me question why you joined.
Lets look at a real good look at your reply:
1. You full well know OnX is used by people on this forum.
2. You read the topic title which means you clearly know I'm giving people a heads to avoid this app.

Conclusion:
How about you refrain from making any more stupid replies as if it's some mystery as to why I did it and trying to say me warning people is somehow not welcome.

Got any screenshots to explain your complaints? Most people here use OnX Hunt. Never had any issues understanding the information on the screen, especially since you turn most of them on or off with the layers tool or they're described when you "click" on them.

What app is a better alternative that has the features you're describing?

• Banned
OP

FNG
Got any screenshots to explain your complaints? Most people here use OnX Hunt. Never had any issues understanding the information on the screen, especially since you turn most of them on or off with the layers tool or they're described when you "click" on them.

What app is a better alternative that has the features you're describing?
Why would I have screenshots from a phone?
Anyway I cannot say anything about HUNT but the fact is Onx backcountry simply cannot do 3/4 of the things it advertises for premium, I know this because I have it. Since hunt was base doff backcountry I have to assume the same exact problems carry over so let me ask you this
Does hunt have a glossary and a legend/key? (I bet it doesn't) the people who made onx says back country has a legend, but it doesn't

Here is a link to a youtube video titled Masterclass: onX Backcountry 101 - Master the App
Note it was 10 months ago The probem is, things they're showing in that video don't even exist on the app

Jethro

WKR
I don't have backcountry, have hunt. But the website clearly states the free version is not all that is included with the premium or elite package.

If its like hunt version, you tap on any of the colored lines it will tell you what it is. Its a legend on demand.

Now I'm the most illiterate person when it comes to general use of a phone. This app explicitly requires basic common use of a phone which I don't have

Good luck to you. Its a fine line between something not working and not knowing how to work something.

87TT

WKR
I still stand by my reply. Four posts and all bashing Onx. How about an introduction and maybe a question about hunting or shooting? Sounds kind of like "trolling " to me. Don't make me drop a Meme.

OP

FNG
Well the fact that you don't know how to take screenshots on a phone tells me everything I need to know.
2 things wrong:

1. How did you even draw that conclusion when I said WHY WOULD I HAVE SCREENSHOTS FROM A PHONE, nowhere does it say I don't know how?

2. Also why don't you and the rest of you clowns quit acting like someone not knowing how to take a screenshot means anything because that's it's a hidden feature that is required to be told to you by the company which they have never said anywhere is even a function. Aside from that it's a function that requires an extremely precise set of circumstances to even do so it's not something anyone is going to tell me they FIGURED out either.

What a surprise, another stupid reply from a clown who cannot read with idiots that just go along with it.

Stop making stupid comments unrelated to anything trying to act like you're better than someoen else by mentioning something that doesn't even make any sense to try and use to talk down to someone.

2 things wrong:

1. How did you even draw that conclusion when I said WHY WOULD I HAVE SCREENSHOTS FROM A PHONE, nowhere does it say I don't know how?

2. Also why don't you and the rest of you clowns quit acting like someone not knowing how to take a screenshot means anything because that's it's a hidden feature that is required to be told to you by the company which they have never said anywhere is even a function. Aside from that it's a function that requires an extremely precise set of circumstances to even do so it's not something anyone is going to tell me they FIGURED out either.

What a surprise, another stupid reply from a clown who cannot read with idiots that just go along with it.

Stop making stupid comments unrelated to anything trying to act like you're better than someoen else by mentioning something that doesn't even make any sense to try and use to talk down to someone.
Maybe ONx isn't for you, there's plenty of other mapping apps available. Quit the temper tantrum and do something to solve the issue, throwing a fit here isn't going to accomplish anything.

OP

FNG
Maybe ONx isn't for you, there's plenty of other mapping apps available. Quit the temper tantrum and do something to solve the issue, throwing a fit here isn't going to accomplish anything.
What is with you company shills coming out of the woodwork every time someoen makes a legitimate complaint about your product.

Seriously, every single time someone brings up massive flaws in something, all anyone says is maybe this isn't for you. Why? Why should someone be screwed out of the use of anything because of a companies incompetence?

How about the company actually fix their shit. How about that.

The bottom line is even if I were to not use it, the company still has an unusable product.

BTW Map basics 101, in order for any map to be semi-usable requires it to have both a glossary, and a 100% completed legend/key! ONX has neither.
The simple fact that people here don't even understand how much of a problem that is is mind numbing. Then again seeing the replies in this thread, tells me all I need to know.

What is with you company shills coming out of the woodwork
Not even close buddy, chill out a little bit and solve the problem. 99.9% of folks use ONx without any issue at all, if the app was UNUSABLE then no one would be able to use it and the company would have gone tits up years ago.

OP

FNG
Paper map. Protractor. Compass. Problem solved.
No argument from me on that one.
However what OnX has pulled and then has the balls to charge for it, is a problem.

People are more fixated on someone who has a legitimate complaint, than a company who rips people off. You would figure that people find a company ripping people off would be of interested and importance but apparently not.

BTW everything I said can be very easily verified by reading what I said and checking it against the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.