Justified shooting? What say you?

Rich M

WKR
I'm definitely surprised - this was wrong on so many levels.

You don't go get a gun to intimidate someone. On the flip side - you don't threaten and fight someone with a gun.

The now ex-wife of the shooter was a judge! Dang!

bdg848

WKR
There is 'barely squeak by "legally" speaking' and actually being a morally just use of force....and they aren't the same thing as evidenced here.

Gobbler36

WKR
Man
Tough outcome.
The guy coming out with the gun has to live with what he’s done for forever, and in my mind is a useless scum bag, but society has forgotten to use words instead of violence to peacefully solve issues.
This goes for Mr read as well I feel he was equally as dumb for showing up heated to someone else’s property and then approaching someone who brings out a firearm.
Tough deal all the way around and children are unfortunately the biggest victims

WCB

WKR
Man
Tough outcome.
The guy coming out with the gun has to live with what he’s done for forever, and in my mind is a useless scum bag, but society has forgotten to use words instead of violence to peacefully solve issues.
This goes for Mr read as well I feel he was equally as dumb for showing up heated to someone else’s property and then approaching someone who brings out a firearm.
Tough deal all the way around and children are unfortunately the biggest victims
When did society use words instead of violence? not sure that has ever been a thing.

Right now, in a Trailer park somewhere...
there is Toothless gun toting punk, saying to his Crack smoking wife -

Look Huney dey jus like us, out der in da real world!

Gobbler36

WKR
When did society use words instead of violence? not sure that has ever been a thing.
Hmmmm guess you’re right….
Guess I was hopeful people could talk through a problem instead of reaching for a Gun first. (Not an anti 2a comment) just so we’re clear
I exercise my carry right everyday

WCB

WKR
Guess I was hopeful people could talk through a problem instead of reaching for a Gun first. (Not an anti 2a comment) just so we’re clear
Oh I agree...and nothing wrong with some good ol' fist to cuffs sometimes but the "by law I can shoot you so I decided to go in side and get a gun" vs "I needed to defend myself so I grabbed my gun" are two seperate things here so I think we agree.

Not wanting things to escalate to a gunfight was no way taken as anti 2A.

Gobbler36

WKR
Oh I agree...and nothing wrong with some good ol' fist to cuffs sometimes but the "by law I can shoot you so I decided to go in side and get a gun" vs "I needed to defend myself so I grabbed my gun" are two seperate things here so I think we agree.

Not wanting things to escalate to a gunfight was no way taken as anti 2A.
Oh I know but never can tell how people comprehend things these days haha

Reactions: WCB

bsnedeker

WKR
In my opinion, as someone who also carries every day, if you have a firearm you have a moral obligation to at least attempt to de-escalate a situation before deadly force is brought to the table.

In this case the man went out of his way to escalate the situation when he 1. brought out the firearm in a situation where it was un-needed (at least in my opinion), and 2. fired the weapon (either an ND or a "warning shot") which is what turned this into a physical altercation (started wrestling for the gun).

Legally he may have been adjucated innocent and that's good enough for a lot of people, and I can't disagree with them honestly. I obviously prefer a world where self-defenders get the benefit of the doubt. I just hate the optics on cases like this. Anti-2A people don't care about the letter of the law, they just want guns gone, and this case gives them ammunition in their PR campaign against legal gun ownership and self-defense laws.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm pretty convinced the deceased was set up. No reaction to a dead body, and no real reaction to a guy stepping out of the house with a gun to address what has been a verbal argument over custody between two other people. Yeah, it may be his property, but he is likely in the know as far as a history of drama and it being the dad's night to have the kids. His gf didn't say a word when he came out with that gun. She got out of the way. I think most normal people would all start yelling when a gun shows up to a custody argument. This one seemed to get quieter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
In my opinion, as someone who also carries every day, if you have a firearm you have a moral obligation to at least attempt to de-escalate a situation before deadly force is brought to the table.

In this case the man went out of his way to escalate the situation when he 1. brought out the firearm in a situation where it was un-needed (at least in my opinion), and 2. fired the weapon (either an ND or a "warning shot") which is what turned this into a physical altercation (started wrestling for the gun).

Legally he may have been adjucated innocent and that's good enough for a lot of people, and I can't disagree with them honestly. I obviously prefer a world where self-defenders get the benefit of the doubt. I just hate the optics on cases like this. Anti-2A people don't care about the letter of the law, they just want guns gone, and this case gives them ammunition in their PR campaign against legal gun ownership and self-defense laws.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
My moto is gun on ego off
I think I heard that once on active self protection

Sad situation. Shooter should have entered the house with the girlfriend , locked the door and called police. When the little guy went in and got the firearm, he screwed up. He took it to the next level. It's a good thing it did not go to trial. I also hope for the sake of the shooter the dead man doesn't have a brother.